Sonar 8.5 Producer: Cakewalk TTS Loses Connection

Annabelle

I recently created a project with one of the synths being Cakewalk TTS1, but for some reason, I hear no sound when I play the keys. Is there a button that got turned off? I've been reading through the Caketalking tutorial, but I can't find anything that would tell me how to make certain buttons reappear in the Synth Rack. Specifically, the "Mute", "Solo", and "Act Learn" buttons don't seem to appear on the "Synth Property" page of the Cakewalk TTS 1" synth I've inserted into a project I've made. Yet they appear in the Cakewalk Template that is a 16-Track TTS 1 template. How do I make these buttons show again in my project? And, how do I make it so that I can navigate through the synths once again in my project? It seems that when I press the Arrow keys or the Tab and Shift+Tab keys, all I hear is, "Please press F6.". I do so, but nothing changes. I've checked all the Windows settings, like "Screen Resolution" and "Color Quality", and those seem to be optimal. I've checked to make sure that the Caketalking Control Surface is enabled, and it is. I've checked to make sure that only the peak meters are shown, and they are the only ones displayed on the screen. I've done a repair install of JAWS, but even that didn't work. What do I do next? Also, I could be wrong, but I believe Cakewalk TTS1 is a 32-bit plugin. I have a 64-bit version of Sonar, so I wonder if there's a 64-bit version of Cakewalk TTS1. If so, where can I find it? If not, I wonder if there's a softsynth that can produce the same sounds as Cakewalk TTS 1.

26 minutes ago, Annabelle said:

I believe Cakewalk TTS1 is a 32-bit plugin. I have a 64-bit version of Sonar, so I wonder if there's a 64-bit version of Cakewalk TTS1.

5 minutes ago, tecknot said:

Also, TTS1 is 32-bit only.  There is no 64-bit version.

TTS-1 is a DX format plug-in.

DX plug-ins only work in a host that has the same bitness.

IOW, 64-bit SONAR will not recognize, load or run 32-bit DX plug-ins. 

Unlike 32-bit plug-ins, there is no bridge available for DX plug-ins.

The TTS-1 loaded in 64-bit SONAR must be a 64-bit plug-in.

4 minutes ago, tecknot said:

Hi Annabelle,

It seems that all you need to do is enable Input Echo.  Although, without a screenshot it's hard to tell what is missing.  Also, TTS1 is 32-bit only.  There is no 64-bit version.

Kind regards,

tecknot

Is there a 64-bit softsynth that can produce the same instrument sounds as Cakewalk TTS 1? If so, what's the best one out there?

3 minutes ago, Annabelle said:

Is there a 64-bit softsynth that can produce the same instrument sounds as Cakewalk TTS 1? If so, what's the best one out there?

According to Steve:

5 minutes ago, scook said:

The TTS-1 loaded in 64-bit SONAR must be a 64-bit plug-in.

The TTS1 in 64-bit SONAR is 64-bit.  I guess that means that the version in SONAR 8.5 is 64-bit.  My apologies for the misinformation.

Kind regards,

tecknot

11 hours ago, tecknot said:

According to Steve:

The TTS1 in 64-bit SONAR is 64-bit.  I guess that means that the version in SONAR 8.5 is 64-bit.  My apologies for the misinformation.

Kind regards,

tecknot

Would you like me to post a screenshot of the synth rack in Sonar? Maybe I could send a project that includes Cakewalk TTS1?

Open the TTS1 User interface 

And make sure that the instrument track it is in is fully expanded so all the dialogue boxes show. Then take a screenshot 
But it does sound like input echo is off. Can you click on the little buttons at the bottom of each channel in the user interface to test it is making sound? 

Edited by John Vere

And to answer your question about replacing it with another instrument It depends on what instruments you require. The TTS-1 is best used as a way to play General Midi files. Most of us find it a bit dull sounding compared to sample based instruments. It can be enhanced with better effects but that gets complicated. 
So let us know what instruments you were looking for and then we can make recommendations about what’s available for free or dirt cheap.
There’s nothing in TTS-1 I would use in a song and I have no trouble replacing parts with better sounds from my collection of soft synths. And those are 90% free. I don’t think I’ve paid more than 20 dollars for a synth. 

14 hours ago, Annabelle said:

Munt MT-32 VST is close to the TTS-1. And stable too. The developer also got rid of the 15 bit shenanigans of the reverb and output. It's what the MT-32 should have been (and D-110.)

Edited by Terry Kelley

1 hour ago, John Vere said:

And to answer your question about replacing it with another instrument It depends on what instruments you require. The TTS-1 is best used as a way to play General Midi files. Most of us find it a bit dull sounding compared to sample based instruments. It can be enhanced with better effects but that gets complicated. 
So let us know what instruments you were looking for and then we can make recommendations about what’s available for free or dirt cheap.
There’s nothing in TTS-1 I would use in a song and I have no trouble replacing parts with better sounds from my collection of soft synths. And those are 90% free. I don’t think I’ve paid more than 20 dollars for a synth. 

Specifically I'm looking for that Leslie drawbar organ sound, kinda jazz and rock at the same time. One you can customize to switch on or off different drawbars, and control the speed of the Leslie.

The TTS-1 is best used as a way to play General Midi files. Most of us find it a bit dull sounding compared to sample based instruments.

Not based on anything I read, just based  on some Roland gear I have, but I thought TTS-1 used the PCM samples Roland used extensively in hardware ROMplers.  I never did a systematic comparison of things like the MT-32 sounds with the M-GS64 sounds, but I seem to recall from using them a while back that the PCM sounds were far less dull.

1 minute ago, User 905133 said:

Not based on anything I read, just based  on some Roland gear I have, but I thought TTS-1 used the PCM samples Roland used extensively in hardware ROMplers.  I never did a systematic comparison of things like the MT-32 sounds with the M-GS64 sounds, but I seem to recall from using them a while back that the PCM sounds were far less dull.

The TTS-1 uses the Roland SoundCanvas sound set, which is the same as the M-GS64, and all of the sound canvas range.

The MT-32 has a completely different sound set, as it's an LA v2 synth and not a ROMpler (yes, I know it has PCM samples in it, but they're so short IMO they don't really count - they're really just short attack samples, with the bulk of the sound coming from the synth engine). 

The TTS1 is GS/GM compatible, as are all the Sound Canvas range.  The MT-32 is not GM/GS compatible (although with some clever sysex you can get close to the GM mapping).

Although the M-GS64 has an MT-32 mode, all this really does is remap the program change values of its existing sounds to match as closely as a can, the sounds in the MT-32.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, msmcleod said:

The TTS-1 uses the Roland SoundCanvas sound set, which is the same as the M-GS64, and all of the sound canvas range.

The MT-32 has a completely different sound set, as it's an LA v2 synth and not a ROMpler (yes, I know it has PCM samples in it, but they're so short IMO they don't really count - they're really just short attack samples, with the bulk of the sound coming from the synth engine). 

The TTS1 is GS/GM compatible, as are all the Sound Canvas range.  The MT-32 is not GM/GS compatible (although with some clever sysex you can get close to the GM mapping).

Although the M-GS64 has an MT-32 mode, all this really does is remap the program change values of its existing sounds to match as closely as a can, the sounds in the MT-32.

What does the M-GS64 sound like? Is it amazing?

1 hour ago, Annabelle said:

Specifically I'm looking for that Leslie drawbar organ sound, kinda jazz and rock at the same time. One you can customize to switch on or off different drawbars, and control the speed of the Leslie.

My all time highest recommended and that I have used on 100's of songs is the Air DB 33. https://www.pluginboutique.com/meta_product/1-Instruments/64-Virtual-Instrument/2507-DB-33-Crossgrade

It works just like the real deal including the Cabinet and mike placement. And you can customize the speed responce of the rotarys. Miles above the rest I tried. And I got it almost for free as part of a package deal Air used to offer. I think I paid $80 for their whole collection of VST instruments and effects. But I see it's $70 from Plug in Boutique at this time. 

My second favourite I just got free with a seven dollar purchase from Plug in Boutique is included with the Arturia Analog Lab. https://www.pluginboutique.com/products/7149   I would actually have gladly paid the full price for this one I can't beleieve I got it free. Every instrument in it is amazing.  And so easy to use.  

For free there's the humble little Colla B https://plugins4free.com/plugin/3117/    It's very good sounding and has full control of the draw bars. My only gripe is the rotary is very limited and a bit sluggish. SImple installation too. 

There's also this one AZR-3 but the sampling seems kinda bady done.  it's free. https://plugins4free.com/plugin/277/

I wouldn't waste time with any of those old Roland sounds. And Roland actually wants a lot of money for them on some sort of cloud thing. Naw, lots of good stuff is free with no strings attached. Try the Colla B first. It might be all you need. 

Edited by John Vere

My all time highest recommended and that I have used on 100's of songs is the Air DB 33. https://www.pluginboutique.com/meta_product/1-Instruments/64-Virtual-Instrument/2507-DB-33-Crossgrade

It works just like the real deal including the Cabinet and mike placement. And you can customize the speed responce of the rotarys. Miles above the rest I tried. And I got it almost for free as part of a package deal Air used to offer. I think I paid $80 for their whole collection of VST instruments and effects. But I see it's $70 from Plug in Boutique at this time. 

My second favourite I just got free with a seven dollar purchase from Plug in Boutique is included with the Arturia Analog Lab. https://www.pluginboutique.com/products/7149   I would actually have gladly paid the full price for this one I can't beleieve I got it free. Every instrument in it is amazing.  And so easy to use.  

For free there's the humble little Colla B https://plugins4free.com/plugin/3117/    It's very good sounding and has full control of the draw bars. My only gripe is the rotary is very limited and a bit sluggish. 

I wouldn't waste time with any of those old Roland sounds. And Roland actually wants a lot of money for them on some sort of cloud thing. Naw, lots of good stuff is free with no strings attached. Try the Colla B first. It might be all you need. 

I wonder if there are any .nki files of B3 organs, as Kontakt seems to work for me in Sonar.

4 hours ago, Annabelle said:

What does the M-GS64 sound like? Is it amazing?

It's basically a 64 note polyphonic Sound Canvas.  It's a 1U rack, with limited display ( IIRC it was just a 2 or 3 digit LED  display ). AFAIK, it's the equivalent of a Roland SC88 in a 1U rack.  The SC88 has a much better display.

As far as sound... it sounds exactly like the TTS-1 !

IMO something like the Yamaha MU100R blows it away ( and that's an old bit of gear too ).

• Like 1