Buncha mod wheel questions

jkoseattle

Question

Long time CW user, pretty new to mod wheels though.

I am finding the mod wheel instantly useful. However, I'm finding editing with them to be painful. What are some standard practices for editing mod wheel activity in PRV? 

1. My most common use case is this: I audition a track in order to set a wheel value to what will likely be constant throughout a passage. I move the wheel as the passage plays and determine about where I want it. But doing so during playback gives me no indication of what that ideal setting is. There's no visual feedback on where I'm moving it. So I have to record in order to see it. (And even then I can't see it until the recording is finished.) So I record, get the wheel where it needs to be, then delete all the wheel events I just recorded, make note of where I ultimately landed the wheel and draw in a wheel event just before the start of the passage at about that level. This feels kludgy, and seems like this isn't the way I'm supposed to do this.

2.  I notice that snap settings are respected when drawing wheel events, but not when recording them. This is true even with Input Quantize turned on. Is there a way to invoke Input Quantize on wheel movement? I usually don't need the millions of events generated by the wheel during recording, and it would be so much easier to have fewer events to manage. I can record basic wheel settings, then draw over them after the fact which then respects the snap setting, but again, this seems like I'm missing a best practice here.

3. I have both an expression pedal and a regular mod wheel. I still haven't gotten the hang of the different CC channels. Add to that the complication of different patches reacting differently to different wheels. What 'd like to do is permanently set the mod wheel to one channel and the pedal to another channel, then over time I will get the hang of it. How do I permanently set wheel channels across all projects, at least while i'm learning, or is this already the case?

4. In the velocity/wheel pane in PRV, I know there's a way to show more than one together, i.e. velocities AND wheel events, each in their own pane. I can't remember how I did this though.

1 answer to this question

#4 is the answer to your problem. Once you have a separate automation lane for the mod wheel, you'll be able to see it draw as you record, as well as re-record over  sections if needed. You can also add/edit nodes using the mouse.

Dan