That's the Life for Me

Keith Wilby

Yes it was that garbage can sound or possibly you used a doubling. I’m not a fan of doubling. 
Try a basic hall reverb and then I like using a tiny bit of delay set to host tempo and try 1/4 or 1/2 note with low feedback. Use headphones to mix it in until it’s just there to taste. 

• Thanks 1

Cool song Keith.  I Like the steel drums . I think the reverb on the 2nd mix sounds good for the backing vocals. I think the delay was overdone on the main vocals.  They seem to have gotten pushed back too far in the mix. I think it would sound better with a cleaner reverb and pushing them more to the front of the mix.  Have a Great trip ! Now would be a good time for a sun burn.    Tip one up for the rest of us.     mark

• Thanks 1

Thats better to me I can now understand the lyrics better. Sounds like you added delay with tempo sync?  And I agree with Mark about back off the delay just a bit. The idea is, you turn it up untill its obvious( like you now have it) and then back it off just so... 

Edited by John Vere
  • Thanks 1

17 hours ago, David Sprouse said:

Enjoyed your song.  What library or synth did you use for steel drums?

Thanks David. The steel drums are recorded from my aging Yamaha PSR-SQ16 keyboard/sequencer. There are a lot of sounds on that machine that are so much better than the ones I have available to me in CbB. Harpsichord is another good example. I'm trying to use of much of it as I can before it stops working completely (the LED displays are very dim and I think the power supply might be in the throes of dying).

12 minutes ago, Keith Wilby said:

Rebuked? Not by me I hope! Not sure what you mean by "a little break down"? Always eager to learn 😁

No not you Keith in another thread from another regular contributor.

A Little break down.

Basically you bring all the instruments back to basic's, simple  rhythm from the drums and bass, nothing to flowery from the keys and guitars.  You must have been to a live gig where the singer has said break down. 

1 hour ago, Wookiee said:

Basically you bring all the instruments back to basic's, simple  rhythm from the drums and bass, nothing to flowery from the keys and guitars.  

Ah, I'm with you. I thought I kinda did that after the solo. I'll revisit 🙂

I was first introduced to the Islands when some lads and I went to Bimini and did some diving.  There is definitely a pace of life there that is definitely appealing.  As one who loves looking at things under the water, they certainly provide lots of opportunities for that!  Luv the song!  The performance, mix, and yes the vocals all sounded great to me.  Well done!!

• Thanks 1

Good tune Keith.
I'd mix the vocal a bit differently. Too much verb on mix 1, and too much delay on #2; seems to be the consensus.

On the DT990's here the bass is dominating the track.
So vocal up a bit, bass down a bit. But that's just my take; just a "taste" thing really...

t

• Thanks 1