ENDS 30TH JUNE - Save 50% on Komplete 12 Upgrades Plus Get Zero-G Herz OG FREE!

cclarry

Thanks, I probably would have got the K12CE upgrade instead if I had known about it before I got the K12U. I only found out about it afterwards. I usually buy through StoreDJ on Ebay here in Australia and I needed the hard drive. The K12CE option wasn't on Ebay but it was on StoreDJ's own shop site (but with no Ebay discount) as I found out later. It was still about $449.00 (Aus) whereas mine was $249.00.

I think you get the full symphony series and more expansions, I get the symphony essentials and less expansions. Probably would have gone for it if I had known but still happy with what I ended up with. Orchestral composing is a new field I am dabbling with as well as other stuff so it will probably suffice for the moment.

Edited by Tezza
  • Like 1

Not knowing anything about Komplete, I had to go digging for info and it seems that the HDD is USB 2.0 and cannot be used as a sample drive. It doesn't cost anything, and would definitely counter slow internet connections, but seems at the expense of activation time (you have to wait for the HDD to arrive before anything can activate).

https://support.native-instruments.com/hc/en-us/articles/210271705-Can-I-use-the-KOMPLETE-ULTIMATE-Hard-Drive-as-my-Sample-Library-Drive-

It is sad that it is easier to find things on NI's site searching Google than trying to navigate the site itself.

I got the drive cheaper than I could find a download option for the Komplete 12 upgrade, so Its a good backup to have and will certainly speedup any future reinstallation.

Time and Space have been in contact to say there has been a delay in receiving stock from NI and they are expecting delivery tomorrow.  I have waited months for the sale, a few more days wont matter.

3 hours ago, mettelus said:

Not knowing anything about Komplete, I had to go digging for info and it seems that the HDD is USB 2.0 and cannot be used as a sample drive.

It's no option for me, I need the hard drive because internet download is not possible for me. That's why I went for the Native Instruments stuff. I don't care that you can't use the drive for anything else. It only took me 1hour to install the whole lot of Komplete 10 Ultimate off the drive, see how long it takes this time with K12U. I get the box within 3 days from Melbourne.

9 hours ago, Fleer said:

It wouldn’t suffice as a sample drive I guess but it’s still a pretty useful backup device. As such, it’s a slender 1TB drive filled with 633 GB of K12CE stuff. 

Is it possible to write to it, i.e. could I use the extra free space to back up some of my other sample libraries?

That I don't know. I did read in another forum that the drive is perfectly usable as a (new) backup drive, but whether this means repartitioning the drive (and losing its Komplete contents) is uncertain. If you go that way, first make a backup of those contents of course.

14 hours ago, Tezza said:

l happy with what I ended up with.(K12U)  Orchestral composing is a new field I am dabbling with as well as other stuff so it will probably suffice for the moment.

If a moment is 5 years. A guy could spend 20 years on learning Reaktor.

Ugh! install is horrid. Native access has to update itself on the internet  when you load it from the disk, that took 1 hour, the same time it took me to install K10U completely. There are no hard drive icons and no way to tell whether native access is installing content from the hard drive or from the internet. It didn't pickup my hard drive at first, then just flashes a box saying hard drive located but you have to keep it connected to the internet throughout the install or it will not install from the hard drive.

I have no way of knowing what it is installing from where. I have to create more space on my hard drive for the samples but this is starting to look like a doorstop for me, not useable. If it thinks it can download 100gig from the internet on my connection, that will never work. Very disappointed, the whole point of having the hard drive is so that you don't have to download from the internet. 

I'll give it another shot when I have created hard drive space but this is not going well at all. If i reformat, then native access will have to update itself again, another hour on the internet of who knows how much data. I checked with the installation instructions and apparently this is how it works. It says "now leave it to native access to install any content, updates and extra downloads". This is exactly what I do not want it to do, I want it to install from the hard disk only, so it's looking like a no go for me at the moment.

Edited by Tezza
  • Sad 1

13 minutes ago, Matthew Sorrels said:

It's always downloaded a ton even when installing from the hard drive.  At least with U8 and U10, I stopped wasting the effort getting the drive after that.

Nope, not for me, I can install K10U from the hard drive with no internet connection at all, after it has installed I need only connect to activate and register, then done and everything works. I only needed to download rounds and kontour separately but there was no problem with this since they can be downloaded from a separate on-line computer on my laptop at the library, then transferred. When I connect to the internet on my DAW, service center will tell me what updates are available and then I can list those and go and get the manual updates if I want or I can choose to let service center install the updates over the net (which I do not).

This is all without using the native access. I think native access is the culprit, if you use service center instead you have control over what is downloaded, it tells you everything but native access tells you nothing it just does it's thing behind the scenes. With K12U you have no choice but to use native access. With K10U service center installs by default and you are then pushed to use native access but you don't have to.

Edited by Tezza

Well K12CE is 900gig according to specs, if you only have 630g on the hard drive then ............

Not a biggie perhaps if you have great internet, one thing is for sure, native access will tell you nothing about what it is doing, it is an evil and devious application, just sits there smiling while it endlessly downloads mega gigs behind the scenes and all the time your DAW will need to be connected to the internet and if any download should fail......

This means you will need to have an anti virus on your DAW because it will be spending so much time on the internet.

When I think of service center I think what a helpful and pleasant application it was, keeping me well informed and offering me the choice of downloading anything at all or going to the library and downloading it manually on another computer and then transferring it to my computer, no sustained internet connection required.

When I think of native access, I feel insecurity and fear that I just know is going to boil over into frustration and anger and disappointment.

Edited by Tezza
  • Thanks 1

Well, it didn't disappoint, native access for me is officially the worst ever software I have ever installed on my computer. Hours and hours trying to get it to work, it needs to be on-line all the time even while installing from the disc, then for no reason it hangs on installing but in fact isn't really doing anything. I suspect this could be due to my poor internet connection but the point of getting the hard disk was to avoid internet downloads.

It leaves half installed rubbish all over the system, even trying to install one application at a time from the disk (you cannot select multiple applications anyway) wouldn't work. There is nothing about this software that I can recommend. It won't let you know if it is downloading from the net or installing from disk, I suspect it installs the application from disk and then applies updates from the net. If you have a bad connection, it repeatedly takes hours to install a small application then fails or doesn't even tell you it's failed, you have to guess that something has gone wrong. The install indicator just goes from side to side, no visual indication of progress of install.

If you have a lightning internet connection, perhaps you will not experience this, but it is of no use to me at all, I will see if I can return it tomorrow.

• Sad 1

Hmmm..

Got my 12 Komplete Update today...

No Kontakt 6. WTF?
I only bought K12 for Kontakt 6 and (when it's finally released) Massive X.

Apparently Kontakt 6 is now just called Kontakt.
Native Access shows version 6.1.1 installed.

Edited by TheSteven

1 hour ago, TheSteven said:

Hmmm..

Got my 12 Komplete Update today...

No Kontakt 6. WTF?
I only bought K12 for Kontakt 6 and (when it's finally released) Massive X.

Apparently Kontakt 6 is now just called Kontakt.
Native Access shows version 6.1.1 installed.

I got K12 U also from K11 select.  Going to buy Maschine Mikro mk3 on Saturday, I think.  I know for sure before  I'll get it before June 30th.  I love this NI stuff, it sounds so good.  I love using Battery 4 and I can't wait to use Machine 😁