Sidechain compression from multiple track sends

Mo Jonez

Using Neutron Pro in Cakewalk, I'm sending two tracks to sidechain compress a third track - i.e. a vocal track and a guitar track are both sending to a keyboard track to compress the keys track. When adjusting the threshold in the Neutron compressor for the keys track I can't seem to distinguish which of the two sends I am affecting when changing the threshold?  Is that possible to adjust each send individually or are both sends just blended when adjusting the threshold?

P.S. Big love ❤️to this forum, always great answers... or more questions that make me think things through,.

I am not looking at Neutron right now but unless there are two separate channels in Neutron to send to then you are just combining both the guitar and vocal track into the side chain to compress the keyboard part. You would have to instatiate two separate compressors and send the guitar to one and the voice to another to compress the keyboard differently based on the send track.

• Like 1

Apologies if I'm not understanding the issue correctly, but perhaps the simplest option is to change the balance of the two sends to affect the threshold. For example if you want the keyboards compressed more when the voice is singing but less when the guitar is playing by itself, send in a higher vocal level than guitar.

• Like 2

Interesting ideas Reginald and Craig - thanks ! 

There are 2 compressors in Neutron but both appear to be tied to the same threshold control to.  But I can probably insert two external compressors outside of neutron that will get me there. 

Adjusting the send balance of the two tracks should work also, , great suggestion.