Free Numa Player from StudioLogic

Brian Cadoret

4 hours ago, Starship Krupa said:

If only it were available as a VSTi.

It is for me although for whatever reason in CW it doesn't show up in the plug-in manager, so I can't add it to my custom menu, but it does show up in the manufacturer menu in the plug in browser so I can drag it in from there.

Okay, I see. If you scroll allllllll the way to the bottom of the product page they say that it comes in VST and AU, but it doesn't say how to get the plug-in version. The button makes the cursor change to the hand, but clicking does nothing.

However: when installing it on my laptop I watched the installer shell closely and saw that at the very end, it installs a VST3. It just doesn't allow you the options that installer shells usually do. I rarely install standalones.

Anyway, this is an amazing-sounding plug-in, quite worthy of being payware. A set of pianos and strings that sound this good and the download is only about 210MB.

And it did its job well, too: I bought a Studiologic SL880 20 years ago, best action ev-ar from a weighted controller, so I was interested to see what Fatar/Studiologic were up to. Turns out they've been busy. Keyboard controllers still, of course, but now they have many more really good-looking synths, pianos, and a compact drawbar-equipped clonewheel organ. Brian "Oblivion" Auger is the star endorser. If I were gigging on keys, I'd surely look closer. They obviously have some talent coding their sound generators.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Starship Krupa said:

Odd, it's showing up over here. Maybe rescan all?

Been there, done that. The CW plug-in scanner has always occasionally done this to me, so it's nothing new. Usually if I move the .dll to a different folder and add that to the scan path it will find it then. Not really worth going to the trouble in this case as I'll probably have forgotten that it even exists in a couple of weeks, so not a big deal.

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, paulo said:

Been there, done that. The CW plug-in scanner has always occasionally done this to me, so it's nothing new. Usually if I move the .dll to a different folder and add that to the scan path it will find it then. Not really worth going to the trouble in this case as I'll probably have forgotten that it even exists in a couple of weeks, so not a big deal.

In this case, it is not a dll but a vst3 file.

3 hours ago, Doug Rintoul said:

In this case, it is not a dll but a vst3 file.

Yeah, I found that earlier. Having now had a further tinker with it, it's actually more versatile than I had thought at first, so I'll consider it to be a keeper.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Starship Krupa said:

However: when installing it on my laptop I watched the installer shell closely and saw that at the very end, it installs a VST3. It just doesn't allow you the options that installer shells usually do. I rarely install standalones.

It's actually only a single installer - clicking on the VST, etc. button only changes the picture underneath 
VST3 file is named: Numa Player.vst3

• Like 1