ProChannel signal flow?

CW P

I'm wondering about cakewalk's signal flow. 

I always make some volume automation before starting mixing. but after doing some automation, when I use ProChannel PC76 U-Type compressor, It makes more aggresive compression then compressor in FX bin (like sonitus).

If what I know is correct, signal flow would be like : INPUT SIGNAL > GAIN > PRO CHANNEL(default) > FX BIN > SEND > VOLUME FADER. am i right? then why volume fader affect  s amount of compression?

If I wrong, please advise me. Thanks.

Edited by CW P

I guess it depends whether you're automating the Volume fader, or the clip envelope.

From what you describe, you've created a clip envelope which happens pre input gain:

Mixing.07.1.png

(source:  http://www.cakewalk.com/Documentation?product=Cakewalk&language=3&help=Mixing.07.html)

[Edit] - I've just tried this myself, getting the PC4K-U compressor to crush AD2, then added volume automation.

From what I heard, the signal is just as crushed as it was before - just quieter.

However... it's really easy to clip the signal if you're output is too high from the compressor, and the volume is at a normal level.

When this is the case, having a lower volume no longer clips, which will sound different. Perhaps this is what you're experiencing?

Edited by msmcleod
  • Thanks 1

I think it was my foolish mistake. In my experience, I made compressing first, then turn on the automation later. So, it was different in Input Value what I wanted.

anyway, that diagram is awesome! I didn't catch up that picture in Cakewalk Documentation Page. I just used CbB a year ago, So there is so many things yet noticed. Thanks for answer @msmcleod!

and are you old cakewalk user? In Bandlab version, There is no PC4K-U module. I'm really curious about that bus compressor.

5 minutes ago, CW P said:

There is no PC4K-U module

It is included in CbB.  See the bottom of the this page for the included PC modules.

One thing about the PC76 U-Type Channel Compressor  and PC4K SType Bus Compressor is they are some of the first modules released. As a result, they support an old PC design that has designed slots for each PC module type. IOW, when one of these compressors in the the ProChannel the other may not be added. In fact, it will not appear in the Add PC menu. It does show up in the Replace PC module though. Both should be listed in the Add PC module menu if neither is already in the ProChannel.