Jump to content
jwnicholson78

Sahli's First Dance - Waltz for orchestra

Recommended Posts

Posted (edited)

I first wrote this 13 or 14 years ago as a solo piano piece.  A few years ago I did an orchestral version with Kontakt, but since getting Spitfire BBC, I've been wanting to redo it, yet again.  Photos are by my wife.

Hope you enjoy. Feedback is greatly appreciated.

Jeff

 

Edited by jwnicholson78
  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

In case anyone is curious, here is the Kontakt version.  I had fun making at the time, but I find it... difficult... to listen to now.

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I enjoyed the piece Jeff, I'm listening on cans but the mix sounds very nice. Both versions  were good, different  things I liked in each but the BBC version sounded a bit more finished & authentic. Enjoyed your wife's pics as well..Great job!

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Wow, BBC is amazing! This is very well thought out. Waltzes remind me of German music, they're  no slouches.  Really well done! Time to brush up on signal skills with ww3 on the way.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The new version.

Great music with beautiful pics. Wonderful composition … enjoyable to listen to well done orchestration and good sounds.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

you can really hear the difference between the two versions, with the new version sounding far far more convincing, i would say.

Great stuff, very well put together

Nigel

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 hours ago, Hidden Symmetry said:

I enjoyed the piece Jeff, I'm listening on cans but the mix sounds very nice. Both versions  were good, different  things I liked in each but the BBC version sounded a bit more finished & authentic. Enjoyed your wife's pics as well..Great job!

Thanks!  The old version is too fast for me and comes across as frantic.  My father always told me I should slow it down.  Turns out he was right.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 hours ago, David Sprouse said:

Wow, BBC is amazing! This is very well thought out. Waltzes remind me of German music, they're  no slouches.  Really well done! Time to brush up on signal skills with ww3 on the way.

Yes, all the Spitfire stuff is awesome.  Thanks so much for the feedback.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, Makke said:

The new version.

Great music with beautiful pics. Wonderful composition … enjoyable to listen to well done orchestration and good sounds.

Thanks much for the listen and comment!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, Bajan Blue said:

you can really hear the difference between the two versions, with the new version sounding far far more convincing, i would say.

Great stuff, very well put together

Nigel

 

Thank so much.  I originally thought it would be a quick job to replace the sounds with BBC, but the more I dug into it, the more I realized how much needed fixing.  I re-orchestrated a number of sections, and spent a lot more time paying attention to individual note velocities, expression and length.  Glad to know that the effort paid off.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/17/2022 at 11:01 AM, DeeringAmps said:

No doubt about it, the BBC version is head and shoulders better...

t

Tom,

Thanks.  Really glad to hear that.  It's nice to know that the work was worth in the end!

Jeff

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Always a pleasure to hear you music Jeff, I have only listened to the BBC version I must say they instrumentation sounds very authentic to these furry ears.  I know they are samples but I always make time when the BBC proms are on to listen to real orchestra's, I am very fortunate to own some very cool Hi Fi speakers, as you know and I believe the guy how designed the Epos was a big classical fan.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Excellent! Made me want to Waltz.

However, it's best I do that in a room by myself, it's not a pretty sight.

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/19/2022 at 8:17 AM, Wookiee said:

Always a pleasure to hear you music Jeff, I have only listened to the BBC version I must say they instrumentation sounds very authentic to these furry ears.  I know they are samples but I always make time when the BBC proms are on to listen to real orchestra's, I am very fortunate to own some very cool Hi Fi speakers, as you know and I believe the guy how designed the Epos was a big classical fan.

Thanks Wookie.  Great to know I was able to pull off an authentic orchestral sound!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 hours ago, Bapu said:

Excellent! Made me want to Waltz.

However, it's best I do that in a room by myself, it's not a pretty sight.

 

🤣  Thanks!  I know what you mean.  I just wrote it.  I certainly didn't dance to it!

Jeff

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Please sign in to comment

You will be able to leave a comment after signing in



Sign In Now

×
×
  • Create New...