Sahli's First Dance - Waltz for orchestra

jwnicholson78

I first wrote this 13 or 14 years ago as a solo piano piece.  A few years ago I did an orchestral version with Kontakt, but since getting Spitfire BBC, I've been wanting to redo it, yet again.  Photos are by my wife.

Hope you enjoy. Feedback is greatly appreciated.

Jeff

Edited by jwnicholson78
  • Like 5

22 hours ago, Hidden Symmetry said:

I enjoyed the piece Jeff, I'm listening on cans but the mix sounds very nice. Both versions  were good, different  things I liked in each but the BBC version sounded a bit more finished & authentic. Enjoyed your wife's pics as well..Great job!

Thanks!  The old version is too fast for me and comes across as frantic.  My father always told me I should slow it down.  Turns out he was right.

22 hours ago, David Sprouse said:

Wow, BBC is amazing! This is very well thought out. Waltzes remind me of German music, they're  no slouches.  Really well done! Time to brush up on signal skills with ww3 on the way.

Yes, all the Spitfire stuff is awesome.  Thanks so much for the feedback.

12 hours ago, Bajan Blue said:

you can really hear the difference between the two versions, with the new version sounding far far more convincing, i would say.

Great stuff, very well put together

Nigel

Thank so much.  I originally thought it would be a quick job to replace the sounds with BBC, but the more I dug into it, the more I realized how much needed fixing.  I re-orchestrated a number of sections, and spent a lot more time paying attention to individual note velocities, expression and length.  Glad to know that the effort paid off.

Always a pleasure to hear you music Jeff, I have only listened to the BBC version I must say they instrumentation sounds very authentic to these furry ears.  I know they are samples but I always make time when the BBC proms are on to listen to real orchestra's, I am very fortunate to own some very cool Hi Fi speakers, as you know and I believe the guy how designed the Epos was a big classical fan.

• Like 1

On 3/19/2022 at 8:17 AM, Wookiee said:

Always a pleasure to hear you music Jeff, I have only listened to the BBC version I must say they instrumentation sounds very authentic to these furry ears.  I know they are samples but I always make time when the BBC proms are on to listen to real orchestra's, I am very fortunate to own some very cool Hi Fi speakers, as you know and I believe the guy how designed the Epos was a big classical fan.

Thanks Wookie.  Great to know I was able to pull off an authentic orchestral sound!