BUG ? Region FX Tracks Not Included Arranger Selection

Mark Morgon-Shaw

I have only tested this with Melodyne but basically if you turn a track into a RegionFX and subsequently try to select it as part of an arranger section it doesn't get included

This seems to affect not only active RegionFX tracks but ones that have been rendered as well like the below screenshot

image.thumb.png.c5440333ba04a9aa1ea4e6eba475ee9d.png

1 hour ago, msmcleod said:

This is intentional - while a region fx is active  the audio "owned" by the region fx plugin. 

OK granted but this instance had been rendered already  - so as a former Rfx track it should be included in the selection should it not ?

-----Edit

Also having thought about it is there a technical reason why the Rfx track is omitted from the selection ? 

Thinking logically if I make a selection by clicking the Arranger track it's because I want everything included within it ( otherwise I would use a different method ) 

When it doesn't select the Rfx clip , all I end up doing is adding it to the selection manually ( Ctrl left click ) so I can get there eventually but it seems a bit daft that it doesn't just select the whole lot from the get go.

i.e. I can't think of any instances when I've thought " select everything except my Melodyned track " was needed

Whereas " select everything in this region " is an everyday occurrence and once the omitted clips are manually added it all seems to work perfectly well.     

Edited by Mark MoreThan-Shaw

That is strange... I just tried the following:

1. Create two audio tracks with a clip on them
2. Added an arranger section covering the extent of both clips
3. Created a Melodyne Region FX on the 1st clip.
4. Attempted to move the section.... only the 2nd clip gets moved ( expected )
5. Undo the move
6. Render the Region FX on the 1st clip
7. Move the section - both clips get moved as expected

So for some reason, in your case, either Cakewalk thinks the region is still active, or there's something else in play.

Can you zip up your project folder and PM it to me?  I'll need to see it in action with the debugger attached.

[Edit] - you could also try bounce to clip(s) on that clip to see if this helps

On 3/10/2022 at 9:13 AM, msmcleod said:

All this does is create a temporary copy of the rendered region FX, but the region fx itself is still actually active.   

So understand now that Cakewalk considers an RFX track as still active even if it's frozen. And I understand that the selection method I have used omits the RFX track.

What I don't understand is why.

All it means is I end up taking extra steps each time to manually add it to the selection.  So why can't Cakewalk just include it in the first place as logic would dictate.

28 minutes ago, Mark MoreThan-Shaw said:

So understand now that Cakewalk considers an RFX track as still active even if it's frozen. And I understand that the selection method I have used omits the RFX track.

What I don't understand is why.

All it means is I end up taking extra steps each time to manually add it to the selection.  So why can't Cakewalk just include it in the first place as logic would dictate.

When a region FX is active, the region FX has total ownership over the clip.  If Cakewalk messed with it in any way, it's likely to crash the plugin.

When a clip is frozen, the region fx is temporary disabled, but it still owns the original clip.  What you're seeing/playing in the track is a temporary frozen clip.

When you move a section in this scenario, one of two things could happen:

1. The frozen clip is moved, but the original clip stays where it is:   That isn't what you want, because as soon as you unfreeze, the clip is in the wrong place.
2. Both the frozen clip and the original clip are moved:  The region fx isn't aware that the original clip is moved as it's meant to have total ownership of it... it'll probably crash.

As neither of these are feasible options, clips with active region fx are excluded from arranger operations.

2 hours ago, msmcleod said:

When a region FX is active, the region FX has total ownership over the clip.  If Cakewalk messed with it in any way, it's likely to crash the plugin.

But if I manually add it to my Arranger Selection and perform various operations i.e. copy / move the arranger section etc.  ...it doesn't crash and behaves as expected

( I can only say I have tried this with Melodyne as I rarely use the other RFX )

So all it's really doing is forcing me into additional steps of manually adding them.

If you are saying we shouldn't perform any Arranger operations on un-rendered RFX Clips then fair enough but it seems a bit of a workaround. 

Edited by Mark MoreThan-Shaw