Bad Win 10 V1903 Latency

Jack Stoner

I thought I was home free with the new Win 10 1903 version - Wrong!   

I came across a thread on the gearslutz forum of a user complaining about Latency problems with 1903.  I didn't run the Resplendence Latency Mon program after upgrading to 1903 as I assumed all was well.  As it turns out all is not well and I get hits/dropouts with 1903 that I never got with all the older versions.  I have a dual boot system with the "Windows Insider" advanced versions.  Running Latency Mon on the Insider version is clean with the same hardware.  I restored to the older 1809 version and it too is clean,  just 1903.   I'll leave it on 1809 until a newer 1903 build is released before I try it again.

If your one of the early upgraders and haven't checked Latency, best to do so now.

I've been having big problems with dropouts lately (using my 1st gen 2i4) and didn't look into the Win 10 update as being a culprit (will check which version I'm running). I just purchased a new audio interface (IK's Axe) because of this dropout issue.

Thanks Jack for the heads up.

FWIW my 1st gen 2i2 is working fine under Win 10 1903 on my laptop, using a buffer size of 64. This uses the same drivers as the 2i4.

I didn't have it plugged in during the upgrade though.

I even tried it at a buffer size of 32, and it was fine too using a small 4 track project of 1 audio track through TH3, a JBridged SampleLord, AD2 and SI Bass. ProChannel EQ was being used on two of the tracks.

Crackles and pops were introduced when I set it to 16 though.

Maybe try uninstalling / reinstalling the drivers?

Edited by msmcleod
  • Like 1

Thanks Mark. I did try uninstalling / reinstalling the drivers as well as trying out these beta drivers: http://beta.focusrite.com/ and still no luck. I also couldn't get the Odeus plugin to work (I could only download a Trial version and that also didn't work).....I appreciated the links you sent.

Once I get home I'll check the Win10 update, but hopefully the new box will sort out a lot of this.

Cheers,

Mesh

I also had an  issue with my MOTU 4Pre USB interface unit on 1903 version.  It was showing as working OK in the Device Manager and the MOTU  CueMix program detected it OK but both Sonar Platinum and Bandlab Cakewalk and Presonus Studio One 4.5 did not detect the MOTU.  I had to do an uninstall of the 4pre and drivers, reboot and then do a new install before the DAW programs would again detect the 4pre.  

As reported on another thread my Latency problems have been resolved by reinstalling 1903.  I reverted to a Macrium Reflect disc image I made before upgrading and then downloaded/installed 1903 again.    All seems well with the second install.  I've ran Resplendence Latency Mon for over 10 minutes and no hits.  

• Like 1

There have been reports flying about that ntoskrnl is causing the latency in 1903, but I have not seen anyone call out if that was due to a reset of settings or a difference in the kernel itself. I am still on 1803, and a quick search of issues with it seem to stem back to 1809, but not sure what the real situation is.