Export dialogue needs more work

John Vere

I mostly like the new export dialogue. 
But here’s my issues for what it’s worth. 
Most of them would be solved if it simply retained the settings with the project. 
I am constantly having to reset every single box over and over. 
It always defaults back to settings I don’t want. 
The worst one is I export stems as mono /48/32. It will reset to stereo 44.1/24 immediately. 

The other one is selecting time base export. It will need to be re entered every time. I often will export dozens of times during proof mixes. 

Next is the name. I don’t want my export named as the project. It used to use the name you added to the Notes in the browser. Yes you can easily change it but once again it is not retained. 
Next is the MP3 Meta data always needs to be reset. 

It would be nice if each project saved the last state of the export dialogue. 

Edited by John Vere
  • Great Idea 1

On 3/9/2022 at 2:23 AM, John Vere said:

It would be nice if each project saved the last state of the export dialogue. 

This need more clarification. Reason: I would'nt want a new project to open with a previous saved export dialogue settings. 

So you probably want it to open within the project it has been saved in. 

Next is the name. I don’t want my export named as the project. 

I think this is why the new prefix tags were created. You have to choose the right one (too many for me to type here now.) So, if you export stems, then you have to choose track name or clip name - which ever fit best for the export. I think notes are in there too. So just click on the tag next to the name for the list to pop up. 

Though: it makes sense for this to be chosen automatically when choosing the source. 

.The worst one is I export stems as mono /48/32. It will reset to stereo 44.1/24 immediately. 

I think this follows your project sample rate. So if you create and mix in 44.1/24 and export to 48/32 it will revert back to the project sample rate. 

Too lazy to get up to check this now right now. 

Edited by Will_Kaydo

21 minutes ago, Will_Kaydo said:

This need more clarification. Reason: I would'nt want a new project to open with a previous saved export dialogue settings. 

So you probably want it to open within the project it has been saved in. 

I thought it was clear as I said "Each Project" not global, yet that would be my second choice because I more or less always use the same setting. 

I think this is why the new prefix tags were created. You have to choose it the right one (too many for me to type here now.) So, if you export stems, then you have to choose track name or clip name - which ever fit best for the export. I think notes are in there too. So just click on the tag next to the name for the list to pop up. 

I'm talking about the Project name,  Not stems.  I do re name stems sometimes. 

My projects always have the date, Example " Name of Song 2-4-22" .  I then have to re name all my exported songs properly. It use to use the name you entered in the Notes section in the browser, but they broke this with the new dialogue. A few people have complained.  

I think this follows your project sample rate. So if you create and mix in 44.1/24 and export to 48/32 it will revert back to the project sample rate. 

This is the problem, I don't work at 44.1 anymore every setting on my computer is 48.  but it's always defaulting to 44.1. 

All I'm asking is that the settings are saved "Per Project"  

I spend more time re setting the export dialogue than I do editing a track!  

Edited by John Vere

19 hours ago, John Vere said:

I spend more time re setting the export dialogue than I do editing a track!  

Just make a preset  - you can include your naming convention by using the tags, and any default sample rate settings etc.

I have to send stuff to a bunch of different Publishers and they all want something slightly different so I made a preset for each one , it's just one click.

( but yeah it should really keep those settings per project )

• Like 1

I endorse this. I do multiple exports of each project as it progresses, rough mixes, car stereo reference test mixes, etc.

I also use a dedicated Export bus because my interface uses different outputs for mains and headphones, so the "entire mix" option has never worked for me. It would be nice if the Export dialog would also remember which buses I've previously selected. This selection is something that can't be put into a preset, either.