Sonar 8.5 Producer: Is There a 64-Bit Version of PerfectSpace?

Annabelle

Hey there all you fellow music members!

I'm not sure if this is the right category for me to post this topic in, but here goes. On my Focusrite Scarlet 18I20, I have Sonar's audio options set to Focusrite USB ASIO. However, Perfect Space has some stuttering, and it says the latency is at 4096 in the plugin. When I bypass it, the stuttering stops, but then when I switch it on again, the stuttering comes back. How do I fix this? Is there a way to switch any plugins I have to operate via ASIO mode? If so, how would I do this? Or do all plugins immediately switch to ASIO when Sonar's in ASIO mode? By the way, is there a 64-bit version of Perfect Space? Or is it just 32-bit? I'm confused on this one! 😕. The stuttering seems to happen with plugins that are 32-bit, running in Sonar 64 Bit. I've never installed Sonar 32 bit on my Windows 7 machine, only on a laptop that runs Windows XP. As far as I know, PerfectSpace is located in "C:\Program Files\Cakewalk\VSTPlugins\Perfectspace\PerfectSpace.dll". Is that supposed to be a 64-bit or a 32-bit plugin? Since it seems to run with BitBridge every time I run it. 

I'm looking at this link where someone suggests disabling C-States in order to optomize a computer for real time audio. How would I do this without making my machine unbootable? Would I have to have sighted help to do this since it's in the Bios?

DAW, Plugins, Audio Software, Mixing, Mastering, Home Recording | Kuassa

Also, Is there a way for me to post the report I made with LatencyMon? If so, how would I do it?

Edited by Annabelle

I found this old thread that explains a bit about Perfect Space. 

http://forum.cakewalk.com/Bringing-back-perfect-space-m3502079.aspx

It was never upgraded to 64 bit. I have excluded all 32 bit plug ins a long time ago with the exeption of Mr Tramp. Generally they caused me grief. 

Your best bet is to just find a free plug in that does something similar. There are certainly a lot of great free reverbs around. I just paid only $7 for izotopes Phoenix verb I like it a lot. 

32 bit plug ins show as yellow and have 32 in brackets I unexcluded it just to take the screen shot here to double check. 

Screenshot (341).png

• Great Idea 1

2 hours ago, John Vere said:

I found this old thread that explains a bit about Perfect Space. 

http://forum.cakewalk.com/Bringing-back-perfect-space-m3502079.aspx

It was never upgraded to 64 bit. I have excluded all 32 bit plug ins a long time ago with the exeption of Mr Tramp. Generally they caused me grief. 

Your best bet is to just find a free plug in that does something similar. There are certainly a lot of great free reverbs around. I just paid only $7 for izotopes Phoenix verb I like it a lot. 

32 bit plug ins show as yellow and have 32 in brackets I unexcluded it just to take the screen shot here to double check. 

Screenshot (341).png

1. I wouldn't be able to see that, as I use a screenreader, and it doesn't have a way to detect colors, just text.

2. My machine runs fine, I just don't understand how 32-bit plugins take longer to execute in a 64-bit installation of Sonar 8.5.

3. Is there a reverb similar to PerfectSpace, that will let you work with your own .wav IR's? If so, which one?

Interestingly enough, I never had this stuttering problem with my old interface, the MOTU 896HD, which is Firewire400 powered, as opposed to the Scarlet18I20 Third Generation, which is USB 3.0-powered. Is there a way for me to post a report from LatencyMon, showing the DPC count of my computer? If so, what do I do?

41 minutes ago, bdickens said:

SONAR 8.5 is 13 years old. Support for W7 has ended. 32 bit plugins are all but completely obsolete. Past time to move on.

Trouble is, I don't have $1,000 to upgrade my machine. I'm fine with what I have, I just need to tune it up so DPC latency is eliminated. Updating Windows, however, is what breaks compatibility with JAWS and other programs.

When I was writing an article about convolution and wanted to be able to reference a free  plug-in, I chose Convology. It worked fine. Here's a link to that as well as other free convolution reverbs. One of them is bound to work for you :)

The impulse responses for PerfectSpace should be able to load into whatever you choose, but if not, circle back and we'll see what we can do. 

Just tried Perfect Space for the 1st time ever. Works but definitely the most convoluted plugin I've ever tried to use. :S

Rematrix in PC not so much. :D

FWIW mine also says 4096.

Edited by sjoens

Rematrix Player Free, Convology, and Melda Productions has a free convolution reverb that will leave Perfect Space in the dust.

Fwiw, if you are inexperienced with convolutions, the Melda freebie is so easy to understand and setup. I used it for years and still dust it off once in a while. It is very cpu friendly. When you are ready, Melda has a very nice pay version to step up your game. I have a huge library of IRs collected over the years that are still available on the net. 

I, too, recommend Phoenix for cost effective Lexicon vibe reverb. I got a great sale price on Nimbus and R4 recently.  Watch for sales on them.

Just so you folks are aware The OP is visually impaired so relies on software that only runs on W7. Therefore staying with 8.5. A good choice. So keep that in mind when even posting links. 
Another great free reverb is made by Acon digital called Verberate Basic. https://plugins4free.com/plugin/3409/

Can you post a screenshot of Latency Monitor results?  
I find shutting off the internet solved most issues. I just unplug the cable because for me it’s easy to reach 

47 minutes ago, John Vere said:

Just so you folks are aware The OP is visually impaired so relies on software that only runs on W7. Therefore staying with 8.5. A good choice. So keep that in mind when even posting links. 
Another great free reverb is made by Acon digital called Verberate Basic. https://plugins4free.com/plugin/3409/

Can you post a screenshot of Latency Monitor results?  
I find shutting off the internet solved most issues. I just unplug the cable because for me it’s easy to reach 

I'd rather you say I'm sight challenged, since "impaired" makes people think there's something wrong with me. As for the LatencyMon screenshots, is there a way for me to post them as attachments? If so, what do I do?

Edited by Annabelle

Sorry I actually was struggling with the correct term. I'm brain Impaired.  

Yes to make screenshots use the Windows Key and Print Screen key together. That takes a screenshot and places it in your Pictures folder in a sub folder called Screenshots. 

It will be named Screenshot and then a number in a bracket that is sequential. If this is your first screenshot it will be one. 

On the forum here there is a place at the very bottom that says drag files here to attach 

2 minutes ago, John Vere said:

Sorry I actually was struggling with the correct term. I'm brain Impaired.  

Yes to make screenshots use the Windows Key and Print Screen key together. That takes a screenshot and places it in your Pictures folder in a sub folder called Screenshots. 

It will be named Screenshot and then a number in a bracket that is sequential. If this is your first screenshot it will be one. 

On the forum here there is a place at the very bottom that says drag files here to attach 

As for the Internet, my ethernet cable is unplugged, yes. But there is still DPC latency. I wonder if it has something to do with the way some of the components are sharing IRQ and DPC channels. My sighted friend, Markus Johnson (Yes, that's "Markus" with a "K", not a "C"), could probably reconfigure that the next time he comes to open up my machine and clean the inside. As for the attachments, I wonder if there's a button that I could press enter on, to load the files to this forum.

2 hours ago, Annabelle said:

As for the attachments, I wonder if there's a button that I could press enter on, to load the files to this forum.

The upload box at the bottom Left of every post says  Drag Files here to Attach, or Choose Files.  The Choose files is Highlighted and underlined which is a link you could try pressing. In my case this actually opens my Picture folder.   So possibly that works better for you. 

Latency monitor I find doesn't always point you at the cause of the issue. It just lets you know there is one. It always tells you to do a bunch of stuff like CPU throttling which is not true in my case. To optimize I always shut down as many background apps that I can find. Drop Box, One Drive and Google drive are always trying to phone home even with the internet off. Newer faster computers certainly have made this stuff less of a bother and both my machines show a very low DPC readings even with the internet on. And they are very outdated now being more than 8 years old. 

Edited by John Vere

23 hours ago, John Vere said:

The upload box at the bottom Left of every post says  Drag Files here to Attach, or Choose Files.  The Choose files is Highlighted and underlined which is a link you could try pressing. In my case this actually opens my Picture folder.   So possibly that works better for you. 

Latency monitor I find doesn't always point you at the cause of the issue. It just lets you know there is one. It always tells you to do a bunch of stuff like CPU throttling which is not true in my case. To optimize I always shut down as many background apps that I can find. Drop Box, One Drive and Google drive are always trying to phone home even with the internet off. Newer faster computers certainly have made this stuff less of a bother and both my machines show a very low DPC readings even with the internet on. And they are very outdated now being more than 8 years old. 

Here's a full version of a report from LatencyMon, along with some screenshots. I did this one recently.

Latency Mon Drivers Screenshot 2.png

Latency Mon Processes Screenshot 2.png

Latency Mon Report.txt

There's a notepad document but I don't see any screenshots. A quick read of the document shows page faults are 3,282 us which seems excessively high. Example, mine is running at around 80us right now and Cakewalk is open with a simple project loaded. I seems to remember anything over 300us is bad news but don't quote me.  The report also points at Sonar as being the highest page fault count. 

I'm most certainly a novice at reading the reports, it's mostly gibberish to me. It always says the same things are to blame as far as I can tell. But the Sonar Page Faults I've never seen before. Do your projects have a lot of content? Your computer specs seems pretty average and shouldn't have issues with basic projects.