Best RAM savers

jkoseattle

Question

I am trying to run a project with a lot of EW Play instruments. I don't need some of them, but I don't know what to unload or disable or otherwise remove that's going t get me mileage on reducing RAM usage. If it's cheap, I'd love to keep instruments I'm not currently using available. Of course, I'd like to have EVERYTHNG available, but I understand I'm taxing memory of the CPU. So what are the most band-for-your-buck things I can do to quickly bring my project down RAM-wise, and what are things that sound like they'd be big helps but maybe don't actually affect RAM usage that much?

7 answers to this question

I prefer to Bounce to track (workflow reasons), then disconnect the synth via the synth rack.  This saves RAM and CPU as well.  You can always reconnect the synth via synth rack to rebounce a different part, section or mic position .  The  synth rack retains all patches while disconnected, so everything is still available, simply reconnect. 

I'm not a particularly heavy synth user, but when I've got a piano or horn part or something I "don't need" but might want to use later I archive it and use Track Manager to hide it so I don't have to look at it. Once archived it uses zero RAM. I think freezing, bouncing or disconnecting still takes up some system resources.

Whether freeze or disconnect take a synth completely out of memory depends on the "Unload Synths on Disconnect" setting. Enabled by default, this setting results in freezing or disconnecting a synth acting just like archive. When disabled, freeze and disconnect act more like mute (IOW, the synth is still in memory but uses less CPU). The setting is in the synth rack menu.

• Thanks 2

2 hours ago, scook said:

Whether freeze or disconnect take a synth completely out of memory depends on the "Unload Synths on Disconnect" setting. Enabled by default, this setting results in freezing or disconnecting a synth acting just like archive. When disabled, freeze and disconnect act more like mute (IOW, the synth is still in memory but uses less CPU). The setting is in the synth rack menu.

Thanks, @scook. I was not aware of that setting. I may never need it as I don't use a lot of soft synths, but good to know.

• Like 1

Unload or disable unwanted instruments manually to optimize RAM in a project with multiple EW Play instruments. Use EW Play's "purge" and "unload" tools to reduce polyphony, alter sample quality settings, and look for RAM optimization possibilities. Make use of instrument stacks, freeze tracks, and think about updating software. Concentrate on the most important aspects of your project, as detailed effects or automation have little RAM influence. Experiment with these settings and consult the instrument and DAW manuals for precise instructions. Consider reading a gaming magazine in India for articles or features on improving virtual instrument usage in music production projects that cater to the unique demands and preferences of the Indian gaming and music production community.

Edited by tanusri sen