I'm done with Cakewalk.

On 3/11/2022 at 9:53 AM, usalabs said:

Bandlab took it over, and called it CbB Sonar Platinum

Did they? I was unaware of that.

On 3/11/2022 at 9:53 AM, usalabs said:

(completely different to Sonar X3 PE)

Completely different? I never used SONAR X3, but my understanding is that Cakewalk by BandLab was originally based on the SONAR X series code. Of course, I was never aware of anything called "CbB Sonar Platinum," is that something that BandLab did before the Cakewalk by BandLab that was based on the SONAR code and has been under active development for 4 years came out?

On 3/11/2022 at 10:53 AM, usalabs said:

...then came CbB, I gave it the benefit of the doubt , and tried it, and as sson as I installed it and opened it I started having problem after problem after problem, so, thinking it could be because Bandlab just took it over and was having teething problems, CbB was updated 8 times since I installed it, and I still have problem after problem after problem, so I dumped it and now use X3 PE, and will always use X3 PE.

At a minimum, you should compare and/or swap AUD.INI files between the two installations. Assuming you're on Windows 10, whatever issue you're experiencing is highly likely to be a config problem.  CbB started with the codebase of  SONAR Platinum that was as stable or more stable than anything before it and has continued to be developed by many of the same people, including former Cakewalk CTO, Noel Borthwick, Given that, there would be no reason for "teething problems". Clearly your experience and the OP's are exceptions to the rule that that vast majority of users who didn't bail while CW/SONAR was temporarily orphaned have happily moved on to CbB and would never consider going back to any release of SONAR and losing the hundreds of new features and assorted improvements that have been implemented since. I took advantage of the Studio One crossgrade deal that was offered when Gibson abandoned Cakewalk, just in case the abandonment turned out to be permanent, but have never found a good reason to continuing using it.

Bottom line: You should make every effort to figure out why CbB isn't working as well as X3 on your system. You have nothing to lose but a little time and everything to gain.

The only reason I can think of  that CbB would not “seem “ to run as well as X3 is user error. I have X3 still installed just to have the stuff that was included. I just opened it after reading this and very quickly saw that I could never go back. 

• Like 2

On 3/13/2022 at 7:51 AM, Starship Krupa said:

Did they? I was unaware of that.

Completely different? I never used SONAR X3, but my understanding is that Cakewalk by BandLab was originally based on the SONAR X series code. Of course, I was never aware of anything called "CbB Sonar Platinum," is that something that BandLab did before the Cakewalk by BandLab that was based on the SONAR code and has been under active development for 4 years came out?

Incorrect information. CbB started development from the last version of SONAR Platinum. The first CbB release was in fact identical other than a few bug fixes. There were exactly zero teething problems other than transitioning the activation system and some installer changes to removed bundled 3rd party licensed plugins. There is no comparison to any prior version of SONAR anymore. Cbb is a vastly improved and more stable program with thousands of bug fixes and hundreds of new features since then. 

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Noel Borthwick said:

Incorrect information

I know that, of course. I was throwing a bit of Socratic Irony at Mister Troll. So much more fun (and effective, if you want them to shut up and go away) than attempting to refute them directly.

When I suggested that CbB was based on SONAR X code, well, isn't it, at least to the extent that SONAR Platinum was? 😉

• Like 1

I have posted here when I was upset with CW or just my DAW setup in general. I also have been here since the beginning, well not really, but I still have my CW audio discs. 

But I always came looking for and wanting help. I always got the help.  

• Like 3

22 hours ago, Noel Borthwick said:

There is no comparison to any prior version of SONAR anymore.

while i appreciate  the work and improvement that's happened since x/platinum, well, you know... still, CbB is the best yet 👍

• 2 months later...

I hear people say that CbB is superior to Sonar X3, I don't think so, there are so many things that can be done in X3 that cannot be done in CbB,  for one, can CbB drag and drop audio files into the track window without manually creating a track?  NO!, But Sonar X3 can.  In CbB to import an audio file (wav), I would (after creating a new project and setting tempo):-

1..........Create a new audio track.
2..........Highlight the track number in the left track pane
3..........Click on 'File->Import Audio' navigate to audio file, and it'll import it to that track.

Now for the steps in Sonar X3, after creating a new project and setting tempo:-

1..........drag and drop an audio file into the track pane and the track is auto created and the file imported.

Too many steps for CbB, and simple for Sonar X3.

Next, downfall.

CbB continually suffers audio dropouts when used for longer than 10 minutes,
Sonar X3, suffers no dropouts no matter how long it's being used.

CbB crashes when using the 64 bit rendering engine for mixdowns.
Sonar X3 doesn't crash at all when using the 64 bit rendering engine for mixdowns.

CbB doesn't display 32bit VSTi's parameters properly, or even save/load presets when using jBridge, or when using the built in Bitbridge option.
Sonar X3 runs 32 bit VST's natively.

Both CbB and Sonar share the same problem with projects that suffer a crash, and the written backup is not recalled when the program is restarted, I have to figure out where the 'copy of' is stored then open it, and continue from there, but I have to manually use 'Save as' to save it back to it's original file.

I could go on and on, and that's why Sonar X3 is still better than CbB.

Edited by usalabs
  • Meh 1

30 minutes ago, usalabs said:

I hear people say that CbB is superior to Sonar X3, I don't think so, there are so many things that can be done in X3 that cannot be done in CbB,  for one, can CbB drag and drop audio files into the track window without manually creating a track?  NO!, But Sonar X3 can.  In CbB to import an audio file (wav), I would (after creating a new project and setting tempo):-

1..........Create a new audio track.
2..........Highlight the track number in the left track pane
3..........Click on 'File->Import Audio' navigate to audio file, and it'll import it to that track.

Now for the steps in Sonar X3, after creating a new project and setting tempo:-

1..........drag and drop an audio file into the track pane and the track is auto created and the file imported.

Not my experience, here is a video using CbB showing the import behavior attributed to X3.

sy6VrmR.gif

It works the same way regardless of the project track count.

If there are specific issues, it may be better to address them in a new thread rather than appending them to this old thread.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, usalabs said:

Sounds like you're running CbB as Administrator.   Windows automatically disables drag/drop between applications running as non-admin and admin.

• Like 2
  • Great Idea 2

39 minutes ago, msmcleod said:
4 hours ago, usalabs said:

Sounds like you're running CbB as Administrator.   Windows automatically disables drag/drop between applications running as non-admin and admin.

Very likely but rather that discuss the differences between CbB and SONAR X3 here, I hope @usalabs elects to create their own thread so that whatever problems they have may be addressed there rather than in this OP's farewell thread.

• Like 2
  • Great Idea 1

The title of this thread reminds me of the click bait I see on YouTube all the time. The first thing I want to do is click it to see WHY there is a problem since most don't just pick up and leave a software program for no good reason.

Sure I have had those ARRRRRGGGGHHHHHH!!!! moments with CbB and in the other 4 DAWS I sometimes use. Trust me, no matter what program you use it's going to happen. Best thing to do is walk away and regain composure, come back to it level headed again and approach the problem in a more calm logical way. If you do this you will always find a solution.

If anything maybe this is something that we could consider as a future feature request on CTRL+S. If the auto save feature is not saving the same as the manual save resulting in potential loss of a project, maybe something could be changed in future versions of the program ? 

Even so, this won't guarantee you'll never have grief over CbB or any other software program. It happens. Sometimes not for a long while, other times more frequently. The OT poster seems to acknowledge all of that and instead  is upset over the supposed frequency of the failures which were not taken here for resolutions so far as I know nor were they disclosed in any detail. Just a 'lot of stuff went wrong'. That isn't very helpful.

A problem can be the same problem although it is taken much more seriously when it involves clients and hours of recording .vs a dude playing in his home studio. I would take this as lessons learned the hard way and save manually on a regular basis.  The days of instability for most in CbB are over. If this was true the forum would be glutted with such responses. No matter how stable the program is we still get these periodic rants by emotionally charged frustrated people  who decided to come at Cakewalk for all of their problems.

Just walk away, cool off, come back and sure if it makes you feel better, buy another DAW. Whatever works for you. I mean Cakewalk isn't losing any revenue. I'm sure they want happy users. They have worked hard and continue to work hard to maintain the program. In addition they have one of the most helpful forums in all of the web.

• Like 1

OY!!! Are we now going to get post after post based on the original thread from March, just because someone new decided to add their own "I'm  done with Cakewalk" rant?  If so, I will join in with my own rant. 

When relationships break up, some people tell all their friends and make the worst case for how bad the partnership was, often blaming the other partner.  Other people say to themselves, "It wasn't the right match" and move on.  Often those in the second category remain on good terms.

OK.  Done with rant.  Thank you for listening.  

Edited by User 905133
fixed punctuation error