(Starting this for Clarity) Midi Track: Changing the Output Channel

I am posting this to get a clearer understanding and confirmation  of the situation.  I have gone through most of the posts and I still not clear about whether the below is possible (without invoking complex pathways) or not.

Here is the basic question:

1) I create a MIDI track. 

2) Assign its Input to a MIDI Source and a Specific Channel (like RTPMIDI,  3)
     No issues here. Works fine. I can play Geoshred on iPad and record the events. 
     I an also play the recorded events on my KORG PA600.

3) I want to assign the MIDI Output to a  specific/different midi Channel (MIDI Output -> KorgPA600,  Out Channel -> 2)
     I am able to select [a different MIDI] Destination, but unable to select a Channel. 
     Is this the current behavior?  and cannot be changed?    I would also like to understand why this constraint/situation 

Moving further on, what are the mechanisms that can be used for doing filtering and transformations of Input MIDI Events before sending to MIDI Output?
I feel confident that this may be possible with CAL,  but wonder if there are other UI panels for doing this.

Thanks in advance

regards  

scook

CAL cannot process data in real time but drum maps, and MFX plug-in do. If passing data on to hardware, MFX plug-ins may be the simplest solution.

Thanks a lot for the above as it will get me going in the right direction.

Use the channel drop down in the track header or track inspector to force the channel

Can you elaborate on this - as I tried various things, but not able to navigate to this function. 
May be a screen shot or two??

regards 

Track controls in headers in the track view may be hidden either by a workspace or the track control drop down (image below)

jPDbCPI.png

Setting workspaces to None and the track control drop down to All reveals all track controls.

All track controls are always visible on track inspectors. The channel drop down is the one above C in the image below

Inspectors.3.4.png

5 minutes ago, David Baay said:

If it's an Instrument track, you will need to go to the MIDI tab in the Inspector to access the output Channel field. If it's a pure MIDI track, the Channel widget is in the track header when showing 'All' or "I/O" controls.

The channel drop down is available on instrument track headers if Workspaces is set to None and the track control drop down is set to All.

OR7bbSB.png

7 minutes ago, Sridhar Raghavan said:

I looked at MFX the plug-ins and it seems to have a Filter Function for mapping Input Channels to Different Output Channels.
Looks like what I was looking for.

For a simple one-to-one mapping of input channel to output channel (or Omni to 1), and MFX is not needed. The forced output channel assignment in the track will take care of it.

10 minutes ago, Sridhar Raghavan said:

I looked at MFX the plug-ins and it seems to have a Filter Function for mapping Input Channels to Different Output Channels.

I doubt it. That function is built into each instrument/MIDI track via the channel drop down.

1 hour ago, scook said:

Use the channel drop down in the track header or track inspector to force the channel

CAL cannot process data in real time but drum maps, and MFX plug-in do. If passing data on to hardware, MFX plug-ins may be the simplest solution.

42 minutes ago, scook said:

I doubt it. That function is built into each instrument/MIDI track via the channel drop down.

Hmmm.. so the documentation on MFX filter is misleading?  I was so excited to start using the potential power of those filters. 

regards 

3 minutes ago, Sridhar Raghavan said:

Hmmm.. so the documentation on MFX filter is misleading?  I was so excited to start using the potential power of those filters. 

MFX plug-ins are handy tools, just not for forcing MIDI channel data.

11 minutes ago, Sridhar Raghavan said:

SCOOK above is a screen shot of my UI. It looks quite different and I was not able to map to your screen shot.   
David Baay your tip helped and I flipped the drop down "Custom" to All and I was able to see the Channel Selection.

When documented features appear to be missing check the Workspace setting

Changing the track control drop down works but will not persist across sessions as long as the workspace is set.

• Like 1