Installing Cakewalk by Bandlab problem

mritenburg

I finally decided to try Cakewalk by Bandlab.  I've  launched the installer, but the installer will not allow me to override the default locations for Shared Folders, VST Plugins, and Cakewalk content.  Is there a way to override these default locations?  I want use my D;\ drive instead of C:\ drive for installation.  Before someone asks whether I have chosen "Advanced Installation" yes, I have chosen "Advanced Installation."

Thanks in advance.

CbB  installs like an upgrade to Platinum (because it is an upgrade).

The program, content and user directories are specific to CbB just like Platinum. For example, after installing c:\Program Files\Cakewalk will have both Platinum and Cakewalk Core folders.

CbB updates the vst scanner, plug-in manager, PC modules and other files in the shared folders. All Cakewalk DAWs use the same shared folders.

You can copy many folders to alternate locations and then update the paths in Cakewalk:  Edit>Preferences>File>Folder Locations. I would suggest doing the same with the Sonar folders. When done, you can go back and delete old folders AFTER making sure everything copied OK.  Look first in Preferences, to see which folders can have paths altered.

Bob Bone

Edited by Robert Bone
Added a little clarity.

This is true preference settings along with directory junctions can relocate quite a bit of the application and data.

I got the impression from the OP that they were trying to keep Platinum and CbB entirely separate.

This goes well beyond preference settings.

Even if one were able to have completely separate installations, the way SONAR and CbB use the registry mean some items will be shared regardless of where and how many copies are installed.

Moreover, there are fixes to the shared items in CbB that benefit Platinum and older versions of SONAR as well.