"The following Channels are in use by another application"

Ian Scanlan

Question

I have, in the past, recorded lots of songs using sonar platinum. Alas,  I am now unable to use this software. Every time I use it, I get a 'the following:  channels are in use by another application"

I can only assume that Cakewalk is no longer Windows 11 compatible. 

15 answers to this question

I use Cakewalk on Windows 11 every day... it's works fine on Window 11.

The issue your describing is to do with how you're using your audio device.  It sounds like you've got another application taking exclusive control of your audio device.  Alternatively, it could be that your audio drivers aren't compatible with Windows 11.

• Like 2

On 3/5/2022 at 9:25 AM, Wookiee said:

@Ian Scanlan are you using SONAR or the new CbB?

I am using CbB.  I have used CbB on Windows 11 without problems, I reformated my PC and reinstalled CbB - now I have a problem with the ASIO drivers. I can only guess that it is an update to Win11 that has created this issue. If anyone has any info that I'm missing, it would be greatly appreciated.

I am using an Echo AudioFire 8 interface.

"in use by another application"

FWIW, I recommend using the on-board Realtek audio you almost certainly have for all Windows sounds (random beeps, Youtube, WinAmp, etc.) and using your AudioFire 8 only for Cakewalk.

Don't let other applications use the AudioFire, and there shouldn't be an exclusivity issue.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, John Bradley said:

"in use by another application"

FWIW, I recommend using the on-board Realtek audio you almost certainly have for all Windows sounds (random beeps, Youtube, WinAmp, etc.) and using your AudioFire 8 only for Cakewalk.

Don't let other applications use the AudioFire, and there shouldn't be an exclusivity issue.

Thanks for the info, John.

5 minutes ago, Ian Scanlan said:

Apologies if my post was a little terse :)

Apologies for my snappy reply. There seems to have been a recent spate of people who are not looking for help but just want to unload their bike.

I get being frustrated but it is always a good idea to step back, take a few deep breaths and not let yourself panic.

A cursory search reveals several people using CbB on W11 without issue. Your interface is rather old, FireWire has fallen by the wayside and as mentioned previously it is quite possible that the drivers are no longer compatible.

Me, I am not an early adopter. I'll let others do the beta testing for new OS releases.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Jacques Boileau said:

... and make sure you update the title of this thread if things get fixed on your end. Just add [solved] to the title if John's suggestion works out for you.

Updated the title to a more appropriate issue. I will, of course, get back to this forum if/when I ever solve it. Thanks.

• Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, bdickens said:

Apologies for my snappy reply. There seems to have been a recent spate of people who are not looking for help but just want to unload their bike.

I get being frustrated but it is always a good idea to step back, take a few deep breaths and not let yourself panic.

A cursory search reveals several people using CbB on W11 without issue. Your interface is rather old, FireWire has fallen by the wayside and as mentioned previously it is quite possible that the drivers are no longer compatible.

Me, I am not an early adopter. I'll let others do the beta testing for new OS releases.

No worries, my friend. I have been using my Echo interface (with ASIO driver) without any issues before on Win 11. It's just that reformatting and reinstalling Win 11 this time seems to  have added another hidden gremlin.

Just thought I'd UPDATE everyone on the issue of channels being in use by another application. Despite me disabling any other audio drive in the Device manager, I was still getting the same problem of something using my channels in Sonar using ASIO mode. 

Anyway, this issue is now solved. I've just reinstalled Windows 11 and installed Cakewalk. Removed the WEBCAM I had been using completely from USB slot. No problems this time.

It was the webcam that was the culprit. 

Edited by Ian Scanlan
SOLVED
  • Like 1

A further update: `I once again, began to get the dreaded, "The following Channels are in use by another application". I could not understand why. I now know the real answer:

Make sure that in Preferences/Midi Devices, that the Microsoft GS Wavetable Synth is un-clicked.

Hope this helps somebody else down the line.

• Like 1

On 4/20/2022 at 1:21 PM, Ian Scanlan said:

A further update: `I once again, began to get the dreaded, "The following Channels are in use by another application". I could not understand why. I now know the real answer:

Make sure that in Preferences/Midi Devices, that the Microsoft GS Wavetable Synth is un-clicked.

Hope this helps somebody else down the line.

Im on 10 stil but this fixed it.  What a silly thing.....  thank you.   Im having so many other issues with my old firewire hardware this was putting me over the edge.  I dont want to spend another grand on a new interface.