Hobo Train - Final Finished

garybrun

Yes that what I was hearing. For the style of music it was a bit too bass heavy and not clear. I should listen again in my studio but at this moment I’m laying on a gurney in the hospital after a hernia surgery. 
What I’d do is play the track with Span on a master bus and look at the frequency spectrum. Compare that to a song you admire 

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, John Vere said:

Yes that what I was hearing. For the style of music it was a bit too bass heavy and not clear. I should listen again in my studio but at this moment I’m laying on a gurney in the hospital after a hernia surgery. 
What I’d do is play the track with Span on a master bus and look at the frequency spectrum. Compare that to a song you admire 

Thanks @John Vere
I have made some adjustments and also added a organ that was missing and will post later.
I just want people to rip the crap out of the song..  I wont get offended in anyway...   thats why I post.

A while ago I asked for a new forum to be created for mix and mastering where people could discuss there work and be very critical.

Hope you get well and on your feet soon John

Edited by garybrun

4 hours ago, garybrun said:

Here is just the mix without vocals..  think I am getting rid of the boom??
Also added an organ, reduced delay and reverb.

Yes you've gotten rid of most of the boom but there's still a rumble in those toms. Are they on there own track or in the overheads?  And to my old ears that's the only thing I'm hearing that I would personally deal with, the rest is right on. And the organ was a great idea, fills in the holes and sits in the mix without getting in the way. 

I totally agree that a " mix Review" form would be a great idea. That would much more help to me too. In a way I like to post songs only to get mix critiques. ( I already know my songs are awesome :) )   The more ears the better. We get too involved in our own songs sometimes and you can miss things. Not only those extra ears,  but some folks here have better monitors than others.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, KurtS said:

The guitars seem a little dull,  kind of like a thin blanket over them, they need a little air. 

Thanks @KurtS  someone else told me the same.

m struggling a little now as every time I adjust one particular instrument it effects the whole mix..  I'm working on it though.

hi gary, i'm at work so listening on ear buds, so my audio perspective is severly limited, but a lot of folks will be hearing this on earbuds as well so, perhaps there is some value in this post....lol!!....anyway, the mix works excellently....all vox and instruments are clear and balanced quite well, the audio is loud enough, no distortion/clipping present, no production mitpicking from me, so, on to my take on the song itself....i like it very much....the singers are great, the breakdowns are cool....i'd consider some banjo, fiddle and harmonica added to give it some more flavor....great work 👍🎶🎹🔊

Edited by Larry T.
  • Thanks 1

Great tips... thanks everyone.
Now its to put them into action in a percentage way... as everyone hears things differently..  but we are on the right track.
I am learning to go with my gut feeling (what I like) its very easy to doubt yourself.

The band themselves have different ideas.
Drummer likes to be louder
Guitarist like to be louder.
Backing vocals want to be louder

You cant please everyone  🙂

That's why I love posting on here as it validates different things.
Thanks so much everyone..  Ill post the final mix soon as I take things on board.