Recording "off" by count in measures

Mark Baker

Question

Hi everyone. Occasionally, I get a weird error whereby my recording seems to shift by a couple of bars, resulting in the end of the audio being cut. This is a very sporadic thing, and whilst I don't often look at the screen when recording, I can't say I've ever see the audio "start late". In the example image below, I started recording at M19 with a 2 bar count in. I then recorded my vocals when the chorus came in on bar 21 and stopped at bar 29. You can see that the audio appears to be 2 bars behind for the whole thing, and more annoyingly, I can't just extend the end of the audio as it has been "snipped off". I can literally press Ctrl-Z then R, repeat and it will be perfectly fine. Alternatively, I can try and record an extra couple of bars of silence on the end of every recording bit but that gets tedious pretty quickly.

Is this a known issue, or something that I can resolve in the settings somewhere?

Cheers.

image.png.0bd9928e1d54403f172bb6349541228b.png

6 answers to this question

This issue has been reported sporadically by a handful of users. I've never experienced it in all my years with Cakewalk so presume it's an interoperability issue with some  audio hardware/firmware/driver or possibly plugin-related. 

AFAIK, no one has ever found a clear cause or solution other than getting  a new interface or just having it spontaneously stop happening.

If this wasn't happening previously, and you have an audio interface of known pedigree, you might try re-installing the interface drivers or uninstalling any audio-related app you might have installed recently. Or try changing driver modes in CbB.

If you can't get to the bottom of it, you might work around it by using a dedicated click track with a snippet of metronome audio you can drag around as needed to get a count-in. Or just use punch recording so you can hear a couple bars of existing tracks before recording starts.

Cheers for the responses. The interface is an M-Audio M-Track duo, it is the only one I've used (and have). There were no effects running on these tracks at the time of recording, but the other tracks had some things on them, like Sonitus Gate and TH3.

I'll play around with drivers etc. and make sure everything is up to date. The most difficult part is that it is so sporadic that I can go several days without seeing the effect, then get it twice in one day, so it might be difficult to confirm what/if it gets fixed in the short term.

2 minutes ago, jackson white said:

I've seen this a number of times. and either skip the count in or skip the loop and freewheel+stop+rewind. 

looks to be some combination of count in+loop+?

Ahh, interesting. I rarely use the loop when recording, which might explain why I don't see this that often. I might try and play around to see if I can find a definite sequence of events that cause it to happy.

5 hours ago, Mark Baker said:

Hi everyone. Occasionally, I get a weird error whereby my recording seems to shift by a couple of bars, resulting in the end of the audio being cut. This is a very sporadic thing, and whilst I don't often look at the screen when recording, I can't say I've ever see the audio "start late". In the example image below, I started recording at M19 with a 2 bar count in. I then recorded my vocals when the chorus came in on bar 21 and stopped at bar 29. You can see that the audio appears to be 2 bars behind for the whole thing, and more annoyingly, I can't just extend the end of the audio as it has been "snipped off". I can literally press Ctrl-Z then R, repeat and it will be perfectly fine. Alternatively, I can try and record an extra couple of bars of silence on the end of every recording bit but that gets tedious pretty quickly.

Is this a known issue, or something that I can resolve in the settings somewhere?

Cheers.

image.png.0bd9928e1d54403f172bb6349541228b.png

I've literally encountered this a few times with a setting. It's literally an eazy fix, I just need to remember what it is. Try disabling the loop. Shizzs! I have to think now ajd try to reproduce it, but I promise its something literally infront of the user.