OMG, please help with sidechain reverb

JeffSouth

Question

I am going out of my mind trying to setup a compressor to sidechain a lead vocal delay and reverb.

Ok, I have a lead vocal track.  I have the Slate mix rack on that in the effects bin.

I have a stereoo bus send on that track as well.  That send is sent to my 

Lead vocal FX bus where I have Vahalla delay and after that a Lexicon vocal plate from pcm reverb.  

Right below that bus I have another bus while fircomp2 alone on it.

Now, I I right clicked on the vfx bus and chose external insert and chose the fircomp2 in the bus right before that.  

But, I am totally confused on how to do this.  A vid on yt says I should have the vocal send on the track, NOT to the vfx bus, but sent to the fircomp2 bus.  

Now, I am so mixed up I am out of my mind .

To make it worse, fircomp 2 has an external sidechain option and some presets activate that.  How would I use that?  Am I trying to set all this up manually when fircomp2 can do it automatically?  If so, How?  I don't see any button that lets me choose some kind of insert to the side Hain in fircomp2, just an on off switch.

Yeah, I hope someone can lead me through this in simple English, like explaining it to a 12 year old.  I mean step by step, like" ok, put this there, now right click and choose this, do do this, now record a vocal and test.

Thanks for any help guys.  I just want to tamper down my fx when singing and have it come back up as vocal lines end and such.

Thanks.

4 answers to this question

52 minutes ago, JeffSouth said:

A vid on yt says I should have the vocal send on the track, NOT to the vfx bus, but sent to the fircomp2 bus.

You need 2 sends from the Vocal track; 1 to feed the FX, the other feeds the ducker.

You don't need 2 busses. Just add the compressor as the last effect in the same FX bin as the Delay/Verb. Be sure the sidechain is turned on in the compressor and the second Vocal track send is assigned to the sidechain.

This can be kind of a cat skinning contest as there are various ways to accomplish your goal. However, @bdickens suggestion of using automation should not be ignored. It is the simplest solution.

15 minutes ago, Base 57 said:

You need 2 sends from the Vocal track; 1 to feed the FX, the other feeds the ducker.

You don't need 2 busses. Just add the compressor as the last effect in the same FX bin as the Delay/Verb. Be sure the sidechain is turned on in the compressor and the second Vocal track send is assigned to the sidechain.

This can be kind of a cat skinning contest as there are various ways to accomplish your goal. However, @bdickens suggestion of using automation should not be ignored. It is the simplest solution.

Thanks, ok, so it is 2 sends on the track itself.  I would like to learn this as I am setting up my template so I don't want have to setup automation everytime I do a lead vocal.  Once I get it setup in my template I only have to go in and set up the comp.

I did finally put fircomp in the vfx bus after the delay and reverb, but I was just sending the single send from the track to that fx bus and the delay and verb were going into the fircomp.  That seemed to work some but still not very good.  I'll try your suggestion.

My gosh, I understand it. I just put the extra send on the track and the output gave me the firconp in the vfx bus as an option.  Now I understand that when I turn the sc ext option on in fircomp it won't hear the 2 FX plugs above it in the bus, but will just listen to the send from the track.   I FINALLY UNDERSTAND IT.  THANK YOU.!!!

• Like 2