FR: Multiple Clip Gains

Mark Morgon-Shaw

Not sure if this is already a thing that can be done but if more than one clip is selected I would have expected to be able to apply multiple clip gains at the same time but it only works on the one you have your mouse over. Which means you can only do one at a time which seems a bit restrictive. 

image.thumb.png.52f9e1dad41e2fb99bbf387743fbb73b.png

It *can* be done but it's a bit weird and restrictive.

What you'd expect to happen is you select a bunch of clips, change the Edit Filter to Clip Gain and then CTRL+Drag each envelope to where you want. As you've discovered, it only works on the one your mouse is over.

The trick is to change the Edit Filter to Clip Gain first, select every clip on the track by clicking the track number, then dragging across the time ruler at the top to select the range of the clips you want to affect. Then you'll be able to CTRL+drag the envelope on multiple clips.

Select1.gif.e763dc90f762db4702c0b24013cfee9e.gif

This feels bug-ish to me, honestly. It's a weird limitation.

Edited by Lord Tim
  • Thanks 3

The subtlety here is the difference in the type of selection.

When you lasso select, you're selecting the nodes ( which are a UI representation of the underlying envelope shapes in the envelope stream ), whereas when you do a time range selection, it's selecting a time range selection of the clip envelope streams themselves.

The envelope code treats the two selections in a completely different way.

I suspect this will not be an easy one to fix, but worth looking into.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Champion! :)

The confusing thing is it *looks* the same when you right mouse drag around the nodes to select them as it does with the time selection, which is why it felt like a bug.

4 hours ago, David Baay said:

Works without jumping through any hoops here if I lasso-select (right-click+drag) the multiple clip gain envelopes (use Ctrl to add non-adjacent clips to the selection).

This is the first thing I tried and it failed, which led to the workaround for me. How are you doing it, can you do a Licecap? Maybe I'm missing something and taking the long way for no reason 😕

Edited by Lord Tim

4 hours ago, David Baay said:

Works without jumping through any hoops here if I lasso-select (right-click+drag) the multiple clip gain envelopes (use Ctrl to add non-adjacent clips to the selection).

I can't get it to work the way I think it would / should.  Any animated Gifs might help

3 hours ago, msmcleod said:

I suspect this will not be an easy one to fix, but worth looking into.

Am I right in thinking that currently it's not possible to change multiple clip gains simultaneously from the track's "clips" mode ? I can only get it to do one at a time.

Only by changing it to " Clip Automation - Gain " does it seem to let me change multiple clips gains together.

Ah wait, I think I know how Dave is doing it:

Select2.gif.398f05fa0076a6e3cd648752ff4e1f5b.gif

Rather than using a mouse modifier, like CTRL+drag on the clip as you'd expect it to work (but as Mark said, it only works for nodes rather than the envelope itself), hover over the header of the clip with no modifier until the cursor changes and *that* will adjust any selected envelopes, even if you use right mouse drag lasso selection around them,

If this is how it's working for everyone else too, I reckon I'll chalk that up to "I'm off to RTFM again" rather than calling it a shortcoming.

Edited by Lord Tim

32 minutes ago, Mark MoreThan-Shaw said:

Am I right in thinking that currently it's not possible to change multiple clip gains simultaneously from the track's "clips" mode ? I can only get it to do one at a time.

Only by changing it to " Clip Automation - Gain " does it seem to let me change multiple clips gains together.

Yes, I'm switching the Edit Filter to Clip Gain first by Shift+clicking one of the envelopes.  I did not consider that a 'hoop' ;^) 

• Like 1

Yeah, ironically that's what I was doing but I was doing the mouse modifier that you'd usually use for multiple selections. If I just dragged up and down on the clips without the modifier, it would have just worked.

59 minutes ago, Lord Tim said:

Maybe I'm missing something and taking the long way for no reason :)

Exactly this, I was.

On 3/4/2022 at 10:58 PM, David Baay said:

Yes, I'm switching the Edit Filter to Clip Gain first by Shift+clicking one of the envelopes.  I did not consider that a 'hoop' ;^) 

Ahh okay...my point was if you can change one clip gain at a time and remain in Clips mode then it doesn't seem logical that you can't do it to a multiple selection of them .

The main reason it came up is my Pro Tools using friend is switching to CBB as he can't justify the cost of updating Pro Tools, and he was a Sonar user many years back.

But basically  he thought it was a fairly standard thing to want to do and there's no faffing with track modes it PT you can just do it....and I think he makes a good point.

I'm wondering if there was a way to implement a mouse modifier to select envelopes from Clips mode, similar to how we can CTRL+Left Mouse drag down from the top part of a clip to create a clip gain envelope without having to change the Edit Filter.

So maybe something like ALT+Right Mouse drag to marquee around which clips we'd like to select for Clip Gain editing, and then we could use CTRL+Drag to adjust them (and if no envelope has been defined, assume it's 0dB, like how a default CTRL+Drag works on a clip).

My thinking with the modifier is it takes out the ambiguity from what is actually being selected, like Mark was referring to earlier. If that's *specifically* for quick 'n' easy Clip Gain selection, that takes the guesswork out of stuff.

Edited by Lord Tim

Alternatively, there is the "Toggle Track/Clip Gain in the Edit Filter"  keyboard shortcut. 

This toggles between what the edit filter is currently set to, and Clip Gain Automation so you can quickly switch back and forth.

I normally bind this to '\' as it's right next to SHIFT on a UK keyboard.

• Great Idea 1

Yeah great, thanks a lot, Mark. Now I have to edit all of my Keyboard Shortcut files to include this genuinely useful idea. 🙄

No really, this is super quick and probably a lot less fiddly than a modifier key like I was suggesting. Not exactly what @Mark MoreThan-Shaw was after, but I'd argue it's probably about as fast after trying it out for a bit tonight.

• Haha 1