How 'bout a Baritone Sax vst? Any recommendations?

So I scored a nice upright bass library and now (for a while now actually) I'm looking to get a baritone sax vst. I've checked out audio samples of a few; the Sample Modeling Sax Brothers (which looks discontinued), Fable Sounds Broadway Gig (says it's out of stock but how can that be since it's a download, so it may be discontinued too) and the Vienna Baritone Saxophone library. I'm probably looking at the Vienna anyway and I've already got a key. There's a few other baritone sax libraries out there, but several of them sounded like accordions lol. I've been using the baritone sax that comes with Kontact but I can probably do better. Anyone use this virtual instrument? 

1 hour ago, Chris Jones said:

So I scored a nice upright bass library and now (for a while now actually) I'm looking to get a baritone sax vst. I've checked out audio samples of a few; the Sample Modeling Sax Brothers (which looks discontinued), Fable Sounds Broadway Gig (says it's out of stock but how can that be since it's a download, so it may be discontinued too) and the Vienna Baritone Saxophone library. I'm probably looking at the Vienna anyway and I've already got a key. There's a few other baritone sax libraries out there, but several of them sounded like accordions lol. I've been using the baritone sax that comes with Kontact but I can probably do better. Anyone use this virtual instrument? 

The dsk and dvs 'saxes' are ok sounding and free.

Edited by kakku

Yeah the SWAM looks real nice, but a bit pricey especially considering I only want the one baritone sax, not all those others. I'll look at Cmusic maybe, and I dig that it's a kontakt instrument. If it's good enough for Micheal A.D. and msmcleod it should be good enough for me

11 hours ago, Michael A.D. said:

I use the CMusic bari.   It's a Kontakt instrument and it offers lots of articulations via keyswitches.    They have lots of sales, so wait for a good deal if you are interested:

http://www.cmusic.pro/product-cat/saxband/sax-baritone/

Hey Micheal, the sound demos for that Cmusic baritone sax don't really show the sax off that well and there's really not much else for it on YouTube. Since you use this library, if you have a quick listen to the Vienna Baritone Saxophone samples at this link https://www.bestservice.com/baritone_saxophone.html#ratings  (on left side of page) can you tell me if the Cmusic one sounds as good as that Vienna? Those  two Vienna Baritone sax samples sound pretty amazing and I can't really get a good read on the Cmusic one. Thanks dude

Edited by Chris Jones

Hi Chris,  I checked out the Vienna bari and thought it sounded real good, especially the 2nd demo where it had some jazz styles at the end.   I mostly use it for jazz and funk type stuff - seems like the natural habitat for a bari!   

Comparing them is tough because there really is not enough info about the Vienna model - no manual, no list of articulations and worse it seems that there are 2 versions and no info about what you gain in the more expensive version (or don't get in the cheaper version).  CMP's website offers you the manual and you can see all the articulations in a diagram.

Price wise, the CMP will probably be on sale soon for about $35 - not sure if Vienna has sales, but $116 for the full version seems a bit pricey.

Ultimately it just comes down to whether you like the actual sampled sound.  One nice thing about the CMP is you have full control of the 2 mics (mid and side) so you can really match it well to fit your mix.

6 hours ago, Michael A.D. said:

Hi Chris,  I checked out the Vienna bari and thought it sounded real good, especially the 2nd demo where it had some jazz styles at the end.   I mostly use it for jazz and funk type stuff - seems like the natural habitat for a bari!   

Comparing them is tough because there really is not enough info about the Vienna model - no manual, no list of articulations and worse it seems that there are 2 versions and no info about what you gain in the more expensive version (or don't get in the cheaper version).  CMP's website offers you the manual and you can see all the articulations in a diagram.

Price wise, the CMP will probably be on sale soon for about $35 - not sure if Vienna has sales, but $116 for the full version seems a bit pricey.

Ultimately it just comes down to whether you like the actual sampled sound.  One nice thing about the CMP is you have full control of the 2 mics (mid and side) so you can really match it well to fit your mix.

Hey thanks Michael, yeah I'll keep an eye out for sales for the Cmusic, it may be worth getting anyway with a good sale. Yeah Best Service doesn't detail much on the Vienna, but on Vienna's website there's a lot more info as to the difference between the "standard" and "full library" versions, basically there's a bunch more articulations in the full version: 

https://www.vsl.co.at/en/Saxophones/Baritone_saxophone#!Sample_Content

Lol yeah no Vienna never has sales, not that I've ever seen. Vienna seems to be just this super expensive library developer that has been around for a long time, doesn't do much advertising and is supposed to be top-tier. And you need a $30 usb key to use their stuff. 

Edited by Chris Jones