Safe mode? OCK drums crashing Cakewalk

Mark Baker

Question

Hi everyone. I downloaded and played a little with the Organic Calfskin Drums yesterday, and created a project with it (which is opening fine). So I made a template with OCK loaded, set to various output channels and with a drum map I created. I then think I made a bit of a boo-boo and made a separate project and I must have saved it as the template file format or something, as this project has disappeared.

I know have several copies of the cwt file, one in Cakewalk Core - Project Templates, and another two in my separate Projects folder (which I presume is the missing project), one as .cwt and the other an autosave as cwt.cwp

Unfortunately, all three of these files now just crash/close Cakewalk upon opening. I've tried holding Shift when double-clicking the file to open (as per the manual) but it doesn't seem to make a difference?

Has anyone got any suggestions to how to remedy this?

Thanks in advance

4 answers to this question

Well, I managed to get the file to open form the Projects folder, but holding Shift whilst within the Open File dialog within Cakewalk itself (I was foolishly holding Shift in the Windows File Explorer). I managed to save the project correctly this time, as a cwp file, but now I can't get any sound out of the original OCK track (adding a new one works though). I think, for now, the workaround will be to just move the midi to the new instance of OCK and delete the previous.

No idea about the template though which is still broken.

Ahh, I didn't know the Track Templates were a thing. Maybe that will be a better solution for me (I have several templates currently where each one is a drum VST set up with appropriate outputs to buses and colour coded etc.). I'll do some reading on track templates and see if they help, I suppose in theory that means I only need one "empty" project template (to set things like default count in measures) and then select the drums I want and load the required track template.

The beauty of track templates is they not only add the track they also create the associated bus if it’s not there yet. 
They are pretty simple to create. What I’ve done is if I have a song that I really like how it turned out I save those tracks as templates and I leave myself a little clue about the song. Example “AD drums Song 1 “ 

If I’m starting a similar song I can quickly recreate the sound of the original song. And yes drums take forever to get them right so this is a huge time saver.  
I found if I tried that with a project template I’d end up with a bunch of tracks I didn’t need. 

• Like 1