How to connect midi footswitch?

Joshua McKay

Question

Hi. I have just got a behringer fcb1010 footswitch and i have no idea how to connect it to my laptop. The midi cable is recognized, is this the same thing? The midi cable also lights up to indicate an input from the footswitch but nothing is detected on cakewalk when i use the learn fuction. I have selected the midi cable as my input but their is no option for an output. I am very new to all of this, any help is appreciated.

4 answers to this question

You don't say what you're trying to do. I use a Roland FC-300 foot controller. Connect to the computer with a MIDI IF, in your case an IF cable. In Edit preferences select it under MIDI -> Devices -> Input. Create a MIDI track, select your MIDI IF as the track input and select echo on. The fcb1010 is popular with guitarists. If you have an amp sim on an audio track, say AT5, select the VST2/3 in the top bar and select Enable MIDI Input. In AT5 you then right click on a knob and select listen and move a foot pedal.

• Thanks 1

The foot switch should come with software you install to get the drivers and set up what each switch does. 
I’ve never used a Behringer but I have 3 types of USB foot switches and even the one I paid $25 for came with software. 
It will also hopefully have a manual to explain all this.