Jump to content
Peter Hintze

FR: "Unbind" Pre-defined Keyboard Shortcuts

Recommended Posts

Posted (edited)

Hello,

i would like to be able to use and define my own functions to many of the (less used) pre-defined Keys (A, V, B, etc.).

So, the dialog should just allow to "unbind" the predefined functions of all available keys.

Is this possible in the near future?  (i actually want this since 1998 ;) )

BR, Peter

 

Edited by Peter Hintze

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
On 3/3/2022 at 4:49 PM, Peter Hintze said:

Hello,

i would like to be able to use and define my own functions to many of the (less used) pre-defined Keys (A, V, B, etc.).

So, the dialog should just allow to "unbind" the predefined functions of all available keys.

Is this possible in the near future?  (i actually want this since 1998 ;) )

BR, Peter

 

Just set the key to your desired function.  That should override the default.

For instance, I have set the following:

“A” to select All
“B” to Bounce to Clip
“V” to Paste


 

Edited by Promidi

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/5/2022 at 10:12 PM, Promidi said:

Just set the key to your desired function.  That should override the default.
 

I have, over the years, tried desperately to bind a custom keystroke to <process><find/replace> and no matter what combo I assign to it (even if after binding it shows as a keyboard shortcut on the dropdown menu) it never has worked.

So I just got used to mousing to it... repeatedly. 🤪

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, OutrageProductions said:

I have, over the years, tried desperately to bind a custom keystroke to <process><find/replace> and no matter what combo I assign to it (even if after binding it shows as a keyboard shortcut on the dropdown menu) it never has worked.

So I just got used to mousing to it... repeatedly. 🤪

I have bound custom keystroke SHIFT+F to Process|Find/Change and, for me, this works.

However, I do believe you. 

I too, from time to time, have found that when I have created a keybinding, it has not worked. 

I think this issue is caused by double-ups in the internal keybinding database.

When a keybinding doesn't work, I first bind the offending keybinding to a CAL script (one with an easy name to remember)

Then I export my bindings to two KBN files (so you have a unaltered copy for Justin) - these are normal text file.  I then open one of the KBN file with a normal text editor and look for the instance of some of the text in the CAL Script name I used.

There will be a number starting with Kx bound to the CAL script.......  search for other instances of that same KX number.  If they exist, then those are probably the duplicates causing the issue.  Delete these lines so that the only one left is the one bound to the CAL script.  

Then reimport the KBN file that you just edited into CbB.  Leave the unedited KBN file in case you need it later.

Then do your originally intended key binding  (SHIFT+F to “Resize and zoom.....”)

There have been many times this has worked for me when I create a Key-binding that has not worked.

If your keybinding are borked after doing this you can always import the second, unaltered, KBN file to CbB.

Note: I offer the same level of warning here that I would offer when editing the registry - only do the above if you know exactly what you are doing.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Promidi said:

I have bound custom keystroke SHIFT+F to Process|Find/Change and, for me, this works.

That's the default shortcut for fitting the project to screen 😶

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Mark MoreThan-Shaw said:

That's the default shortcut for fitting the project to screen 😶

And I changed it to Process|Find/Change...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Mark MoreThan-Shaw said:

I hope I never have to use yours !

LOL, me too!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Please sign in to comment

You will be able to leave a comment after signing in



Sign In Now

×
×
  • Create New...