Bandcamp is joining Epic Games

Barrie

@sarine Your post goes from passive aggressive to worse. Two plus decades of managing digital marketing and social media and writing about it tell me responding to a hostile post directed at me isn't a great idea. But here goes anyhow. 

I'm not against people following rules. If you've noticed, I've never created an off topic thread in this forum.  What I enjoy is people freely sharing knowledge and being helpful with others. My issue with the individual you are holding up is that he is consistently extremely rude to others and attacking people, he routinely makes inflammatory posts, he routinely makes contrarian posts and political posts-- when Larry posted a developer out of Poland was giving his revenue for a time to relief efforts in Poland the guy attacked Larry for making the post saying it was political,  tried to have it removed and then referred to a statement Putin made, referring to Ukrainian Jews as Nazis and he got even more political and attacked the US,  all in the deals forum -- so much for his feigned concerns about off topic threads and posts; I call BS on that. His posts in this thread are attacks and insults  towards others. And he, as he does in other threads, then goes on to threaten to have the thread taken down for being off topic.

So it isn't that I'm some defender of off topic threads, as you are trying to spin it in your over analysis. I just appreciate people being helpful and kind to one another,  and I -- mostly -- like people. Yes, it would be better if everyone used the appropriate places in the forum,  but in the final analysis,  if people are going to post in the wrong forum but be helpful and kind to one another, I'm good with it. I'm not good with someone coming along and being hostile,  arrogant,  attacking others and making know nothing points pretending to be an expert while attacking others, as the poster in question habitually does. He is absolutely a serial forum bully and troll and in the end, I find that kind of behavior far worse than off topic -- but well meaning-- stream of consciousness  threads. Even more, those kinds of posts are violations of forum policy and, IMO, malicious and off topic is far worse than well intentioned, friendly and off topic. The latter really doesn't bother me and I'm more grateful for people being helpful and kind to one another than I am an@l retentively focused on their threads or posts being off topic. And clearly, the moderators here agree.  And that is all there is to it. I  hope you can respect that I took the time to respond to your unfriendly attack on me and didn't respond in kind. 

Edited by PavlovsCat
Grammatical edits.
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, bdickens said:

If you've seen any of the gentleman in question's other posts, he is rather an asshat.

I have, and he is. Doesn't mean we have to top him.

1 hour ago, PavlovsCat said:

@sarine Your post goes from passive aggressive to worse. Two plus decades of managing digital marketing and social media and writing about it tell me responding to a hostile post directed at me isn't a great idea. But here goes anyhow. 

You could have just presented counter-arguments, but instead you chose to start off by misrepresenting my character and intent and insinuating my post is not worth responding to, while somehow managing to keep a straight face when you accuse me of passive-aggressiveness in the same breath.

Just because something is unpleasant to hear doesn't make it hostile, and just because somebody suggests you're acting outside your authority doesn't mean they don't see you as equal.

You said I went from passive-aggressive to worse, so if you truly believe your foreword there, do tell us which parts in the beginning were passive-aggressive, and where it got worse.

2 hours ago, PavlovsCat said:

I'm not against people following rules.

Of course not, but you have argued for exceptionalism using community status as justification when you suggested @cclarry to be granted the privilege to post personal sale threads and when you defended @Reid Rosefelt's right to "promote" his YouTube videos (in inappropriate subsection). Who's next to ascend?

2 hours ago, PavlovsCat said:

My issue with the individual you are holding up is that he is consistently extremely rude to others and attacking people, he routinely makes inflammatory posts, he routinely makes contrarian posts-- when Larry posted a developer out of Poland was giving his revenue for a time to relief efforts in Poland the guy attacked Larry for making the post saying it was political,  tried to have it removed and then referred to a statement Putin made, referring to Ukrainian Jews as Nazis and he got even more political and attacked the US,  all in the deals forum -- so much for his feigned concerns about off topic threads and posts; I call BS on that. His posts in this thread are attacks and insults  towards others. And he, as he does in other threads, then goes on to threaten to have the thread taken down for being off topic.

I get that. I just think it should suffice to say true things, and let everyone speak for themselves. If somebody speaks untrue things, drown them in truth and let it be. If somebody is unkind, say it clearly and don't reward them for it. I act under the assumption that we're all adults here and have the necessary means to moderate ourselves.

Let me also make it explicit that I very much appreciated you speaking out on the Ukraine topic, and was dismayed by the reflexive locking down of threads, as having open discussions serves truth and is one of the cornerstones of Western civilization.

Excuse the diversion, but the issue is (should be) on everyone's mind, and somebody has to say it:

Having realistic and truthful discussions about a war in Europe kind of trumps in importance the inviolability of our personal feelings. It's also extremely sad that we still see war as politics, when it should be seen as a failure thereof. It's different than getting unnecessarily worked up debating policies and their technicalities in a functioning society; we should be furious about mass murdering, it's the healthy thing to do. Any and all mis/disinformation must also be shot down swiftly and decisively with truth and open discourse.

3 hours ago, PavlovsCat said:

So it isn't that I'm some defender of off topic threads as you are trying to spin it in your over analysis.

You spun it yourself. (see this thread, and references above)

Yes, it would be better if everyone used the appropriate places in the forum,  but in the final analysis,  if people are going to post in the wrong forum but as helpful and kind to one another, I'm good with it and I'm not good with someone coming along and being hostile,  arrogant,  attacking others and making no nothing points pretending to be an expert as the poster in question habitually does. He is absolutely a serial forum bully and troll and in the end, I find that kind of behavior far worse than off topic [ ... ]

False dichotomy. I'm not defending the person and their antics - I'm defending everyone's right to be heard when they make sense.

I  hope you can respect that I took the time to respond to your unfriendly attack on me and didn't respond in kind

That is such a narcissistic thing to say.

• Like 1
  • Meh 1