Imported MIDI is reducing volume of track

Andybob

Hi

I'm a total novice when using MIDI. I use it to create drum tracks in piano roll using Perfect Drums.

When using piano roll, the volume of the track is fine at around -10db. But if I import MIDI from Guitar Pro, the volume of the whole track reduces to around - 32db with the slider set to 0db.

i cant find any setting that i can increase the volume. Is there a setting i need to be looking at to stop this happening or to revert the volume back?

the 1st entry is in red: RPN Pitch Bend Sensitivity, everything else after that is Note.

I have deleted the RPN but it makes no difference.

If i delete and re-add the plugin, the volume goes back to normal, so would i be right in assuming its the data in the Guitar Pro file that's causing this? 

21 hours ago, Andybob said:

would i be right in assuming its the data in the Guitar Pro file that's causing this? 

You would be correct. 

There are several ways MIDI can dictate volume, e.g. CC7, CC11 and note velocity. Potentially, even something obscure like an accidental NRPN that means something different to the synth being used versus the synth originally being programmed, or a bank change.

First, eliminate the obvious: compare the note velocities of the imported data to the default velocity when you hand-plant values via the PRV. You may find that the MIDI file's velocities are intentionally more dynamic, especially if you leave your handmade sequences at their default (e.g. 100) velocities.

If the volume difference can't be explained by velocity, and you're certain there are no explicit CC7 or CC11 commands in the data, try inserting your own, either with an automation envelope or a hand-planted CC7 event via the Event List. One way to check for undiscovered CC7s is to set the volume slider in the track header to 127 and hit Play. If the slider moves, then there is something in the MIDI data that's overriding your setting.

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, bitflipper said:

One way to check for undiscovered CC7s is to set the volume slider in the track header to 127 and hit Play. If the slider moves, then there is something in the MIDI data that's overriding your setting.

+ 1      I was going to ask the OP where the faders were. The other place I check is the GUI of the instrument. Some of them the Volume seems disconnected from the track fader.  I've run into hidden volume changes in the past with downloaded midi files that I could not find. Dragging the midi data to a new track and Changing the midi channel always solved the problem. Don't know why.