Strange bug with tracks pseudo disappearing

really don't know how to describe this...

basically, i have a number of tracks, in the most recent case they are all the same VST, but using different settings, however, after saving the project, and re-opening it, all the tracks still exist, but the 3 different tracks all seem to exist as the same track, in that, audio only comes out of the 3rd one, and all midi notes are directed to it, clicking on the instrument button for the other tracks brings up the VST for the 3rd track, replacing the synth in any of the other tracks replaces the synth for all the tracks. no idea whats going on.

hope that sort of explains it, i don't really want to lose the project as i had patched some really nice sounding synths, which now don't seem to exist, unless of course there is any way i can recover it.

May be plug-in related.

Try opening the project in safe mode (hold the SHIFT key while opening the project).

Safe mode has the ability to skip loading plug-ins. Might take a few tries to figure out which plug-ins if any are the problem.

feel like it could be plugin related, i think its happened before using the PG-8X VST, iv'e sorted it now, by deleting and re-adding the tracks, but its a bit of a pain, doesn't always happen, in the case of this file i have 3 PG-8X tracks and 1 SI drums track, and i know it won't be a problem with any of the studio instruments

actually not sure what version i'm running, got it off kvr audio should be the latest though, not the dev site, i better check that, not sure if its worth letting the developer know though as i think its a cakewalk specific bug, as didn't happen in my previous DAW, plus theres been no development for the past 2 years

It sounds like you have multiple split instrument tracks all feeding the same synth audio track. In that scenario its normal for audio to come from the track that the instrument outputs is assigned to. All MIDI goes to the same synth instance as well.

Are these simple instrument tracks or split?