FREE - McDSP EC-300 Echo Collection Plugin instead of $79 for a limited time :)

MusicMan

It's seriously useful to see you production nerds who are knowledgeable on mixing discussing your favorite effects, so us less knowledgeable folks can spot what to look for.  (Okay, I'm just being lighthearted using the term nerds, no one take offense!)

The one effects developer I find that all of my friends who record music digitally praise is FabFilter, but I mostly have been using Izotope stuff -- and even then, I don't know what I'm doing with that. So I'm definitely not worth the investment on FabFilter stuff. But I suppose I can download this McDSP. Can I get that with cheese?  Sorry, I couldn't resist. 

Edited by PavlovsCat
  • Haha 5

Lots of hoop-jumping, but definitely worth it.  It's a very nice/useful/fun set of delays.  I really like the duck function.  The plugin is very well-designed, stable, and CPU-friendly.

Far-and-away the best freebie in 2022 (thus far)!

BTW, if you want to zoom the GUI, make sure to click on the lower-right corner and wait for the little white lines to become bold before dragging.   At first I thought the zooming function was broken until I stumbled onto what I just wrote.

Edited by locrian
  • Thanks 2

58 minutes ago, PavlovsCat said:

Wait, I just heard a strong testimonial for McDSP from a friend who does music for video games who said they make really good effects and that he owns this and loves it.  I'm installing. 

McDSP makes good sounding tools, it is just the authorization limitations you will see major gripes about.  I can't imagine spending $80 on a plugin like this and then either needing to buy a $40 ilok or connect to the internet at all times all for the single authorization it allows.  

• Like 2

2 hours ago, PavlovsCat said:

The one effects developer I find that all of my friends who record music digitally praise is FabFilter, but I mostly have been using Izotope stuff -- and even then, I don't know what I'm doing with that. So I'm definitely not worth the investment on FabFilter stuff.

Meldaproduction is the brand that has inspired the most devotion from me. They have the most geek appeal of any developer, IMO. Sound fantastic and you can get very far under the hood with them.

iZotope's products are great, especially for "don't know what I'm doing" people (and no insult intended toward the company or anyone else). They have so many wizards and assistants and really good presets, and should the time come when you crack your knuckles and decide to get under the hood, their stuff sounds great, too.

I don't use anything from iZotope lately except for the Exponential reverbs. I've never heard a reverb that could beat them, although MTurboReverb comes darn close. Apparently my ears are good at picking out reverb tails, and they are the smoothest I've heard.

I know FabFilter have a heavy rep, but I've never tried any of their products. This is because they never flow any freebies, and freebies are always my "gateway" to becoming interested in a given company's products. I can't think of a single effect I've bought where the company was one where I didn't first get a freebie. Meldaproduction is the most notable; they pioneered that marketing method with their insane collection of free FX. Not the first to do it, for sure, but they did it on such a massive scale.

In the case of McDSP, the single license/cloud activation can be a pain in the neck, this I know from Fresh Air, so I hope they'll do what Slate did and repeat the offer so I can snag another non-cloudy license. Hard to find fault in a freebie, though. As far as I'm concerned, they have a lot of leeway. Thing is, though, as others have pointed out, if the stuff you have to pay for is similarly licensed (single seat cloud), I'll have to take that into account if I think about buying any of it.

• Like 1

For some reason the feedback control doesn't seem to be working here, so I get a single echo and that's it... seems rather odd, and takes all of the joy out of it hahaha. 

Also - is it just me or are there no presets?

2 hours ago, Craig N said:

For some reason the feedback control doesn't seem to be working here, so I get a single echo and that's it... seems rather odd, and takes all of the joy out of it hahaha. 

Also - is it just me or are there no presets?

1330725905_ScreenShot2022-03-01at7_31_56PM.thumb.png.344b2d90e161b0acfffab1668e8d206c.png

workin' here (presets and feedback)...  

Edited by e-cue
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, Fleer said:

Would like to thank MusicMan for finding us this freebie. A very good one indeed. 

Glad to be able to give back a little every now and then.. mostly while Lars is sleeping.. otherwise he's already posted almost everything I see 🤣

Edited by MusicMan
  • Haha 2

6 minutes ago, mibby said:

@MusicMan And BTW, and excellent post with links and everything! We didn't even have to work for it!  😁

@mibby Thanks! I normally appreciate when people add some of those details, as we all have different systems and preferences so it just made sense sense to save people time 🙂

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Craig N said:

is it just me or are there no presets?

I found them in the "VST3" menu in Cakewalk's plug-in properties window. Click on it, Load Preset, and there is a ton of them.

A lot of Plugin Alliance stuff is that way, too. Seems at first like there are no presets, then you check that menu....

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, Starship Krupa said:

A lot of Plugin Alliance stuff is that way, too.

AFAIK, plug-ins originally developed for UAD do not have a preset manager. They rely on the manager supplied by UAD.

Maybe one day they will add a preset manager to their native plug-ins.

Softube started doing this a few years ago.

1 hour ago, scook said:

Maybe one day they will add a preset manager to their native plug-ins.

I liked it better in the olden days when a DAW would query a VST and get back the list of factory presets, which would then show up in the DAW's pull-down list of presets.

Nowadays, with every new plug-in I have to poke around and play a bit of "find the preset manager." At least I now know about looking in the VST menu in Cakewalk to see if the manufacturer is storing them in a canonical location.

I'd be a happy boy indeed if Cakewalk could scan the presets when they are in the location(s) specified by the VST3 spec and then present them in its own preset menu.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Starship Krupa said:

I liked it better in the olden days when a DAW would query a VST and get back the list of factory presets, which would then show up in the DAW's pull-down list of presets.

Nowadays, with every new plug-in I have to poke around and play a bit of "find the preset manager." At least I now know about looking in the VST menu in Cakewalk to see if the manufacturer is storing them in a canonical location.

I'd be a happy boy indeed if Cakewalk could scan the presets when they are in the location(s) specified by the VST3 spec and then present them in its own preset menu.

Don't you know that this is evolution? The progress of VST3! I hate VST3 more and more!