record is broken when using MIDI metronome

David Thiel

When I set up the metronome to use MIDI for the metronome sound, recording does not occur after the specified count in.

image.png.71311214617d46797f256aba7488646d.png

after four beats this stays like this, nothing is recorded.  Sometimes it says Count-in 5 or 6 but is does note change.

If I switch back to the audio metronome it behaves like normal, moving the cursor as note are recorded.

To have the lowest latency I am moving to tracking with a synth and MIDI metronome.  So far I can not do this.

I'm using the default 'Recording' options.  I've tried all of them with the same result.

Just me?

David Thiel

4 hours ago, David Thiel said:

I am moving to tracking with a synth and MIDI metronome. 

If your project has no audio tracks and no soft synths, there is nothing to enable the audio engine which is needed to run the transport if the Clock source in Preferences is Audio. You can try changing it to Internal (i.e. the Windows system clock), but my experience loading old MIDI-only projects is that CbB no longer likes to run as pure MIDI sequencer.

You don't have to use the MIDI metronome just because you want to direct-monitor your outboard synths. But if you don't enable the audio metronome, you'll need to  add a dummy soft synth or audio track with Input Echo enabled to give the audio engine something to process.

Or you could just  dig out your old 80286 with the MPU-401 MIDI interface and fire up Cakewalk for DOS. ;^)

11 hours ago, John Vere said:

The Midi metronome uses the MS Wavetable midi  . . . .

WOW!  I never knew this.  I always thought it used MIDI gear.  Gonna boot Cakewalk and some gear to test.  I hope "they" didn't remove that.

UPDATE:  PHEW!!!!! You had me worried there, John .  Please don't do that.   We can still use external gear for the MIDI Metronome.

MIDI Metronome

• Use MIDI Note.  Choosing this option causes the metronome to sound by playing a MIDI note.
  • First Beat.         Choose a Key (a note) and a Velocity for the first metronome attack in the measure.
  • Other Beats.   Choose a Key (a note) and a Velocity for the other metronome attacks in the measure.
  • Port.                     Choose the port that the MIDI note plays through.
  • Channel.           Choose the MIDI channel your metronome plays on.
  • Duration.         Choose how many Ticks you want the metronome sound to last.

Edited by User 905133
(2) to report that the MIDI metronome does not have to use the MS Wavetable psuedo synth; (1) to get risk of "sucks"

Ya of course but it’s pretty rare anybody else is using hardware these days and it can get complicated to set up. But hardware is a great way to feed a drummer a click track with out it being part of the DAW audio output for live performances. 

I had never used the midi metronome mostly because I rarely used the metronome as I usually start with a simple drum track.
But to make the tutorial I dug in a little deeper and that’s when I figured out you need the Wavetable synth checked in midi outputs for it to work.Something I uncheck 24 years ago!   But then you won’t hear the wavetable synth with out somehow sending its output to your monitors so it’s a bit too convoluted for newbies 

Edited by John Vere

very interesting responses.

In the spirit of forum sharing:

I make a living with Cakewalk.  Even though in the distant past when I was a classical organ major in college and dealt with distant banks of organ pipes (50 yards) I'm not tolerant of latency when tracking.  My performances are rarely lined up with the grid.  To deal with this I enter fragments and do a lot of editing.

I  acquired a little dedicated blue plastic GM MIDI synth hanging off of a MOTU micro lite which is playing a wood block at D#6 on Output 2, channel 10, duration 6 clicks.

My notion was that I would only have the slightly indeterminate USB MIDI jitter between the metronome click and my ear instead of the latency of the 256 buffer of the Babyface Pro audio metronome.

image.png.4ded3d02e50e1cccb73b25723a919878.png

When I track I'm using  Yamaha EX5 piano or other appropriate sound to hear what I am playing to the MidiPlus click.  After I get the notes in I will orchestrate them with VST audio.

I switched to another project and found that I could record with the MIDI metronome.  Not quite sure why yet but the above gives me some things to look into.

To my surprise I was consistently playing before the grid.   An experiment: I entered in the d#6 on a MIDI track, mimicking the metronome and hit record; only to find that they were not together!  Hmmmmm.  I turned off PDC and it was much worse....

This is where I am at the start of the 'better tracking' day.

image.png.8258196a2121415667b7a92802c2ea0e.png

broken record came back so this thread continues.  I took a step back.  Since record works with the audio metronome I tried a simple experiment.  I recorded the result with my cell phone (to keep the computer out of it).   As you can see above, the tink played with MIDI hardware from the grid soundss and 95 msec later the audio metronome plays.  With a  buffer output latency of 6.2 msec I can't account for the other 89 msec.

so I looked at these settings:

image.png.020642deee1f68df91baf19f6986d338.png

at 48K, 575 samples is 0.011 of a second (as a music major I'm in the deep weeds now) so it seems unlikely that the Record Latency Adjustment is the problem.

So I have two issues in this thread, broken record when using the MIDI metronome and the latency issue that I'm trying to address by using MIDI only for tracking.

I'm going to continue poking at this till I wrestle it to the ground.

image.png.8258196a2121415667b7a92802c2ea0e.png

broken record came back so this thread continues.  I took a step back.  Since record works with the audio metronome I tried a simple experiment.  I recorded the result with my cell phone (to keep the computer out of it).   As you can see above, the tink played with MIDI hardware from the grid soundss and 95 msec later the audio metronome plays.  With a  buffer output latency of 6.2 msec I can't account for the other 89 msec.

so I looked at these settings:

image.png.020642deee1f68df91baf19f6986d338.png

at 48K, 575 samples is 0.011 of a second (as a music major I'm in the deep weeds now) so it seems unlikely that the Record Latency Adjustment is the problem.

So I have two issues in this thread, broken record when using the MIDI metronome and the latency issue that I'm trying to address by using MIDI only for tracking.

I'm going to continue poking at this till I wrestle it to the ground.

experiment 2:  Play the same metronome clip from a VST instead of the MIDI hardware.

Result:  perfect sync, audibly and visually playing at the same time.

confusing.... why is sound triggered from the grid through MIDI hardware not synchronized?

On 3/1/2022 at 10:37 AM, David Thiel said:

I turned off PDC and it was much worse....

The PDC button should have no no effect one way or the other unless there's a plugin in the project that induces PDC. So the first thing to do is to identify and remove that plugin.

On 3/1/2022 at 12:44 PM, David Thiel said:

As you can see above, the tink played with MIDI hardware from the grid soundss and 95 msec later the audio metronome plays.  With a  buffer output latency of 6.2 msec I can't account for the other 89 msec.

This much latency also suggests a PDC issue. 

On 3/1/2022 at 12:55 PM, David Thiel said:

xperiment 2:  Play the same metronome clip from a VST instead of the MIDI hardware.

Result:  perfect sync, audibly and visually playing at the same time.

Soft synths driven by existing MIDI (i.e. not by live input from a hardware MIDI port) are buffered up in advance and behave just like recorded audio.

On 3/1/2022 at 12:55 PM, David Thiel said:

why is sound triggered from the grid through MIDI hardware not synchronized?

If not PDC, it's a hardware/firmware/driver issue. There is no mis-configuration I know of that that can produce that much latency