Just how bad has today's "popular" music become?

craigb

34 minutes ago, pwalpwal said:

i'm no guitar player haha, just a listener, but he regularly smashes them up live but then keeps and rebuilds those destroyed 

and here's another clip on his pedal building

Its all good ..all I can tell  for sure is  he seems to like the combination of the lip stick pick ups combined with the Jaguar electronics .

It took getting a Jag for me to realize how versatile that switching arrangement really is ..Now some folks don't like it and prefer what Johnny Marr has .  I love it the way it is with the strangle switch and I'm seriously considering incorporating that set up in one of my Strats or Tele's in the future .

As far as this guitar player goes ..I know he ain't smashing pre CBS fenders from the early 60 's even though some of guitars are relic'd to look from that general era.

But hey it must be nice to be out there gigging while doing shows , smashing  guitars and building  pedals too ....

I'm sure any one of his guitars is probably a combination of  a few different ones . Plus when you factor in cheap paint jobs and head stock decals  it may take a true Sherlock Homes  to get to the bottom of it and figure out exactly what lineage  his guitars may be ..

Either way I will say this about him in my book he  ain't no modern day Jimmy Hendrix , But a  Truer Bad AZZed Human Version of El Kabong  I have yet to see and hear .

Kenny

Edited by kennywtelejazz
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, kennywtelejazz said:

the guitar he is using in the video is beat to hell a modified Fender Jaguar w lipstick pick ups ....

Ah jeez, it IS a Jag....and looking again, Rick from Underworld has all of his hair. I think I'm losing it. Guys, am I losing it? 😂

Well-spotted, Kenny, as I would expect from someone with your handle. Let's put 'er under the guitar geek microscope. Let's set this record really straight, because looking closer, this is actually a very interesting guitar in the world of vintage Fenders. Put a big "as you know" in front of what I'm typing below.

I'm not a vintage guitar dude myself, but I think they're cool, especially the weirder Fenders. I have in my collection a silver sparkle mother-of-bass-boat Squier Jagmaster from when they were making them with full-scale necks. I used to have a 70's Musicmaster and the scale just never feel right. I was trying to emulate Adrian Belew, but his "Mustangs" were customs with Strat scale necks and Kahler whammies. Go figure.

About our specimen. First, "pickup" not plural. Closer paused video inspection suggests he's got it in the 'Halen kustom konfig: bridge pickup is from another guitar wired directly to vol pot via mismatched knob (from a Fender amp, pre-CBS we hope). Neck pickup and all other electronics, pickup selector, thumbwheel tone pots, etc. have been yanked, leaving the chrome plates as you pointed out with empty holes in them and an empty cavity at the base of the neck. Interestingly, there seems to be a second 1/4" jack on the lower rear control plate, so maybe that missing neck pickup had its own output before it was removed, for, uh, stereo.

The direct-wired lipsticker would account for the full, chunky tone he's getting. 🙄

The neck and body are what make it very interesting, rare even, if original. The neck's dot inlays with binding suggest 1965-66, and that particular configuration was only around for about a year before Fender switched to block inlays. It's a transitional guitar. The neck and headstock look to be in fairly okay shape. As for the body, danged if it doesn't look like Olympic White over a sunburst. Maybe someone was a Beach Boys fan, Carl's Jag and Al's matching Strat being Olympic White. Unless someone attacked it with a white spray can at some point in its history, a factory spray-over (often done when someone ordered a custom color, as any white finish would have been in 1966) raises the level of collectability. This "roached-out" axe could actually be a '66 factory custom worth some decent change today, even in its beat-to-hell state. Yikes!

(You can order a brand new guitar from the Fender Custom Shop that would look very similar to this one (minus the deletion of the electronics, although they'd probably do that for you, too). People pay more to have Fender first make it a sunburst (nitro!)and then spray over the sunburst with white paint (more nitro!) and then attack it with abrasives and bits of metal to make it look like a road-worn veteran that someone else ordered custom in 1966. I have held such instruments in my hands at the NAMM Show and they are uncanny. In more ways than one.)

Here's a shot where you can see "Jag" on the headstock, the amp knob, and the sunburst finish showing through on the lower left bout:

image.thumb.png.40c687bb0273d37079ce33b10e5c6046.png

Edited by Starship Krupa
could be, not is

• 2 years later...
On 3/3/2022 at 9:30 PM, Tim Smith said:

I guess we all had different experiences back in the day. In reading some of your experiences, I see some similarity to the way I see the younger generation and their music. To be fair, there are very talented people in every generation, and like you I see many good musicians buried in anonymity in both theirs and older generations. We have session musicians here who played in bands and are really good at their craft ,Kenny and  Batsbrew to name just a few. There are others who come here even though they don't use Cakewalk much. We once had more of those people but they have moved on or they don't come by as much.

I wasn't raised in any area where there was any kind of a serious music scene happening. I was in the rural south east US, and you had to invent something there or it wasn't happening.  I'm glad I wasn't anywhere near some of it TBH. We still had the music playing from those other places. I came from early music education and  played with a bunch of instruments. Not necessarily wonderful at any of them. My mother had me in a Baptist church early on and I think it was a good thing. The music was in contrast to anything else.  I am still on violin as torture for my character building. I even hired a skinny German teacher who likes pain and suffering, and who could really care less about humans.

I caught the Irish music bug but had a teacher beat the interest right out of me. I also met a person who had a siren voice that attracted people. You think I'm kidding. I think there was a spell on her which might have worn off. The music I was going into then was probably most like "New Age" music because that was what she sang and I decided I liked things about it. After some introspection I realized I wanted nothing to do with "new age" or any "spirit" of this age because I know too much about all of that. I know where it originates and I know where it leads.I know what it claims to be and what it isn't.

The tech can surely benefit everyone.

65 year olds with Vienna all loaded up composing symphonies isn't a bad thing. Anyone who ever dreamed of composing their own symphony, have at it. You could attempt to sell it even.

I don't chase after any fads. At my age I have realized I can still make music for people my age, and I do, and I get comments they like it. I get more out of that than chasing what's in and trying to copy it. It is getting a little more difficult to find good fairly priced hardware because the manufacturers are making teeny little electronic keyboards and hit boxes. And if that's where it's all going I'll be taking another route. And if my channels all get buried in social media I don't care. I really don't.

Sometimes, the influence of teachers and experiences can shape our interests and beliefs in unexpected ways. It's understandable to be cautious about certain genres or spiritual paths based on your knowledge and experiences.

4 hours ago, Bridget Murphy said:

Sometimes, the influence of teachers and experiences can shape our interests and beliefs in unexpected ways. It's understandable to be cautious about certain genres or spiritual paths based on your knowledge and experiences.

It seems everything in one way or another influences us, would you agree? I tend to generalize an experience on a whole lot of people which really isn't being entirely fair. Deep down I know this, yet it's the only experience I have so it influenced me.

I have learned I prefer to be out of boxes, but still find myself in them at times. We all grow over time. As a Christian I see lots of boxes constructed by other Christians which are largely unnecessary. And being what I am in this time has challenges as it isn't overall generally well recieved often due to the way many see it. Some genre or individuals will lead me away from the ideal so I mostly avoid them. 

I have come a long way as I once entertained all music that seemed to be tapping into the magical which is glamourized. It was an interesting novelty, but the connotations of magic imply sleight and that's basically what it is in that context with respect to motive. Not that my side doesn't believe in it. It's all about the motive and the source.

The forums here are generally intentionally shallow and that seems to be how forums almost all are now. Since this isn't a philosophy area, I'll get my coat :) There are other forums I go to for that. No not John's forum either.

On 3/15/2024 at 10:36 PM, Tim Smith said:

It seems everything in one way or another influences us, would you agree? I tend to generalize an experience on a whole lot of people which really isn't being entirely fair. Deep down I know this, yet it's the only experience I have so it influenced me.

I have learned I prefer to be out of boxes, but still find myself in them at times. We all grow over time. As a Christian I see lots of boxes constructed by other Christians which are largely unnecessary. And being what I am in this time has challenges as it isn't overall generally well recieved often due to the way many see it. Some genre or individuals will lead me away from the ideal so I mostly avoid them. 

I have come a long way as I once entertained all music that seemed to be tapping into the magical which is glamourized. It was an interesting novelty, but the connotations of magic imply sleight and that's basically what it is in that context with respect to motive. Not that my side doesn't believe in it. It's all about the motive and the source.

The forums here are generally intentionally shallow and that seems to be how forums almost all are now. Since this isn't a philosophy area, I'll get my coat :) There are other forums I go to for that. No not John's forum either.

On 3/15/2024 at 10:36 PM, Tim Smith said:

Totally agree sir, there are even times that forcing yourself in a box would do more harm than good.

• Like 1

On 3/1/2022 at 9:40 AM, Byron Dickens said:

Muskrat Love if I hear it I want to go on a tri state killing spree. 

They were a one hit wonder.  Anyone remember their TV show?

The reason why music is considered so bad today is it's over-manufactured. Too much quantity.

30 years from now people will consider it good.

56 minutes ago, kitekrazy said:

Muskrat Love if I hear it I want to go on a tri state killing spree. 

*Makes note to use that in my defense...* 😁

56 minutes ago, kitekrazy said:

The reason why music is considered so bad today is it's over-manufactured. Too much quantity.

30 years from now people will consider it good.

But will Buckethead still be alive? 🤔

If we were to think strictly in terms of quantities, statistically speaking, I'd have to say that I hate music. Especially in this day and age when so much is being released...

The idea actually occurred to me on a few occasions in recent years, when I was subjected to some particularly horrible music song after song after song.

Music is like people - I intensely dislike the majority of it, but I love and care deeply for a bunch of exceptions.  

I guess that's what getting old is all about - seeing the number things that annoy you increase exponentially every year until you're just too anxious to leave this crazy planet behind.

Edited by Rain
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Rain said:

I guess that's what getting old is all about - seeing the number things that annoy you increase exponentially every year

Tip of the day:

Save valuable time by taking an instant dislike to anyone you're meeting for the first time.

• Great Idea 1
  • Haha 2

I remember when I was dating this girl who was long distance and at the time we still had the old telephones. So I was hooked on the song Telephone Line by ELO. Every time I heard it I thought of her and how I wanted to be with her again, which incidentally was probably the main motive for them to write it, for all of those lonely ones out there. 

Teen love is magical. Probably a lot of hormones too. 

I  stopped listening to the top ten. Probably should give a listen now and then just to see if anything interesting is happening.  I  tend to associate some music with events or people.

16 minutes ago, Tim Smith said:

I  stopped listening to the top ten. Probably should give a listen now and then just to see if anything interesting is happening.

i stopped listening to mainstream music years ago, because you get to hear it in the shops and malls without permission anyway, that's how they sell it grrrr

26 minutes ago, pwal³ said:

i stopped listening to mainstream music years ago, because you get to hear it in the shops and malls without permission anyway, that's how they sell it grrrr

Over here we get canned music in malls and restraunts. I was in the grocery store the other day and  I'm not sure what it was, but it was bugging the heck out of me.  For one thing they had it turned up far too loud. At that point is wasn't background music.

In places like Target , I would almost swear they did some kind of a study into playing musc that makes people want to shop .  Like move along, buy the stuff. Fast shoppers probably spend more money than slow shoppers.

12 minutes ago, Tim Smith said:

In places like Target , I would almost swear they did some kind of a study into playing musc that makes people want to shop .  Like move along, buy the stuff. Fast shoppers probably spend more money than slow shoppers

they absolutely have, asme as putting the milk in the far corner so you have to go by everything else to get there

• Like 1

You know the title of the thread almost invites negativity to me. I would say I'm probably uninformed about most modern music.

In a nutshell I see a lot of it like pop sauce. The sauce has that heavy programmed beat and some scantily dressed diva whose voice has gone through lots of correction and what she sings about is relevant to almost anyone on a very basic level, or it's about s-x .  Is that what's really selling? I dunno. Maybe sometimes.