Just how bad has today's "popular" music become?

craigb

1 hour ago, craigb said:

Just watched this again.  Yep!

It's a shame he doesn't know what he's talking about.

56 minutes ago, Tim Smith said:

I haven't watched the video. 

7 minutes ago, Michael A.D. said:

I didn't watch the video.

Don't bother.

Edited by Wibbles

I can't really compare todays music to music from pre 80's. It's simply not the same. You can't compare midi/sample based, quantized, and pitch corrected music that started hitting the scene in the 80's to anything that came before. It's just simply not the same. 

There are real musicians still forming bands and recording, but you really have to look for them now. And even most of those people are having their recordings edited to perfection.

Not saying one is better or worse, just saying in my opinion I can't really compare the two worlds. There'll never be another Led Zepplin or Beatles or Stones or Black Sabbath and so on. That kind of collaborative creativity is long dead, gone, buried, ashes sprinkled to the wind, and the widows have remarried and moved on.

Real groups are still out there but they fall in the 'Indie' category now and are really hard to find.

• Like 2

I'll say it. No, Most of the music today really is worse than older music. No matter how you cut it or slice it ( pun maybe intended). The MIXES are better.......until the get squashed down into a compressed format.

I'm  not going to apologize for bad music that leans too much on computers. 

And let's not forget, "Muskrat Love" was written by my fellow army brats from the band America.
Had 2nd thoughts; did I know what I knew? No!
It was written by Willis Alan Ramsey. Oops.

Edited by 57Gregy
Gross misinformation.

7 minutes ago, Wibbles said:

Sometimes the real instruments being played by real musicians happen to be drum machines and synthesizers and samplers and computers.

Yepper. As in the case of Muskrat Love, Never Been Any Reason by Head East with that epic synth lead, Frankenstein by Edgar Winter, Rush, Beatles, and on and on. 

4 hours ago, Shane_B. said:

Yepper. As in the case of Muskrat Love, Never Been Any Reason by Head East with that epic synth lead, Frankenstein by Edgar Winter, Rush, Beatles, and on and on. 

Edgar Winter destroying with the 2600.

This tune got the power to grow muscles and set the stage for a beat down . I honestly wonder if "Slim" listened to this to get the right motivation and inspiration it took to go out and put a hurting on Jim from the tune "You don't mess around with Jim" xD

Kenny

Edited by kennywtelejazz
  • Like 1

35 minutes ago, Wibbles said:

But the record companies are really run by the Lizard people, whose algorithms are designed to leave middle-aged men howling at the moon.

I'm sure there is some truth to that lol.

To be fair, not all of the old music was great either. The advantage to the new music is they can look at all the old stuff, pick out what sucked and copy the rest (however poorly in a sequencer). OK that statement might be just a little sarcastic.🤔

• Like 1