Audio Vocals Garbled

DallasSteve

Question

I've been recording vocals with no problems.  Today I was playing with TAL vocoder.  Now I closed that project and opened an old project that does not have the TAL Vocoder.  I had recorded vocals in that project with no problem last week.  I connected my microphone and recorded a new vocal clip and the vocals are all garbled.  I can hear it is the words, but it sounds like you put The Chipmunks in a blender.  Does this have anything to do with the TAL Vocoder?  I closed Cakewalk, re-opened it and the project, recorded another vocal clip and I still get the garbled vocals.  My next step is to uninstall TAL Vocoder, but I would rather not do that.  Is there a solution that anyone can suggest?  Maybe it's not related to the vocoder, but it's the obvious suspect.

8 answers to this question

scook

I hadn't tried re-booting the machine, but it looks like I solved the problem.  I was looking at the Driver Settings dialog box I posted above.  I decided to click Wave Profiler.  That ran a check on the system.  I then closed and re-opened Cakewalk, recorded a vocal clip again and it came out clean.  So I will mark this as the solution and if I have the problem again I will try running Wave Profiler.

scook

Vocals were recording fine before I played with the vocoder.  Would using Vocoder have changed  those settings?  I wouldn't know what those settings should be or were before, but I can play around with them if that's the best way to debug this problem. 

Also, I just tried removing TAL Vocoder form the VST folder, re-scanned VST plugins (it showed 1 Removed) and I tried recording again.  I got the same garbled vocals.