Clip Export Question

marcL

Finally I managed to use the clip names for export. First I had some trouble to understand the hidden logic! 😉

But now there is a new obstacle for me in using this helpful function: If SOURCE CATEGORY is set to Clips, then the track/bus settings are all enabled and locked. Does anyone have an idea what is the sense behind this ???

First I had overseen this, because the MIX AND RENDER settings were closed by default! This means that all the clip exports that I did the last days may have a wrong volume level. This will cost me minimum one day to fix, because I had done a lot of bouncing with those clips and this means I have to redo all that stuff! Damn! 😡

Anyhow, IMO the old dialog was simpler and better laid out, though it did not support naming with place holders. There was less risk to oversee/forget something, especially when using presets (as I did)!

Yes the new dialog needs a bit more work. The way it totally forgets what you set up and you have tp start all over again just to then forget something important ( like Mono) and screw up the export.  It would be nice if it stayed exactly like you set it for each project. Sure you can save pre sets but I'd end up with 2 pages of them if I did that. 

• Like 1

19 hours ago, marled said:

Finally I managed to use the clip names for export. First I had some trouble to understand the hidden logic! 😉

But now there is a new obstacle for me in using this helpful function: If SOURCE CATEGORY is set to Clips, then the track/bus settings are all enabled and locked. Does anyone have an idea what is the sense behind this ???

First I had overseen this, because the MIX AND RENDER settings were closed by default! This means that all the clip exports that I did the last days may have a wrong volume level. This will cost me minimum one day to fix, because I had done a lot of bouncing with those clips and this means I have to redo all that stuff! Damn! 😡

Anyhow, IMO the old dialog was simpler and better laid out, though it did not support naming with place holders. There was less risk to oversee/forget something, especially when using presets (as I did)!

When source category is set to clips, the track & bus settings are disabled because they are irrelevant.  For clips export, the audio is essentially tapped after the clip fx/automation - i.e. before it reaches the track, and therefore any buses.

A similar thing happens with the "Tracks" source category, where the audio is captured after the track fx/automation, before it hits any buses - so the bus settings are disabled.

[EDIT] -  Both Clips / Tracks source categories go through the tracks / buses.   The controls should not be disabled - this is a bug.

We added the "Tracks Through Entire Mix" category so that you can capture individual tracks as they are heard through the main outputs (i.e. in this case, it goes through all of the buses).  This is done by soloing and exporting each track in turn.  

The last expanded state of each of the dialog sections, along with the dialog size and position is stored in the registry as a global state, so if you close the dialog with the Mix and Render section expanded, it'll stay expanded for all projects until you collapse it again.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, msmcleod said:

When source category is set to clips, the track & bus settings are disabled because they are irrelevant.  For clips export, the audio is essentially tapped after the clip fx/automation - i.e. before it reaches the track, and therefore any buses.

First thanks for your explanation! This sounds logical for me, too. 😊

The only 2 things that I don't understand then:

• Why did the track volume change the clip loudness in my case? Nothing from the track should influence the clip export, right?
  • Why are the track/bus settings displayed selected(enabled) if they are irrelevant (to me it would seem clearer if they were deselected)?

Ok - my bad.... looks like both clips & tracks source categories ARE affected by those checkboxes, even though they're disabled.

I guess the easiest way to get around this is to make them always available - just confirming with the team.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, msmcleod said:

@marled - The track volume can be ignored by unchecking the "Track Automation" checkbox.   Just switch category to Entire Mix, uncheck it (probably along with Track FX etc), and switch back to clips.

We'll be releasing a fix soon.

I have a mono clip and mono track (interleave mono). Unchecking "Track Automation" results in a +3dB increase (about) in the export! But when it is enabled only the track volume is added! Strange!

In the past I always used SOURCE CATEGORY Tracks and like this the volume is correct (true for the current and for older CbB versions)! But like that I cannot use the clipname place holder!

Holly cow I wasn’t just imagining this.  I’ve been converting a whole bunch of older 44.1 projects to 48. I even made a tutorial on the method which is to use the export and the Tracks. Preset. I’ve had the odd re imported track clipping now I know why. 
Will keep tabs on this and I guess I’ll have to re make the tutorial if things change. 

• Like 1

Not too off topic, I hope, but wondered if you have  figured out how to get the exported clips named with strictly sequential numbers?

I thought {clipindex} would do this, but this names the first clip  .... 001, and subsequent ones  ... 001 (1),  ... 001 (2) etc. 

We have a lot of clips which need to be identified on export by a sequence number, and trying to avoid having to rename every single clip in the project

The clip index is calculated by its position in time relative to the other clips on the same lane, so the first is named 001, the second 002 etc.  However, this number only increases on the same lane/track.

In other words, if you've got only one clip per track, they'll all have an index of 001.

I tend to use the following to get everything in sequence:

{tracknumber}-{laneindex}-{clipindex}

This ensures you get a unique name for each track, sorted by track, then by lane, then by clip sequence in time.