Is Cakewalk Reliable For Large Projects?

Tim Smith

53 minutes ago, jackson white said:

means "unlocked", means you can overclock

Thanks for the clarification.  I had forgotten what the designation was. The 5820K did have reduced lanes and I guess I tied that into the nomenclature inaccurately. So the i9 I looked at was the 1100K. That's even better.

55 minutes ago, Shane_B. said:

The K means it can be overclocked and has built in GPU support. This article explains all the letter meanings.

I wouldn't go with anything but a K series.

This has not been my experience. In order of DAW's I've used:

1.Reaper

2.Studio One

3.CbB

That said, the difference that I've seen between them in recent years is almost unmeasurable. Things have changed greatly since the days of Sonar. They've all become rock solid IMO. What my preferences boil down to these days is the visual and ease of use aspects. And with that kind of thing there is no right or wrong so to speak. I will say though, out of everything I've used, Sonar 8.5PE was the last DAW that I used that fit both of those requirements. I liked what it did and I could customize it to look exactly how I wanted. Man if it only had the features current DAW's had.

Yeah,  I guess it's been while since I looked at cpus. Thanks.

Have you checked out using a different skin, a different template or both? Those two things  can change the entire experience.

You can make your own smart keys setup as well.  I never got into Reaper. Studio One seems like a light weight Cubase to me. For sure I like it, but I like the piano roll in Cubase better.

I 

5 minutes ago, craigb said:

This is why I only buy becan and not beKan, 'cause I don't want to overcook it!

😜

If I catch what you are referring to here, I would check the chip before attempting to OC. If it's already pushing the top of it's range I wouldn't bother. In the case of the 5820K, there was still a lot of breathing room. Temps on that chip never get anywhere close to overheating with a good fan and case air. I was surprised Intel still sells the chip since it's been out awhile. I've been running it overclocked for a long time with zero issues.

1 hour ago, Tim Smith said:

I never got into Reaper. Studio One seems like a light weight Cubase to me. For sure I like it, but I like the piano roll in Cubase better.

I could never get used to Reaper either. I've seen some absolutely beautiful skins for it. Some people sell custom skins for it. I couldn't tell you the last time I tried Cubase. I don't know how long it's been around, but I'd say it feels like a good 12 or more years ago since I tried it. I couldn't warm up to it at all.

Studio One has morphed a lot over the years. It's heading in a one size fits all direction now. It's big claim to fame was it doesn't do midi. And it still doesn't. How it deals with midi is proprietary. But as it got more popular people started demanding more PRV type stuff and here we are. 

When X1 crashed on the scene (LOL) people flocked to S1 and started hounding them to be more like Sonar, only stable. And the rest is history.

The one to watch now is Band In A Box. They are really making some great changes. They still have a few kinks to work out but I have no doubt they will and it will be a force to be reckoned with in a few years. Once they get the AI stuff involved and get it to manipulate samples properly the way they're trying now it's game over.

If we all survive that long that is. For the first time in my life I have my doubts anyone will be around much longer . . . 🚀🚀🚀

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Tim Smith said:

Well, I suppose that's your choice. Do you have your will made out? :S

When you have no heirs and no money, you don't need a will!

Ironically, bacon (a.k.a., becan) and eggs are MUCH healthier for you than most people realize.  WAY better than any breakfast cereal, toast, oatmeal, pancakes, etc. which just turn into sugars in the body (and then stubborn fat).  The so-called "low fat" diet has caused far more heart disease since it was first promoted.

• Like 4

On 3/1/2022 at 9:27 AM, Tim Smith said:

using the built in DAW channel effects are an advantage so far as cpu drain.

Yep. The Prochannel stuff is really good on CPU and results are on par with most plugins out there.

The EQ in it has an amazing GUI as good as most others.

Very underrated EQ.

But yeah, if your in the balloon and trying to gain altitude, throwing weight off always helps-

• Use 16/44.1
  • Use the included plugins
  • Separate the mastering stage from the mixing stage
  • Streamline the OS for audio, removing unnecessary programs and tasks.

I put in bold the one that matters the most!!

I have had mixes choke at 15-20 tracks in Cakewalk because I had a bunch of heavy plugins loaded and was tracking in 24/48 with a bunch of unfrozen instruments.

Me too. Except I was using 24/96

• Thanks 1