pro channel

charles kasler

I'm wondering how other people use the pro channel - along with sends, in place of sends, on a track or on a bus? It seems redundant to use both, but I'm just getting familiar with the pro chanel as I didn't use it previously in Sonar Producer. thanks.

Edited by charles kasler
to be more clear

With tracks, I use the FX Bin for sound design, and the Pro Channel for mixing. 

In other words, I'll use whatever effects I need to get each track sounding how I want it in isolation (i.e. with the pro channel off), then only use the Pro Channel for mixing. This basically emulates what I used to do in the analog world - i.e. record the source as I want to hear it, then use the mixer to balance / EQ things to fit things in.

For buses though, I'll just use the Pro Channel / Fix Bins as if they were one big FX chain.  

Sends from tracks to buses/aux tracks are either Pre Fader (but post any FX), or Post Fader.  If I need pre-fx sends, I'll either clone the track with no FX, or go via an aux track.

As a general rule, I use aux tracks for fx sends (e.g. reverbs from more than one track), and buses for collections of tracks (e.g. drums, vocals, bass, guitars, solo guitar, keys, backing vocals ) to make mix automation easier. If I can keep the number of "mix down" buses to less than 8, I can ride the faders via the MCU during mixdown.

• Thanks 1
  • Great Idea 1

By default Cakewalk signal flow is top to bottom on the channel strips. The pro channel is at the top and as said the design is like the way we used insert sends on analog mixing desks. I still have a bunch of those cables I used for compressors and eq. 
So like the others have mentioned I use it that same way I used insert effects and mostly the gloss EQ.