Some questions.

IndieDev

Question

Hello, please some questions, all with MIDI:

1 - In most sequencers, when you press STOP twice the timeline returns to the beginning, that does not happen in Cakewalk, can I activate it somehow?

2 - Can the number of channels that can be recorded be limited to 1?
In the screenshot you can see that there are two channels, I want to limit it to 1 at most.

3 - When I activate the recording on a track on which there are already recorded notes, those notes are not heard during the recording, I would like to hear those notes, do I have to activate an option or something?.

4 - Can you make the recording auto-activate on the track I select? In Cakewalk you select a track but that doesn't make the record icon cartoon automatically activate on that track (that happens in Reason), so you have to turn it on and off manually on the track you want to record on, I would like to have Reason's behavior in Cakewalk, is that possible? So you simply just select the track you want to record on and that's it, you don't have to be aware that recording is activated on different channels or anything like that.

In the attached gif you can see that I select several tracks but that does not affect the recording icon that remains fixed on the upper track.

Captura.PNG

gif.gif.gif

15 answers to this question

1 hour ago, IndieDev said:

1 - In most sequencers, when you press STOP twice the timeline returns to the beginning, that does not happen in Cakewalk, can I activate it somehow?

Use Spacebar to start/stop the transport. By default, Spacebar alone will just stop, and Ctrl+Spacebar will stop and rewind to  where the transport was last started (playback or recording). Or you can go  to Options in the Traack View menu, and enable 'On Stop Rewind to Now Marker', and the behavior will be reversed (Ctrl+Spacebar stops without rewinding.)

Another option is to set a loop, and the first hit of W will reWind to the loop start while the second hit will rewind to zero.

Edited by David Baay

1 hour ago, IndieDev said:

2 - Can the number of channels that can be recorded be limited to 1?
In the screenshot you can see that there are two channels, I want to limit it to 1 at most.

3 - When I activate the recording on a track on which there are already recorded notes, those notes are not heard during the recording, I would like to hear those notes, do I have to activate an option or something?.

If by 'channels' you mean tracks, just arm tracks individually rather than using the 'Arm/Disarm All Tracks' button in the Control bar as it appears you might have...?

Steve mentioned enabling Input Echo to hear existing takes, but that's to let you hear live input. If you aren't hearing exisitng takes. it's likely the Record Mode is Comping. Right-click the Record button in the transport and change it to Sound on Sound..

2 hours ago, IndieDev said:

Hello, please some questions, all with MIDI:

Yes. Press Ctrl+W to activate the jump to start/beginning option. 

Edited by Will_Kaydo

10 minutes ago, Will_Kaydo said:

Yes. Press Ctrl+W to activate the jump to start/beginning option. 

CTRL+W does not result in

press STOP twice the timeline returns to the beginning,

instead, CTRL+W is the shortcut for "On Stop,Rewind to Now" toggle which swaps spacebar (Play/Stop) and CTRL+spacebar (Stop with Now marker) functions.

1 minute ago, scook said:

CTRL+W is the shortcut for "On Stop,Rewind 

Isn't that what the OP asked? I'm aware of this double tab in another daw and it basically does the samething, just named differently.

Cakewalk just makes it easier for the user. 

5 minutes ago, Will_Kaydo said:

Isn't that what the OP asked? I'm aware of this double tab in another daw and it basically does the samething, just named differently.

Cakewalk just makes it easier for the user. 

No

press STOP twice the timeline returns to the beginning

there is no way to invoke RTZ by pressing STOP twice in CbB

There is a toggle transport function and a function to control the position of Now time on stop.

15 minutes ago, Will_Kaydo said:

Lol. You just wanted me to make a video scook. 

No. I could not care less about the video.

All the video demonstrates the effect of "On Stop, Rewind to Now" which was already covered by David's post.

All CTRL+W does is

• toggles "On Stop, Rewind to Now" and
  • swaps the key bindings for SPACEBAR and CTRL+SPACEBAR.

It does not demonstrate

3 hours ago, IndieDev said:

press STOP twice

does anything at all.

18 minutes ago, scook said:

No. I could not care less about the video.

All the video demonstrates the effect of "On Stop, Rewind to Now" which was already covered by David's post.

All CTRL+W does is

• toggles "On Stop, Rewind to Now" and
  • swaps the key bindings for SPACEBAR and CTRL+SPACEBAR.

It does not demonstrate

does anything at all.

Could not care less what you say here. So lets agree to disagree. 

Edited by Will_Kaydo

@IndieDev

1. As far as I can tell, Spacebar is reserved for Start/Stop only.

2. They have to be selected manually so select as many as you like.

3. Default recording mode is Comping which MUTES overlapping clips when recording.

You can 1. open Take Lanes and unmute them ("K") before recording or 2. set Record Mode to Sound On Sound.

4. CbB has no idea what you want to do when selecting a track. 9/10 time I want to play/edit, not record.

Would hate having to unarm a track every time I select  it.

@Will_Kaydo

If you're accomplishing RTZ by hitting Space 2x, I'd like to know how.

Edited by sjoens

I assume you're hitting "Spacebar" then "W", and that works. The OP wants to "stop" transport and RTZ by hitting STOP, or "Spacebar", 2x.

When selecting Track View > Options > On Stop, Rewind to Now you only need to hit STOP, or "Spacebar", 1x to RTZ.

Then when you want to "pause" or "stop" at end of transport, use "Ctrl+Spacebar".

As mentioned, when you deselect Track View > Options > On Stop, Rewind to Now, those actions are reversed.

Edited by sjoens

4 hours ago, sjoens said:

I assume you're hitting "Spacebar" then "W", and that works. The OP wants to "stop" transport and RTZ by hitting STOP, or "Spacebar", 2x.

When selecting Track View > Options > On Stop, Rewind to Now you only need to hit STOP, or "Spacebar", 1x to RTZ.

Then when you want to "pause" or "stop" at end of transport, use "Ctrl+Spacebar".

As mentioned, when you deselect Track View > Options > On Stop, Rewind to Now, those actions are reversed.

Yet, its still the same thing - it reverts back to ZERO. Cakewalk is a safer step. It prevents accidental reverts on crucial editing, by placing the second tab on a different key. I'm well equipped in every shortcut key in CbB and all its menus. So there's no need to explain the Ctrl+Spacebar or any other shortcut.  

Point is: Every DAW has its own language and its reasons. 

Edited by Will_Kaydo

1. No, not exactly. Others have described ways to cope. If it's any consolation, imagine the confusion and consternation of people going to Live! from Cakewalk (or one of the other DAW's that handles this the same way) and not seeing any way to return the playhead to zero. I do not personally have to imagine this.

2. Only with sufficient discipline on the part of the one doing the recording. I end up with probably more than I need, which makes for too much weeding at mix time.

3. Set Record mode to Sound on Sound.

4. Cakewalk allows for MIDI recording without arming a track:

image.png.2540e3d95fc6c3679ed4b4e3862a6b37.png