Can't get virtual instruments to record

Original post and updates withdrawn:   Evidently my PC has an anomaly. At least one soft synth running within the current version of CbB can generate MIDI note data by playing the mouse in the plug-in's GUI. The note data shows up in the track, in staff view, in the event list, and even in the PRV.  Somehow, the plug-in's keyboard functions as a virtual controller.

In all probability, others are unlikely be able to duplicate this. 

In any case, as has been pointed out playing a plug-in's UI is not very efficient.  

Edited by User 905133
to withdraw post
  • Like 1

The confounding thing about this thread is that people keep posting "can someone please answer this" when it was answered in the second post and subsequently elaborated on. Given the lack of information supplied by people posting the question, it's been answered to the best of anyone's ability. Here's a recap:

1. If you're using SI-Drums (and many other virtual instruments, especially drum machine plug-ins), you can't record MIDI data by playing the pads with your mouse, they are only there to preview the sounds.
  2. The way to record MIDI for these instruments in real time is that you must use a MIDI controller, either a physical MIDI keyboard or the Cakewalk Virtual Controller.
  3. Alternately, you may manually enter the notes you want via the Piano Roll or Step Sequencer.

That's really all there is to say about it. If you don't know how to do steps 2 or 3, it's not in the scope of this thread to teach you how. You can post questions in Q&A and/or watch tutorial videos, or even read about it in the Reference Guide. RTFM/WTFV.

Edited by Starship Krupa
  • Thanks 2
  • Great Idea 1

On 3/7/2021 at 3:25 PM, Starship Krupa said:

If you're using SI-Drums (and many other virtual instruments, especially drum machine plug-ins), you can't record by playing the pads with your mouse, they are only there to preview the sounds.

It is not possible to record MIDI by playing the pads with a mouse.

I already covered this in a post linked in this thread too.

Any synth that makes sound may take advantage of synth audio recording.

It does not matter how the sound is created, 

That said, playing a plug-in UI is not very efficient.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

For the record, the method of using a mouse to record MIDI note data by pressing the black and white keys on a non-Cakewalk plug-in's virtual keyboard continues to work today.  Likewise, it is still not very useful. 

I suppose if I ever need to simulate a note-quantized ribbon controller (either chromatic or white keys only) and want to record the MIDI note data, I might use this technique.  😛  Might be useful for psuedo-harp runs, too.  Or, it might be useful for an experimental piece--perhaps generating note data for use with vocal samples from different sides of a highly popular, hotly contested political debate . . . .😜   

Mouse Notes on a VST.pdf

3 hours ago, User 905133 said:

For the record, the method of using a mouse to record MIDI note data by pressing the black and white keys on a non-Cakewalk plug-in's virtual keyboard continues to work today.

This bug was introduced in X3.

Currently any synth capable of sending MIDI data can be setup to feedback to its input.

MIDI sent from a plug-in should not be available to the track(s) routed to the plug-ins MIDI input.

The routing still happens even when the track is set to "External Inputs Only."

Not sure how long this "feature" will be around but I would not depend on it.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 2 months later...

All I can suggest is review the videos.

The project image is a little odd.

Track 2 is unnecessary.

While one can have multiple MIDI tracks pointing to a synth and some like to have different kit pieces on separate MIDI tracks, starting out this may just be confusing.

Track 3 is an instrument track, meaning it is a combination of a MIDI and audio tracks. In this case, using SI-Drums.

And just to make sure, do NOT play or click the drum image in the plug-in UI and expect it to record on the instrument track.

I only know that if you have no external interface, you have to use the keyboard interface in-VIEWS-Virtual Controller-Computer keyboard. if you just hit the notes with the mouse it won't record. Mine says Microsoft GS Wavetable Synth in MIDI preferences, and I checked it.

Thats all I know about that, and it was maddening until I figured it out. Its only a starting point, but maybe thats your issue.

On 8/25/2020 at 2:36 PM, Ken said:

Okay, here's my problem with this entire thread.  People are asking a perfectly reasonable question (albeit, over and over) and getting berated for it.  That's because the answer(s) aren't clear and in some cases are incomprehensible or don't address the ultimate aim of the question.  It's my guess that at least some of the very frustrated people asking this question have gone to YouTube and viewed this tutorial: How to use cakewalk for beginners.   Now, if someone can explain to us how Mr. Simple Green Tech managed to make it work, I'm sure we'll all go away happy.  The problem is, we've followed his directions exactly and it seems to work for him but not for us.  Yeah, we're a bunch of nubes, but we're not stupid.  What's probably misleading about that video is that he doesn't show the mechanism for adding the various drums.  You see the drums being hit on the plugin display, but you don't see how he's doing it.  My guess is he's using the keyboard on his computer or the virtual keyboard you get by hitting Alt-0.  It would certainly be nice if you could actually use the plugin to put down the notes, but maybe that's not possible.  Have to assume that the way Cakewalk works someone would have done it if it were.

I tend to agree. Alot of the tutes assume you already know certain things, and don't really hit on them. Alot of times the things they don't mention are absolutely crucial to proceeding. For example: I watched, like, 8 vids on mastering, and not one mentioned how to actually "render" your static mix to a .wav or .mp3 file by selecting all the tracks and exporting them. This stuff is not hard, but it's also not obvious if you simply don't know about it.

If I may recommend a YT channel to subscribe to, a tutorial channel by a guy named RexRed (RexRedHowTo) This guy doesnt have 8M followers and he is very accessible. He will answer any questions you have in hours. After I wrote him a few times asking about rendering, he proceeded to do a live stream on just that topic, as so many were in the dark. I can't say alot of these guys out there would do that. Sometimes you just want unlock your stupid multidock, or make that dotted line on the clip view go away. Little things that can slow down or halt a project. He will answer you.

As for there being TOO much information to quickly, I guess they are trying to hit on the main bullet points of whatever the tutorial is about, so you can't really fault them. I just wish I could say " Assume I know nothing" I find I watch a tute for a specific reason, and when its over I am overwhelmed with the amount of nuance that I must learn. Being able to tweak every aspect of a mix can be a dual-edged sword. DAW's are not something you dabble in, especially CW, and I am aware of this.

Sorry to keep posting about the same thing, but I have spent hours trying to get my virtual drums to work. (I have studied the various how to get started videos). Still no luck. SCook posted this step, which I don't understand:

"Set the input to your controller, enabled the record and input echo buttons on the track"

I understand that the controller is the bar up at the top of the screen. I don't get what the record and input echo buttons do. So  I went back to the tutorial and followed these exact steps:

From the Start Screen, click New Project then select Empty Project

Click the [+] Add Track button in the track view. At the top of this menu, you will see Audio and Instrument. Choose Instrument.

The first drop-down menu represents the synth that will be used. This defaults to TTS-1, but if you have other software instruments, click the box and select your instrument from the list.

The second menu is to select your Input. If you're using a MIDI keyboard controller, select the controller, or All Inputs > MIDI Omni. Otherwise, Omni or Virtual Controller > MIDI Omni should allow for any input device to be recognized.

Check the box for Record Enable, then click Create to add the track. If you want to use your computer’s keyboard as a controller, check Open Virtual Controller as well.

Select a patch (sound) from your plugin, and use the virtual controller or your own controller to make sure you hear the correct patch.

Press R to record, then Spacebar to stop. Press Spacebar again to listen to what you just recorded!

I get the drums going, I can hear them, but nothing gets recorded. Here's how I've got it set up (I also show an earlier one that doesn't work): 

image.png.b3a3ef05862d53d6698750f852dfd13b.png

image.png

Edited by Chuffey
still frustrated