Sustain Peddle with Cakewalk SI-Electric piano problem - FIXED!!

alan933

Question

Is there a way to get the sustain to work when playing it? I get sustain during playback of recording only.

I see the control events entered by the sustain peddle after being recorded but how do you get that effect when playing it live?

image.png.9eab88d0f127340909ec4220688cf499.png

Edited by alan933

17 hours ago, David Baay said:

I should have guessed this cause sooner. Older Roland keyboards send All Notes Off when the last key is released. This should not affect sustain function on a properly programmed synth, but some allow All Notes Off to override sustain. TruePianos is one, and it sounds like SI Piano is another.

Go download the free SustainFix MFX from Tencrazy,com and set the option to block CC123 All Notes Off.

My first and long-time keyboard was an RD-300S that did this, but i never tried to use SI E.P. with it.

https://tencrazy.com/gadgets/mfx/

True confession,  I have the archaic Roland RD-200.  I like the semi-weighted touch, sue me. And I had high hopes after reading this but after installing and running the bat file, the dll registered ok but I can't find the MFX in the plugin list and can't figure out how to add it to the track. I have the dll in the shared plugins folder and I see it in the UI, but can't add it, do you know now?

From the look of the plugin , it looks like it can only be added to midi tracks, not VSTs.

image.thumb.png.a7c094e7eb602cf19be208af5791701d.png

Edited by alan933

On 2/28/2022 at 2:40 AM, David Baay said:

I should have guessed this cause sooner. Older Roland keyboards send All Notes Off when the last key is released. This should not affect sustain function on a properly programmed synth, but some allow All Notes Off to override sustain. TruePianos is one, and it sounds like SI Piano is another.

Go download the free SustainFix MFX from Tencrazy,com and set the option to block CC123 All Notes Off.

My first and long-time keyboard was an RD-300S that did this, but i never tried to use SI E.P. with it.

https://tencrazy.com/gadgets/mfx/

Well I couldn't figure out that FX so I emailed Mark L and was so glad he gave me instructions on how to set it up and I have sustain  on the peddle now with the SI-Piano!!!

In order to insert an MFX plugin, you can't use the "Simple Instrument Track" as created by the big "+" Add Track button. If you do that, then only audio FX can go in the FX bin.

Instead, use either the plugin browser or the Insert menu to create the plugin. The "Insert Soft Synth Options" menu should pop up, where you have to tick the "MIDI Source" checkbox (typically you also tick the "Synth Track Folder" and "First Synth Audio Output" boxes, too).

image.thumb.png.0908e727cd98c27055457c940f3fb0d1.png

9 minutes ago, alan933 said:

In order to insert an MFX plugin, you can't use the "Simple Instrument Track" as created by the big "+" Add Track button. If you do that, then only audio FX can go in the FX bin.

While it is true instrument tracks only have the audio FX rack visible in the track view, the MIDI FX rack for an instrument track is accessible using the MIDI tab in the track inspector.

2 hours ago, alan933 said:

Well I couldn't figure out that FX so I emailed Mark L and was so glad he gave me instructions on how to set it up and I have sustain  on the peddle now with the SI-Piano!!!

So what was the fix? Or did I miss that?

On 2/27/2022 at 2:15 AM, msmcleod said:

One of the main reasons for the sustain pedal not working, is when you've got your Keyboard Shortcuts set up like this, which intercepts the sustain pedal so it can be used like a shift key:

image.thumb.png.681a0adfa967f801e61d1100753e690f.png

The solution is to:

1. Make sure that the MIDI Enabled checkbox is unchecked 
  2. The controller is set to something that is unlikely to be used, just in case you accidentally enable it again, e.g:

image.png.6c05c5e08dffdd6d5dc5bdeaa83adde7.png

1st scenario: With Enabled and Controller selected, sound and recording stop once the pedal is activated, so there is no track data to play back.

2nd scenario: Mine is set to Computer and Key and have never had issues, so I assume this is the default.

Edited by sjoens

On 3/3/2022 at 9:02 PM, sjoens said:

So what was the fix? Or did I miss that?

The fix was to use TenCrazy FX on the soft synth inserted track with Cakewalk SI-Electric Piano. Your suggestion alone did not give sustain with that VST. It is true the controller has to be something besides "64 sustain" though.

If it works for you on SI Electric Piano, see the comments regarding my older Roland keyboard which it does not work on.

TenCrazy.com - MFX Plugins

Edited by alan933