groomed for success

Paul Bush

First, ya great song very enjoyable and as other say even with the kinda jerky motion it works. 

On that topic I have many live recordings from a band I was in and I manage to tighten them up with a little effort. Now it's not clear but I'm assuming your using real drums? 

If so then what I do is first drag the snare track to the timeline to create a tempo map.  I then will use the grid this creates to align things. 

First move is drum replacer to turn the Kick and snare into Midi. I then quantize to the created tempo map. Lots of option here with drum replacer. 

I also can take the bass track and drag that to a midi track and replace with Ample P bass lite. It will need some basic editing but once done I can't hear much of a difference and mostly it will sound much tighter.

Guitars can be a little sloppy but if there's a glaring error it's easy just to use split and drag the clip to the grid. I just did an entire song where the banjo was all over the map. I more or less cut and dragged 60% of the notes into short clips sometimes using CTRL drag to time stretch them. Anyhow lots of tricks that work without audio snap being involved. I never have much luck with that rabbit hole. 

But if your having fun and enjoy what you've made that's more important than seeking perfection. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, John Vere said:

First, ya great song very enjoyable and as other say even with the kinda jerky motion it works. 

On that topic I have many live recordings from a band I was in and I manage to tighten them up with a little effort. Now it's not clear but I'm assuming your using real drums? 

If so then what I do is first drag the snare track to the timeline to create a tempo map.  I then will use the grid this creates to align things. 

First move is drum replacer to turn the Kick and snare into Midi. I then quantize to the created tempo map. Lots of option here with drum replacer. 

I also can take the bass track and drag that to a midi track and replace with Ample P bass lite. It will need some basic editing but once done I can't hear much of a difference and mostly it will sound much tighter.

Guitars can be a little sloppy but if there's a glaring error it's easy just to use split and drag the clip to the grid. I just did an entire song where the banjo was all over the map. I more or less cut and dragged 60% of the notes into short clips sometimes using CTRL drag to time stretch them. Anyhow lots of tricks that work without audio snap being involved. I never have much luck with that rabbit hole. 

But if your having fun and enjoy what you've made that's more important than seeking perfection. 

Hi John , well I´m using ezdrummer 2   mainly I use drum patterns that are from the same song patten so that  they should all corespond  , its all down to me hearing it and hearing it so many times  I just get blinkered so i leave it for a few days and then correct the howling errors ,that said the writing process is where the fun is  and i love the recording part as well .. I just wish I had producer who did all the proper hard work  and  told me ``how wonderful i am´´ (i´m joking) thanks for the encouraging comments ......ps the next song I´m writing  will hopfully be better mind you I say that after every song I finish ...cheers P

On 3/12/2022 at 12:15 AM, Paul Bush said:

next song I´m writing  will hopefully be better. mind you I say that after every song I finish

Lather, rinse, repeat.

Good tune.

t

only crit, I'd want a little more "air" in the top end. How you get there? I struggle with it all the time...
Maybe there's some "masking" going on? Upper mid's? Just need a "lift" on the Master EQ?
Again, I struggle with it all the time...