Sandra Nye

53mph

This is an old track that I'm thinking of rereleasing.  I no longer have the project files thanks to a hard drive incident, so I can only work on the master. I've tried to clean it up a bit, eq it, give it a bit of a vintage feel, but what you hear is what you get.

It's meant to be quite full on intense - think early Swervedriver or Dinosaur Jnr 

All feedback appreciated. 

• Like 1

Sounds good to me.
I have some old songs that I've redone, but since I wasn't very diligent about saving the tracks or noting which vst/fx settings were used, the songs came out very different from the original. Which is okay but you always think it's supposed to sound like the original.
-Bjorn

• Thanks 1

Big thank you to everyone who took the time to listen.

Amazingly I found an old backup of the original Sonar session. I need to substitute some of the effects and VSTs but I've got it back to more or less the same sound.

However, the earlier track was a radio unfriendly 6 minutes long 😳 so I'm gonna make a long play version and put it up here soon.

In an age of 30 second Tic Tonk musicians, I'm gonna go long play 🤘

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I went back to an older version and reworked it. More Punch to the drums and Bass for example.  I'm still going for that 90s guitar sound of SwerveDriver. Let me know what you'all think. 

This version is over 6 minutes. Reminds me of when I released my second single back in 2002. It was over 5 minutes long and still the DJs on XFM played it despite its length.  Never give up. Never compromise.

Edited by Philip G Hunt
  • Like 2

I listened to both versions, and the song is catchy with a nifty hook on that palm mutey guitar line. The second version is really getting there but you might get that snare breathing a bit more somehow. I think it's wonderful how you are unburying this song and giving it new life.  Very cool indeed.

cheers,

-Tom

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, PhonoBrainer said:

I listened to both versions, and the song is catchy with a nifty hook on that palm mutey guitar line. The second version is really getting there but you might get that snare breathing a bit more somehow. I think it's wonderful how you are unburying this song and giving it new life.  Very cool indeed.

cheers,

-Tom

Thanks mate. Do you have any ideas on how to make the snare breath more? What if I passed it through an app such as Air?

Thanks for the encouragement. 🙏

Yeah sorry, not a very super specific or useful observation I made! Breathing, as in a bit more upper end eq boosts to add some natural higher frequencies.

But it totally matters what snare you are starting with. Is it a live recorded snare? If so you may not have a lot of good upper frequencies to work with. In that case you can play around with adding a clap sample when each snare hits, adding mostly just the upper eq of the clap hit (season to taste).

If it's a sample from some drum vst, you might be able to swap that sample out for another that has more sparkle up yonder.

Of course if you dig the snare as is, that's easier! 😃 I was hearing a cool rockabilly/ska vibe and those songs can have some crack on the snare sometimes.

Cool tune, looking forward to hearing where it goes . . .

Edited by PhonoBrainer

6 hours ago, PhonoBrainer said:

Yeah sorry, not a very super specific or useful observation I made! Breathing, as in a bit more upper end eq boosts to add some natural higher frequencies.

But it totally matters what snare you are starting with. Is it a live recorded snare? If so you may not have a lot of good upper frequencies to work with. In that case you can play around with adding a clap sample when each snare hits, adding mostly just the upper eq of the clap hit (season to taste).

If it's a sample from some drum vst, you might be able to swap that sample out for another that has more sparkle up yonder.

Of course if you dig the snare as is, that's easier! 😃 I was hearing a cool rockabilly/ska vibe and those songs can have some crack on the snare sometimes.

Cool tune, looking forward to hearing where it goes . . .

How about this mix? I've used some heavy drummer destroying stuff from WA Productions.

The drums aren't live. And they're not sampled. Would you believe me if I told you that they are from Sonar version 6? I think it's Session Drummer 1 or 2.

4 minutes ago, DeeringAmps said:

I'm liking the (2022) long mix.
Way improved over the original.
The snare in ver2 isn't working for me.
Just my nickel98 here Phillip; your song, your production...

t

Oh no! because the Ver 2  mix is the one that has gone off to Radio and for streaming. *fingers crossed* :D

Edited by Philip G Hunt
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Picking my son up from a school trip just in time for him to hear his dad's song being played on radio.

A good day. 🤜🤛

And it sounded *****ing awesome on radio too.

Edited by Philip G Hunt
  • Like 2