Opinions on Console 1 Fader

cclarry

Not sure what kind of a nudge you are looking for ... but my thoughts...

Are you buying it, just because it's a good deal, or because you need it, and would use it and it would improve your work flow?

Is there something else (physical instrument, virtual instrument) that would fill a gap, and you have a specific project for it?

Is there something else that you need, that saving that money would get you closer to being able to buy?

These are questions I started asking myself in the last year, as I've bought way too much that I "thought" I would use, or "thought" was cool, and it's not being used. I also started saving that money, and have bought a couple physical synths, that have been fun to work with and keep me away from just sitting at the computer.

Just some of my thoughts, Im sure others will help you as well.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

I have used it. It's "cool" if you use a lot of console/vintage processor emulating software as part of typical workflow. Our desire to make things look like vintage gear has lead to a lot if great software using knob visual controls that are awkward in a mouse world. Being able to physically turn knobs when using plugins like Bettermaker EQ is far more intuitive in matching what your eyes see and brain processes. If you use a lot of these type plugins and you actually make money doing this, it pays for itself in time saved. On the other hand, if your workflow uses plugins not based on knobs this becomes a "cool" piece of redundancy.  The 16 knobs on my minilab and the 8 knobs on my vx49 do the same thing. Admittedly the layout is not as intuitive, but not a big deal when I factor price and need vs want.  I find myself using the smart focus knob on my audient interface is just as intuitive

• Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, Spice3d said:

I have one. It was incredibly cool initially. However, I've gone back to just using the DAW knobs. Keep in mind, you have to have a plug-in on every single channel it controls.

Yeah...that's kind of the part that's giving me pause...

5 hours ago, cclarry said:

Looking for reviews of the Softube Console 1 Fader.  I've got a 
great deal on a brand new one lined up...but just need a "nudge"
in either direction...

is it worth giving it a try - if it's cheap enough you should be able to move it on via ebay without much loss ?

FWIW I have various DAW fader things (controlfreak/US2400/cc121)  but they never really seem to fully unleash you from the mouse/keyboard.  Because you always seem to have one hand on the mouse/keyboard anyway, then you end up just using that most of the time.  I find the CC121 (for cubendo) the most useful as it's a single fader and you can just use it to write fader automation.....and that's all.

10 minutes ago, simon said:

is it worth giving it a try - if it's cheap enough you should be able to move it on via ebay without much loss ?

FWIW I have various DAW fader things (controlfreak/US2400/cc121)  but they never really seem to fully unleash you from the mouse/keyboard.  Because you always seem to have one hand on the mouse/keyboard anyway, then you end up just using that most of the time.  I find the CC121 (for cubendo) the most useful as it's a single fader and you can just use it to write fader automation.....and that's all.

It's $500 Shipped brand new....and they are selling used for between 5 and 6 hundred...so that's
a pretty good indicator of value retention, and resale potential - at $500 it would probably resell
relatively quick to get my money back if it didn't "pan out" (see what I did there? :D)

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

43 minutes ago, cclarry said:

It's $500 Shipped brand new....and they are selling used for between 5 and 6 hundred...so that's
a pretty good indicator of value retention, and resale potential - at $500 it would probably resell
relatively quick to get my money back if it didn't "pan out" (see what I did there? :D)

I would def go fro the original one , cheaper and you can do all 5e thing and way more with it ....the fader version is a conveniance not more 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, telecode 101 said:

Is the bestservice one? IIRC,  they had that Fader on sale for a while. I was interested but not sure i need the fader. i think i need consoleone instead.

i also got the impression the fader works  like an add on to console one. i may be wrong.

Yes...and it works as a Console 1....just doesn't have the knobs, so as is implied, it's the "Fader" portion,
rather than the knobs....and the 2 can work together if you want both knobs and faders...

4 minutes ago, cclarry said:

Yes...and it works as a Console 1....just doesn't have the knobs, so as is implied, it's the "Fader" portion,
rather than the knobs....and the 2 can work together if you want both knobs and faders...

yeah.  thats the one. i think i need knobs , not faders, with these fx when i use them. it also draws power via USB IIRC to drive the faders.

https://www.bestservice.com/console_1_fader.html

Edited by telecode 101
  • Like 1

18 minutes ago, cclarry said:

Keep in mind the knobs unit is basically a single console channel strip and only works on one track at a time. It controls a software EQ and compressor.  The fader is basically gain only, but controls 10 tracks at a a time. 

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Spice3d said:

Keep in mind the knobs unit is basically a single console channel strip and only works on one track at a time. It controls a software EQ and compressor.  The fader is basically gain only, but controls 10 tracks at a a time. 

I always thought 10 was an 'odd' number of faders to put in a hardware unit. 8 or 16 or 24 is what I would expect to see. For me dealing with 16 tracks of recorded (live) drums I prefer 16 faders, thus I'm glad I got the Presonus Faderport 16 (and I still do have the console1) before the Console 1 Fader unit was announced.

@cclarry going with the fader unit (also acting as a console1) would/could be a plus for you out of the gate.

• Like 3

9 hours ago, cclarry said:

It's not cheaper than $500 Zo....

Seconde hand it s 350 and you get a great channel  strip , don t be scared of second , it s build like a tank ...

to emphases what @Bapu said , the combo console 1 + fader port ( mine is the single fader) is super powerfull .... 

Edited by Zo
  • Like 2

6 hours ago, cclarry said:

You can get the "Knobs" version at Thomann for $425 and about $50 shipping...
https://www.thomannmusic.com/softube_console_1_mk_2.htm?listPosition=1&ref=hea_sea_rslt_Console%2B1_406035_0_1

Guys I have Console 1 (knob version) that has been occasionally used for a few months, now sitting in the box as it doesn't fit on my workspace. I have additional Neve channel strip = British Class A for Console 1 plugins as well (plus of course included SSL channel). I can let it go for cheap. If interested PM me.

It sounds great, as all Softube stuff but I have almost all UAD and PA plugins + more, so don't miss it. The promised UAD integrations , which works great for the implemented plugins has been abandoned by Softube and no new UAD plugins get the control 1 surface support, that was slight disappointment.

For the price of Console 1 and included channel strips, you can do much worse elsewhere.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Zo said:

Seconde hand it s 350 and you get a great channel  strip , don t be scared of second , it s build like a tank ...

to emphases what @Bapu said , the combo console 1 + fader port ( mine is the single fader) is super powerfull .... 

I agree, I have Console 1 and Faderport 8, and it’s awesome with Studio One.