Mona Lisa Cover (featuring Bacco on vocals)

markno999

Hello, finally made it to the new Bandlab Forum.    Good to see a lot a familiar people here.

Have been working on a cover of Mona Lisa for awhile and finally think it is close to complete so looking for critiques or suggestions.    This version is loosely based on the Nat King Cole hit, however, does have some elements pop, country, etc...   Bacco Music had posted an acoustic cover of this song on the old Cakewalk forum and I asked him to re-record the vocals for this backing track.   He did a fantastic job on the vocals and contributed greatly to the overall direction of the backing track.  Link below.  Thx.

https://www.soundclick.com/html5/v4/player.cfm?songID=13880243

Regards

• Like 1

Thanks everyone for the listen and comments.   I was thinking initially that the mix may be a bit too bass heavy but I guess it works.     There is a lot going on in the track so I always worry about something like too much bottom end or lower mids stepping on everything else.    Fortunately Eastwest Hollywood Strings  is pretty good at fitting into mixes without a lot of tweaking as it is very well recorded.   

Used the new UAD Capitol Studio Chambers on the Lead Vocal, strings, guitar and a little bit of the bass.    Just a fantastic plug.   Also used Line 6 Helix Native on the guitars.  

Of course at the end of the day the vocals make or break the track so thanks to Bacco for delivering a powerful vocal performance.    

Regards

Outstanding version! Props!

I just wish Grits Ain't Groceries didn't pop into my head every time I see the topic title. 😖

I hear this song several times a week on the Slacker (LiveXLive) Modern Blues channel. Here are the lyrics from the Little Milton version. You'll see what I mean.

If I don't love you, baby
Grits ain't grocery
Eggs ain't poultry
And Mona Lisa was a man

Oh yeah, let's get into it, listen

All around the world I'd rather be a fly
I'd lite on my baby 'n stay with my woman 'till I die
With a toothpick in my hand I'd dig a ten foot ditch
And run all through the jungle fightin' lions with a switch

Because you know I love you, baby
Ooh you know I love you baby, yeah
Now if I don't love you baby, I tell you
Grits ain't grocery, eggs ain't poultry
And Mona Lisa was a man

Oh baby, Uh! Listen

All around the world
I've got blisters on my feet
I'm trying to find my baby 
And bring her home with me
You better run into me baby and-a be convinced
If you don't run into me right now, woman
You ain't got no sense

Because you know I love you, baby
Oh, you know I love you baby, yeah!
Well, if I don't love you baby I tell ya
Grits ain't grocery, eggs ain't poultry
And Mona Lisa was a man

C'mon y'all
Hit me!
Ooh baby, listen

All around the world I never will forget
I lost all my money, my woman and my pet
But I've got to have you baby
And I'll settle for nothing less
Give up all my good time, baby
And stay for happiness

Because you know I love you baby, yeah
Oh, you know I love you baby, yeah

Well, if I don't love you baby, I tell ya
Grits ain't grocery
Eggs ain't poultry
And Mona Lisa was a man

Oh!
Come on
Baby!
Hit me, band!
Yeah!

FADES
A-don't you know I love you, baby
Ev'ryday and.

Edited by John Maar

Hey, Mark,

It's absolutely FANTASTIC to see you finally made it over here to the new forum!😀

This amazing cover is absolutely outstanding!👍

As always, you did a spectacular job on recreating all the elements of the original song and arrangement, but added a really cool modern vibe, and your excellent production skills really shine through on this radio-ready mix.

Outstanding performances on all the instrumentation, as usual from you, I love that creamy guitar tone and tasty playing, and Bacco's vocals were phenomenal!

This is probably one of the first songs I ever heard in my life, at around 2 or 3 years old, because my parents loved Nat King Coal and had all of his albums on 16 RPM vinyl albums.  Believe it or not, I think they're still all packed in boxes up in my attic!  This song brings back a lot of warm memories from my childhood.😀

Anyway, it's always great to hear something new from you, and really good to see you around on the new forum.  I'm looking forward to hearing some more soon, don't be a stranger, buddy!

Have a good one, Mark!
Bob

Johnbee58 - Thanks John, appreciate that.

John Maar  - Thanks for listening.

Bob -  Hope your doing well and very glad to hear this song brought back good memories.   My parents were NKK fans so was also lucky to hear this stuff growing up too.     Have been thinking about picking up a turntable lately as I miss the groove noise (seriously).   Glad to see you back at writing and recording, I know you took a break for awhile.  Haven't been too active lately due to work but will check out your new stuff.

Thanks Wookie, appreciate the mix review.    Was worried about a few elements and may take a stab at fixing a few of them when time allows.  Hope all is well in your world.

Regards

Edited by markno999