Tested: Where Does The Tone Come From In Electric Guitar Wood??

Jesse Screed

3 hours ago, Notes_Norton said:

Take the strings off your guitar, or mute them, plug the guitar in, and scream into the pickup. Unless your pickups are defective, no matter how hard you scream, no matter what pitch you scream, nothing is going to come out of the amp's speaker.

It depends on the guitar. My across-the-street neighbor when I lived in Germany had an off-brand guitar (below Teisco) that you could sing through the pick-ups.

• Like 1

On 2/25/2022 at 7:26 AM, Notes_Norton said:

OK, I'm going to get serious here, and go on a minor rant.

IMPORTANT: This applies to electric guitars only, not acoustic ones.

Tonewood, Schmonewood.

A guitar pickup is a magnetic device, NOT an acoustic one. When studying electronics in college (I was a Cable TV field engineer for a few years) I learned how to make electricity. Move something that reacts to magnetic forces over a magnet. It's basically how the power company makes the electricity for the grid.

If you pass a magnet over a wire, it generates electricity in the wire. If you pass the wire over a magnet, it creates electricity in the wire. 

On the guitar, the vibrating strings disturb the magnetic field of the guitar's pickup and generate a tiny amount of electricity in the coil surrounding the pickup. This is 100% magnetic, not acoustic, and the electricity generated mimics the vibration frequency of the strings. True, the wood will vibrate too, but it is less than 1% as much as the strings, and in electronics anything less than 10% is negligible. All the resistors, capacitors and everything else in your guitar is built to ± 10%.

Take the strings off your guitar, or mute them, plug the guitar in, and scream into the pickup. Unless your pickups are defective, no matter how hard you scream, no matter what pitch you scream, nothing is going to come out of the amp's speaker. Try it. So it is a matter of logic, that if your loud scream doesn't make a difference, why would tonewood make a difference?

The whole concept of making an electric guitar is to make the guitar as stiff as possible to keep the guitar in tune and to allow the strings to vibrate as long as possible for sustain. Thus, the influence of the wood is so small, it makes no difference to the vibration of the strings.

After the electric field generated by the strings disturbing the pickup's magnetic field (called the signal) leaves the pickup, it goes through a tone circuit (most just cut or allow the high frequencies to pass), a volume circuit (that cuts the volume) through various FX devices (optional) to the preamp in your amplifier.

The preamp boosts the signal and adds various FX circuits. Then it goes to the amplifier which boosts it even more, then it's sent to the speaker where the signal and all the distortions caused by the circuitry, but in a much larger amplitude, vibrates the cone by using that magnetic signal to disturb the permanent magnet field and thus move the voice coil, attached to the cone in and out generating the sound.

BTW, everything the circuitry does once the signal leaves the pickup distorts the sound. Even the things that affect the sound that we love like fuzz, tube compression, and so on are technically distortions of the original signal.

IMO, Tonewood for an electric guitar is nothing but a marketing ploy to separate you from your hard-earned dollars.

That is, unless your pickup is a piezo one. They work on vibration, which is so slight, they require an immediate pre-amp built into the guitar. The signal generated by the piezo is so small, the resistance of the guitar cord would eat it all up before it gets to your amp. Unlike the mag pickups, the piezo works by turning physical vibrations into electricity.

Insights, incites, and probably a huge debate by Notes ♫

Thank You for sharing that Notes ! Did you know ,

SeNb20O.png

Kenny

Edited by kennywtelejazz
  • Haha 1

On 2/24/2022 at 4:16 PM, craigb said:

So...  Strummy is now learning that you can't say either pen is or pus sy, ya? 🤔

How did your post sneak past the radar ?

On 2/25/2022 at 7:08 AM, RobertWS said:

Haven't you heard?  According to the woke folk, we're all Ken dolls!

So all the woke folk are now saying we are all just a bunch of nuttless wonders with nothing more that a smooth stump bump where all the Nads are supposed to be just like Barbies Ken ?.

Yuck ! No Ken Do ....

signed ,

Kenny ! a man that knows as he gets older that it's OK  to buy pairs of socks that comes in three's so he can stuff one down south into his gradually shrinking  man lump .

Not Ken the original dick less wonder that dated Barbie way back in the day  when I was a kid . It's no wonder or surprise Barbie left him for another girl ...

Edited by kennywtelejazz

8 hours ago, kennywtelejazz said:
On 2/25/2022 at 12:16 AM, craigb said:

So...  Strummy is now learning that you can't say either pen is or pus sy, ya? 🤔

How did your post sneak past the radar ?

CraigB has employed the insertion of a small-fonted space into both the p***y and the p***s.

Simples K e n n ☺️

On 2/25/2022 at 6:32 PM, 57Gregy said:

It depends on the guitar. My across-the-street neighbor when I lived in Germany had an off-brand guitar (below Teisco) that you could sing through the pick-ups.

I've got an old mixer who's mic transformers are so old, on one channel you can shout at it, and it'll pick it up.  Apparently this is a common issue with old transformers - after a while they become microphonic.  

Pickup design isn't that different to transformers, so I guess there's no reason why this can't happen with them too... except given this guitar was brand new, the pickups are probably defective.

6 minutes ago, Notes_Norton said:

If your pickup acts as a microphone, it's broken.

If a pickup isn't mounted well, it's possible the sound waves from someone shouting at it could move it.  Since the guitar strings are right there, the magnetic field would be disturbed and current generated.

Caveat, I've never tried this since I reserve my shouting for bass players who are always late.

• Haha 2

On 2/28/2022 at 10:39 AM, RobertWS said:

If a pickup isn't mounted well, it's possible the sound waves from someone shouting at it could move it.  Since the guitar strings are right there, the magnetic field would be disturbed and current generated.

Caveat, I've never tried this since I reserve my shouting for bass players who are always late.

The experiment is to take the strings off (easy to do while changing them) or mute the strings.

I tried this with my Parker and even with my hollow body 1970 Gibson ES330 when changing strings. Nothing comes out the speaker.

Notes ♫

• Great Idea 1