Tested: Where Does The Tone Come From In Electric Guitar Wood??

Jesse Screed

https://usa.yamaha.com/products/contents/guitars_basses/difference/rd.html

The clincher for me was I.R.A technology🙃

(As an aside, I was walking on the beach the other day and found some magic beads.  I think they were left there by extraterrestrials.  Since finding them my mixes have improved 20% to 40%.)

I.R.A. (INITIAL RESPONSE ACCELERATION)

Any guitar benefits from being "played in," a process in which the instrument matures and opens up as the stresses between the wood and finish, neck and fingerboard, and body and hardware are released, resulting in better sound and playability.

Yamaha’s exclusive Initial Response Acceleration (IRA) technology releases those stresses by applying specific vibrations to the completed instruments as part of the crafting process and gives a "played in" guitar from day one.

The evidence is below.

image.png.880f47fdb53c0c22ac887a8d7889e222.png

Also, Rush had a good song

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pI0tOQmKx7w

4 hours ago, DeeringAmps said:

Benedetto explained the same phenomenon years ago at a Guild of American Luthiers workshop. Now granted he builds archtops. Read into it what you like. He was convinced…

t

I played 2 Benedetto's Arch Tops a guitarist / guitar collector friend of mine owned one night  . He asked me what I thought of the guitars and I told him  I was pretty impressed with the quality of the woods and the build . I asked him how much they cost and he told me they cost North of 25 Grand apiece . Now don't get me wrong I'm sure they were worth every penny and all . The thing is I have yet to have had that type of money to spend on any guitar ever . After the thrill of playing them  wore off I went back to playing The Gibson Factory Second L 5 I had been playing ( also one of his guitars ) . Truthfully speaking I could be very happy with a Gibson L 5 😃

2 hours ago, craigb said:

(That concrete sounded pretty sweet to my ears!)

Yes I feel the same way about the tone the concrete body Strat  had .

When I was younger I saw Led Zeppelin a number of times (over the course of a few years ).

While at those concerts, I can say with total certainty ..Jimmy Page "still sounded fantastic" when he switched over from  his Les Paul to playing his Danelectro .....

tumblr_p8wbvopnxb1uf17bso1_1280.jpg

For those with an interest ....the bodies of Danelectro and some Silvertone guitars are constructed of Masonite

https://luthierylabs.com/laboratory/materials-hardware/woods-etc/masonite/

Kenny

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, SteveStrummerUK said:

Jesus H, we can't even say pu55y now.

fc24455471bdfbca79a132780a29d3e9.png

Pu$$y                                                                Pu$$y      Pu$$y

1605883930_14114                   87664-toy-minion-pictures-universal-who-

Pu$$y                                                                                               Pu$$y                 

bob_waving_by_minionfan1024_de3gn5h-fullminions-cartoon-png-transparent-www.quot

Kenny

10 minutes ago, kennywtelejazz said:

fc24455471bdfbca79a132780a29d3e9.png

Pu$$y                                                                Pu$$y      Pu$$y

1605883930_14114                   87664-toy-minion-pictures-universal-who-

Pu$$y                                                                                               Pu$$y                 

bob_waving_by_minionfan1024_de3gn5h-fullminions-cartoon-png-transparent-www.quot

Kenny

What is going on over here ? Would you guys please stop yelling my last name !

007_Octopussy_LANDSCAPE.jpg

Kenny

Edited by kennywtelejazz

OK, I'm going to get serious here, and go on a minor rant.

IMPORTANT: This applies to electric guitars only, not acoustic ones.

Tonewood, Schmonewood.

A guitar pickup is a magnetic device, NOT an acoustic one. When studying electronics in college (I was a Cable TV field engineer for a few years) I learned how to make electricity. Move something that reacts to magnetic forces over a magnet. It's basically how the power company makes the electricity for the grid.

If you pass a magnet over a wire, it generates electricity in the wire. If you pass the wire over a magnet, it creates electricity in the wire. 

On the guitar, the vibrating strings disturb the magnetic field of the guitar's pickup and generate a tiny amount of electricity in the coil surrounding the pickup. This is 100% magnetic, not acoustic, and the electricity generated mimics the vibration frequency of the strings. True, the wood will vibrate too, but it is less than 1% as much as the strings, and in electronics anything less than 10% is negligible. All the resistors, capacitors and everything else in your guitar is built to ± 10%.

Take the strings off your guitar, or mute them, plug the guitar in, and scream into the pickup. Unless your pickups are defective, no matter how hard you scream, no matter what pitch you scream, nothing is going to come out of the amp's speaker. Try it. So it is a matter of logic, that if your loud scream doesn't make a difference, why would tonewood make a difference?

The whole concept of making an electric guitar is to make the guitar as stiff as possible to keep the guitar in tune and to allow the strings to vibrate as long as possible for sustain. Thus, the influence of the wood is so small, it makes no difference to the vibration of the strings.

After the electric field generated by the strings disturbing the pickup's magnetic field (called the signal) leaves the pickup, it goes through a tone circuit (most just cut or allow the high frequencies to pass), a volume circuit (that cuts the volume) through various FX devices (optional) to the preamp in your amplifier.

The preamp boosts the signal and adds various FX circuits. Then it goes to the amplifier which boosts it even more, then it's sent to the speaker where the signal and all the distortions caused by the circuitry, but in a much larger amplitude, vibrates the cone by using that magnetic signal to disturb the permanent magnet field and thus move the voice coil, attached to the cone in and out generating the sound.

BTW, everything the circuitry does once the signal leaves the pickup distorts the sound. Even the things that affect the sound that we love like fuzz, tube compression, and so on are technically distortions of the original signal.

IMO, Tonewood for an electric guitar is nothing but a marketing ploy to separate you from your hard-earned dollars.

That is, unless your pickup is a piezo one. They work on vibration, which is so slight, they require an immediate pre-amp built into the guitar. The signal generated by the piezo is so small, the resistance of the guitar cord would eat it all up before it gets to your amp. Unlike the mag pickups, the piezo works by turning physical vibrations into electricity.

Insights, incites, and probably a huge debate by Notes ♫

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1