When the Levee Breaks

bitflipper

The real heroes of this series are Mark Johnson and Enzo Buono, who record and mix those productions. It's hard enough keeping everybody in one band in tune, much less people across 30 countries, some playing non-Western instruments and disparate styles. Any of these could be a class in the art of mixing. Note how different parts and voices are brought up in the mix to coincide with their video vignettes that introduce them, after which it's easy to pick them out of the mix.

Still one of the best is the very first one they did. Clearly they've made enough in donations to upgrade their gear since this one.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

All of these songs are available on CD or MP3. I bought one titled "Songs Around the World 10 Year Anniversary (Remastered) Edition". It's been my falling-asleep music for the past few nights. Good stuff. My favorite cuts are the not-so-familiar tunes, e.g. Biko.

However, last night I awoke with a start after realizing they'd altered the harmonies on the chorus of "All You Need is Love". Specifically, they took out George Harrison's descending part. It's a small thing, but I don't think I can fall asleep to that one anymore. It's like having one dark pixel on your display: once noticed you cannot un-see it.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

On 2/24/2022 at 7:17 AM, pwalpwal said:

i love this one

Wow, 50 years.... Feeling really, really old. Yet, I still maintain that it was a magical musical time back then. So much creativity. Nothing like it sense. Many songs are still pertinent, touching the soul, and nice to listen to. 

On 2/23/2022 at 7:13 AM, bitflipper said:

Best version ever, featuring JP Jones, Derek Trucks, Susan Tedeschi and a bunch of other awesome players. I especially liked the singer from New Zealand.

According to the YouTube description, this song dates back to 1929.

LMAO!  Did you see what happened at about 1:07?  😆