Tested: Where Does The Tone Come From In An Electric Guitar String?

kennywtelejazz

On 2/24/2022 at 10:46 AM, bitflipper said:

I also used FingerEase. Remember that stuff? You'd spray it on the strings to make them slippery. Sure, it attracted dirt and oil and assured the strings would only last a week before they suddenly began drawing blood. But on a fresh set of strings it was like fingering a wet, uh, grapefruit.

I used to use it myself when I first became aware of it . True story.  I have seen Joe Pass  back stage spray a rag and wipe Finger Ease on his guitar strings and finger board before a gig to give him some slippery  .

On 2/24/2022 at 12:27 PM, craigb said:

Super Slinkies and Finger Ease (which I still have an old can of) were my go-to's back in the 80's. 

When I finally gave up using  The Black Diamond Barbed Wire Signature edition of strings ,   I eventually found E B Slinkys . Took me years to go from 9 's to 10's .

On 2/25/2022 at 10:26 AM, 57Gregy said:

We always  used WD-40.

I tried WD-40. a number of time  ...Finger Ease and WD used to leave some gunk  .On a Maple Tele neck , as it built up over time it would turn areas of my guitar neck into  patches of spotty black sticky oil spills omg.gif

In my case I  found lighter fluid to work better for my needs . Lighter fluid evaporated unlike WD and it didn't attract dust and leave a layer of finger grime ....

I have also used rubbing alcohol when I didn't have anything else around

nice talking w you guys ,

Kenny

Edited by kennywtelejazz