I-rig keys I/O (49) - some notes not sending midi - FIXED!

jerrydf

I've had the i-rig 49 Keys for a couple of months now and I haven't ventured too far into it apart from just using it as a simple keyboard driving Kontakt and Sampletank both standalone and in Cubase and Cakewalk (on Windows 10).

Today I noticed a key wasn't sounding (either in Cubase, Cakewalk,  or on those standalone hosts) and so I checked other keys and it seems every eight semitones keys don't produce a note in those apps, and doesn't appear to be sending midi messages. The keys not producing sound (going up the keyboard) are: G#, E, C, G#, etc.

I've reset the i-rig (i.e. through Edit Mode), and that didn't do anything to help. I suspect there may be some sort of mapping issue somewhere, but I'm rather lost for what to try next. Has anyone seen this before, or can anyone offer any remedy?

Edited by jerrydf

49 minutes ago, jerrydf said:

I've had the i-rig 49 Keys for a couple of months now and I haven't ventured too far into it apart from just using it as a simple keyboard driving Kontakt and Sampletank both standalone and in Cubase and Cakewalk (on Windows 10).

Today I noticed a key wasn't sounding (either in Cubase, Cakewalk,  or on those standalone hosts) and so I checked other keys and it seems every eight semitones keys don't produce a note in those apps, and doesn't appear to be sending midi messages. The keys not producing sound (going up the keyboard) are: G#, E, C, G#, etc.

I've reset the i-rig (i.e. through Edit Mode), and that didn't do anything to help. I suspect there may be some sort of mapping issue somewhere, but I'm rather lost for what to try next. Has anyone seen this before, or can anyone offer any remedy?

I don't know anything about that specific keyboard model, but since you already did a reset it's unlikely to be a mapping issue.

But here's a suggestion for testing the MIDI input to your computer and bypassing your DAW...

Run the free utility "MIDI-OX" to display the MIDI messages as you press all the keys on your keyboard, one at a time. You should see a MIDI message for note on and note off for each of them. If the keyboard is not sending note messages for all keys, it might be time to check out your warranty since it's only a couple of months old.

http://www.midiox.com/

Edited by abacab
  • Thanks 1
  • Great Idea 1

So, that was strange. I monitored the notes, and sure enough, I had the fault.  So, just playing around I checked other midi instructions, and tried out the octave up/down pad. That fixed the problem - all notes now work! I don't know how/what happened, but there you go.

Anyway, thanks again Acaab - I'll keep Midi-Ox handy just in case.

• Like 2