Not able to open old projects with Breverb plugin

Ian Scanlan

Question

As per title. I have old projects from about 3 years ago. I try to open them but cakewalk flickers into life and then shuts down. Using the safe mode, I have pinpointed the issue to be with projects where I have used Breverb. Anybody else had this problem? Of course, I could open the old projects with safe mode, insert breverb then, and save, but I just wanted to know if there was any way of reopening these old projects with breverb still intact. Any help appreciated.

7 answers to this question

9 hours ago, Ian Scanlan said:

As per title. I have old projects from about 3 years ago. I try to open them but cakewalk flickers into life and then shuts down.

Which specific version of Breverb is this

Is Breverb inserted as a prochannel module or in a track or bus effect rack?

I opened an older project with the Cakewalk version of Breverb 2 in a prochannel on a bus and this opened and played fine.

This is on a PC configured as per my signature.

Maybe try uninstalling and reinstalling Breverb

You might want to confirm you have the latest version as downloaded from your Overloud account

https://overloud.com/user/login

I also had issues with it a long time ago so haven't bothered with it for years. It wasn't that great anyway. I still use the old Lexicon and mostly now the Acon Verberate Basic 2. It's free. It's VST3 64 bit, its light loud on CPU and it has absolutely no settings which I like.    Acustica has a lot of top quality free plug ins. https://acondigital.com/

My philosophy is if a plug in causes me any issues it's tossed out. There are literally 100's of free plug ins that are as stable as a rock.  

https://plugins4free.com/

https://www.kvraudio.com/plugins/best-free-plugins

So you have a choice. Jump through a bunch of hoops and spend a few hours and get Breverb working, or take 3 minutes to install something better. OK, that's flawed thinking because it will take you a few hours to test them all and find one you like, but once you've done that your are good for the next 5-10 years.

Edited by John Vere
  • Great Idea 1

So are you able to insert Breverb into a new project and it works OK? It's just old projects that crash?

Maybe it's a case of Breverb (or a dependency) no longer located in the same path that it was previously. The version of Breverb that shipped with SONAR was actually a different version than the one shipped from Overloud. That's because the version licensed with SONAR would only work within SONAR, and Overloud graciously offered SONAR users a free crossgrade to a DAW-agnostic version when SONAR became Cakewalk by BandLab.

I just had a look here and I have three different versions of Breverb installed (ProChannel, SONAR and Overloud). Each is in a different location, each has a different datestamp, file size,  internal version number and CLSID. As far as the project is concerned, they are three separate plugins, unrelated beyond their names. If your old project referenced a CLSID that no longer exists, that could be your problem.

Directory of C:\Program Files\Cakewalk\Shared Utilities\Internal

09/26/2012  11:30 AM         3,247,104 BREVERB 2_64.dll
               1 File(s)      3,247,104 bytes

Directory of C:\Program Files\Cakewalk\VstPlugins\BREVERB SONAR

11/08/2018  11:48 AM         6,089,728 BREVERB 2 Cakewalk-64.dll
               1 File(s)      6,089,728 bytes

Directory of C:\Program Files\Cakewalk\VstPlugins\Overloud

11/29/2017  05:08 PM         6,243,520 BREVERB 2 Cakewalk-64.dll
               1 File(s)      6,243,520 bytes

8 hours ago, John Vere said:

So you have a choice. Jump through a bunch of hoops and spend a few hours and get Breverb working, or take 3 minutes to install something better. OK, that's flawed thinking because it will take you a few hours to test them all and find one you like, but once you've done that your are good for the next 5-10 years.

Or you could scoot over to Pluginboutique, pick up iZotope's Exponential Phoenix Stereo Reverb for $10 and avoid the hours of testing. It will sound better than anything you've ever heard. Once I got Phoenix I wanted to change the reverb on every existing project anyway.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Starship Krupa said:

Or you could scoot over to Pluginboutique, pick up iZotope's Exponential Phoenix Stereo Reverb for $10 and avoid the hours of testing. It will sound better than anything you've ever heard. Once I got Phoenix I wanted to change the reverb on every existing project anyway.

Dang it you're always giving me GAS!  Guess where I'm headed?

15 minutes later: Done and downloaded... Cost $7.51 Can because I had some virtual cash sitting there. They also gave me a cool looking synth called Alalog Lab intro by Arturia.

Edited by John Vere

3 hours ago, Starship Krupa said:

IK Sunset Sound!